1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sorry I switched, now what?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by shalverson, Dec 22, 2011.

1. shalverson

shalverson AllStar

Oct 27, 2003
    I switched from DTV to Dish Network on 10/29/2011. I'm sorry I switched and was wondering what my options are if any to go back to DTV without costing a lot of money?

Thanks for your help!

Scott

2. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    I dont suppose you suspended your Directv account in case you didnt like Dish?

From the short time you have been away (and I assume you have sent all the Directv boxes back) you probably dont have any way to get a discount to come back.

You can try calling Directv and see what they can do and if they can help with your Dish ETF (could be a large fee).

You might have to chalk it up to experience of not thinking it through (after only 1 month you are unhappy) and either sit it out for 2 years or pay the fees and come back.

3. shalverson

shalverson AllStar

Oct 27, 2003
    Thanks for your quick reply.

No, I did not suspend service. I just cancelled and returned equipment. I thought I was getting a $200 gift card from Amazon, but no one at Dish seems to be familiar with that offer. Have had to reset receiver 3 times already from freezing up and just feel DTV had better hardware and service.

Does anyone know of a inexpensive way to get out of Dish Networks contract?

Maybe I will have to wait the two years out...very painful!

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I don't see any way of getting out of the contract. Some states have laws to let you out, but those periods are measured in days (as little as three) if they even have them.

5. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    I would suggest you call Dish for a service visit you should not have that problem so soon after "new Install" That may make your wait on commit end not seem so long.

6. n3vino

n3vino Godfather

Oct 2, 2011
    Leon...
    What made you think you were getting a gift card?

7. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    It pays off to do "Proper Research" and "Due Diligence" before you leap to a New Service just to save a few bucks.

There are a lot of Scams out there for people who are either Greedy or trying to save some money and Buyer Beware!!!

What happened to your Discount Gift Card or Rebate?

I thought Amazon.Com stood behind their etailers. Why can't they help you with this person or company that didn't stand behind the "Gift Card".

8. MarkG21

MarkG21 AllStar

Jan 3, 2010
    I would call DTV and see what they can do for you. I'm sure they would like to have you back.

9. shalverson

shalverson AllStar

Oct 27, 2003
    Sorry for some of the confusion, I'll try to clarify. Dish Network advertised a promotion on Amazon's website for a $200 amazon gift card for signing a 2 year contract for there service. Not only that, they offer the usual incentives for signing up, $25.00 off your bill for one year, free premium channels for three months etc.

Well it took about 10 minutes to sign up for there service. This was on 10/29/2011. Installation was within two days. So far so good. Started to have some hardware issues, green screen, pixelation, picture freezing, etc. Tech. support got me through it by just unplugging receiver and plugging back in. I will try to get a replacement if this happens one more time.

I called Dish to get an update on the free gift card. I actually got transferred seven times before someone even heard about the promotion. The man said it all comes down to whoever took my order failed to enter the correct promotion code (04amzn) if I remember correct. They told me there's nothing they can do about it now and the best they could do was credit my account $50.

Needless to say, I did find one woman at the executive level that promised she would help. This was after a total of 2-1/2 hrs. on the phone! It's been just over two weeks without any contact since.

I guess I'll just ride it out, and maybe the gift card will show up some day or I'll ride the contract out which ever comes first.

Thanks for everyones input.

10. MarkG21

MarkG21 AllStar

Jan 3, 2010
    SOunds like you got a raw deal.

I would try calling the retention dept for dish network regarding the Amazon Gift Card and see what they can do. They usually have more power to give credits.

That $50 credit they just offered you is a slap in the face.

11. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    If you don't have your DVR on a UPS, you might try adding one. You could be having power issues and the DISH DVR might be more sensitive. It eliminated problems I had with my DIRECTV DVR, like lock ups, blank recordings, etc.

12. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    Was this a banner ad or an order on Amazon? If an order on Amazon then contact them as they will have a record of it and your order. If it was a Dish banner ad that took you to their site then keep pestering Dish.

Also FYI if Dish are the same as Directv then the ETF fees drop each month. For example Directv is $20 per month of the 2 years remaining. So if you leave it 1 yr you would have a $240 ETF for the remaining 12 months. Given that your Dish promotions would expire and you could get new customer promotions from Directv then you may want to jump ship then as you would not be out of pocket.

13. davejacobson

davejacobson Legend

Mar 14, 2005
    Sounds like an amazon promotion not a dish promotion. These 2nd or third party "deals" can be a ripoff. Dish has little control over that. Other than the $200 promotion is there and issue with the system?

14. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    When you made your Purchase on AMAzon Have you rated your purchase (Comments)yet?

The reason I ask- I ordered a Xbox live card (Gift card $39 for a year) When I got it they charged me $15.98 Shipping!!!!

I rated the service 1 star and explained I thought $15.98 was a gouge for USPS Servcie.

Right after I pressed Enter-My home phone phone rang and the "seller" quickly offered me a $10 credit as it was a misunderstanding in the order process. I took it. You may wish to try. IF you have rated it already then contact the seller on AMAZON site anyway and inquire what gives?

15. txfeinbergs

txfeinbergs Legend

Nov 15, 2005
    This deal is still going on i.e. try putting a Samsung UN60D8000 TV in your cart and you will see what he is talking about. Honestly, I would work this through Amazon, and not Dish. They are the one that should fix this on their end as they are the ones that promised you the deal.

16. shalverson

shalverson AllStar

Oct 27, 2003
    Again, I thank everyone for there suggestions and comments.

As far as the receiver (Model 722K) goes, it's been okay for a few weeks now. Crossing my fingers. I do have it plugged in to a Monster Power Center also.

I'm still upset about the gift card, but I haven't given up yet. I copied the offer off of Amazon's site. I actually called Amazon to see if they had anything to do with it, but it is an offer that has nothing to do with Amazon, and the link brings you to Dish Network's website. Here's what it looks like.

Special Offers and Product Promotions
    Get a $200 Amazon.com Gift Card: Sign up for DISH Network and receive a $200 Amazon.com Gift Card. Other restrictions apply. Check out the complete details online (brings you to the DISH Network website) or call (800) 680-8574 and provide offer code 04AMZN.

That's a good idea, ride out the contract for the first year and then the ETF per my contract is $17.50/month. That can probably be made up with new customer offers.

Thanks again to all!

17. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I forgot and I can't find it under DirecTV's TOS, but how long does a former customer have be go gone from DirecTV before they can returned and be considered a new customer? 6 months; 1 year; 2 years ???

18. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    It can be worked around. He can put it in his wifes name.

19. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    It sounds like people think the OP will get new customer offers after one year. I remember one thread where the OP said he had left in Jan 2010 and when he tried in Oct/Nov this year (20+ months), he was told he wasn't considered a new customer until the full two years by DirecTV. Just want to clarify what the time period is so the OP has all the correct information before he makes a decision. Putting the system in his wife's name doesn't always work.

20. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    But to answer your question, in most situations, its 2 years...I don't recommend trying to skirt the rules..