1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sort order in folders?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bigrig, Nov 13, 2010.

If your playlist is sorted A-Z, how are episodes in folders sorted?

1. A-Z

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. By record date

100.0%
  1. bigrig

bigrig AllStar

Aug 7, 2002
    I have my programs arranged alphabetically, and for a second I thought the latest software was sorting the shows in the folders by record date, which would be nice.

But it's not in every folder, one folder is sorted by record date, most are sorted by title, one folder is kind of a mix... WTF. 0x040E on a HR22.

Matt

2. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    I have both my HR21s sort the main playlist A-Z, and both sort within folders Newest-Oldest. It has been this way for over a year now I think and is not a new feature with the latest software.

3. bigrig

bigrig AllStar

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh! Any idea why mine doesn't work? Need to redo the repeat recordings?

4. bigrig

bigrig AllStar

Aug 7, 2002
    Always sorted by title with my previous HR21-700, and now with my HR22-100. I wasn't aware it had been changed, until one folder on my HR22 was sorted by date, and I investigated. Ignorance was bliss, but now I want answers! :p

5. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    I'm not sure what the problem could be. All I know is for the past year, both my HR21s have sorted within folders by date (Newest - Oldest) even though I have my main playlist set to sort A-Z.

Maybe some others could post some thoughts? Or maybe others are having same problem as you?

6. bigrig

bigrig AllStar

Aug 7, 2002
    I asked my friend who has a HR20, he said if he sorts the playlist A-Z, episodes in folder are also sorted A-Z.

I added a poll, lets get some data! Thanks.

7. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I spot-checked a couple of folders in my unified playlist, and they are sorting by "Date, Newest", even though the top-level is sorted "A-Z". I'm running the latest CE's tho, so not sure what I'd see if I was on the NR. I checked both an HR24-500 and an HR20-700.

8. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    My playlist is sorted by recording date, newest to oldest, so new recordings are always at the top, sort order inside folders is also the same, if I choose to playback from a folder, it always starts with the oldest recorded episode, so I can watch serial shows in order. I couldnt vote in the poll because it deosnt have an option for that.

9. bigrig

bigrig AllStar

Aug 7, 2002
    If you get a chance, try the A-Z sort and let me know what happens. Thanks.

10. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Mine are A-Z, and mine are HR20's. Any correlation? (does it just not work on the HR20?)

11. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I checked my HR20 this morning. Top level is A-Z, folders "date new". I'm on the latest CE, tho.

12. bigrig

bigrig AllStar

Aug 7, 2002
    Finally someone on my side in the poll! ;)

It's not just the HR20, it was that way on my HR21 a couple months ago, and on my HR22 now.

I don't know why though, trying to figure that out...

13. fornold

fornold Legend

Sep 4, 2006
    I have an HR20, HR21 and HR22, and it works on all three. Main list sorted A-Z, folders are sorted by date.

14. reggie

reggie Legend

Jul 8, 2007
    My HR21-700 are a-z in folders. I was just wondering why they would do something like that when you rarely look for a show my episode name. With episodes, you're almost always watching by date. Now I see I am one of the few who are not sorted by date.

I'd prefer oldest to newest because I always watch the oldest first. But at least with newest to oldest I'd always know the episode I wanted to watch was at the end.

15. bigrig

bigrig AllStar

Aug 7, 2002
    Sooo....anyone have any ideas on why the discrepancy, and how to get it fixed?

DirecTV support forums didn't yield anything - I emailed DirecTV about it, and they emailed back and said to call in; I can imagine trying to explain the issue to a CSR, and their reboot-themed response.

16. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Report it in the appropriate issues thread at the top of this forum. That thread is monitored by DirecTV for bug reports.

17. bigrig

bigrig AllStar

Aug 7, 2002
    Another weird sorting issue - "The Cat in the Hat" is up towards the top of the list in the C's, while "The Daily Show" and "The Office" are down in the T's.

18. mikeny

mikeny Hall Of Fame

Aug 20, 2006
    Sorry I read the poll wrong and answerd A-Z within the folders but they're clearly sorted by record date. I have the PlayList set to be A-Z. This is on the HR24-500.

19. bigrig

bigrig AllStar

Aug 7, 2002
    My squeaky wheel got greased - my DVR got 0x452 software, and episodes in folders are now sorted by date. :cool:

20. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    That's good...its been a work in progress for a while. ;)

Looks like this thread is toast. :D:lol: