1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony SAT-HD300 but no RF Antenna!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Vermonter, Nov 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vermonter

Vermonter Cool Member

Nov 15, 2004
    Enthusiasts; Yesterday in my usual CC/BB sweepthrough I found the Sony HD-300 box for $269.. It was "open box" but it came in the original box, was resealed etc..looked like a local return. Since I want HD and everyone raves about this box I nabbed it.

Upon opening it it was complete except for the RF antenna that jacks into the rear of the unit. On the Sony site they want $76 (!) for this part.

Question..any way to "make" an RF antenna? looks like a 1/4" phone jack and some wire.

Many thanks!

2. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Most of Vermont has minimal broadcast TV coverage. What you need for an antenna depends on where you are and what you want to receive. If you furnish your zip code, there are people here who can help you.

3. Vermonter

Vermonter Cool Member

Nov 15, 2004
    I'm sorry but perhaps I wasn't clear. The Sony STB has provision for a RF antenna to function with the included IR/RF remote. However the wire and attached antenna to allow the remote to function was not included..and so I am trying to ascertain if I can "build" an RF antenna for the STB.

Regarding the antenna to receive OTA..yup there ain't nothin' much in VT..in fact there are no stations in northern VT broadcasting DTV..my only feed comes from northern NY (Mountain lake PBS).

So...therein lies the need for Directv!

Thanks!

4. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Just so we are clear, the OP is talking about the antenna for use with an RF (UHF) remote.
    I would just get the connector and experiment with various lengths of wire.

5. stevesmall

stevesmall AllStar

Jul 28, 2004
    Do you really need the RF remote antenna ? if not just go into the setting and change it from rf

6. stevesmall

stevesmall AllStar

Jul 28, 2004
    the rf remote antenna has nothing to do with the ota signal at all, it is strictly for the remote control to operate thru walls and such

7. JTIGHE

JTIGHE Cool Member

Jul 9, 2004
    You can make one yourself. If you can get the same jack type at RS, just hang a piece of wire in the back of the box Acts the same as the RF antenna
    I did when we lost one and it worked fine..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.