Sound issue with smart tv

Discussion in 'Home Theater Audio' started by Clark Kent, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Clark Kent

Clark Kent AllStar

May 1, 2007
    I have a Sony x850d connected into a receiver for surround sound along with a PS4 and my Directv receiver. Sound works fine with the games and the cable, but when watching an app through the TV like Netflix or Vudu, the sound comes out through the TV and not the speakers. The receiver itself changes the readout to say "TV" but no sound comes out through the speakers.

2. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Usually that happens when you have the D* receiver connected to the TV. Or if the 'TV' selection on the audio/video receiver is set to bypass both audio and video to the TV. Also the TV selection on the AV remote usually means the TV and not a cable/sat receiver. Most AV remotes have a Cable/Sat selection.

IOW you need to ensure that when you select for the D* receiver that the AVR is selecting the right ports to see both video and audio.

Sent from my samus using Tapatalk

3. Clark Kent

Clark Kent AllStar

May 1, 2007
    I do have the sound of the TV set to external speakers. Is there a way to let the sound come out of the external speakers through the receiver? How would I set that up on the receiver end?

4. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Not knowing what AV receiver you have, I'll just tell you how I have mine set up.

Dish/Direct receiver to HDMI 2 on AV receiver.
    Cable/sat setting set to HDMI 2 on both Audio and Video

5. Clark Kent

Clark Kent AllStar

May 1, 2007
    The receiver is a Sony HR 34-700 and the connection goes from the TV into the receiver. Then the receiver out goes: Hd 2 Apple TV, Hd3 Directv, Hd4 ps4.

6. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Sony HR 34-700? I can find no reference to that on Sony's site or anywhere else. The only HR 34-700 I can find is a DirecTV DVR. At this point I can't help further because what you are claiming for an audio/video receiver doesn't seem to exist, or at least not those numbers.

7. Clark Kent

Clark Kent AllStar

May 1, 2007
    So sorry! Yes, that was my Directv receiver not the sound receiver. The Sony receiver is STR-DN1010.

8. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    OK, here's what you should be seeing:

HDMI from Apple TV to HDMI 2 on AVR
    HDMI from HR34 to HDMI 3 on AVR
    HDMI from PS4 to HDMI 4 on AVR

HDMI output from AVR to TV HDMI in.

That puts both sound and video through the Sony DN1010. And that sounds like what you are doing which leads me to believe you have been selecting the wrong thing on the remote for the DN1010. If you pick 'TV' then it usually does TV not the satellite receiver, and in order to get that sound to the DN101 you would need an optical cable from the TV to an optical in on the DN1010.

You should have a button labelled 'cable/sat' or some such and that's the one you want to configure in the DN1010's menu to select HDMI 3 as both video and audio. I'm firmly convinced it is a remote selection/configuration problem.

9. Clark Kent

Clark Kent AllStar

May 1, 2007
    So I need an optical cable from the TV to the receiver? And where would that go in the receiver?

10. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    IF you want TV sound like when you might use an app on the TV or watch OTA, then yes you would want an optical cable. It would plug into an optical input on the DN1010 if it has one, I can't remember if that one does or not. But then you need to configure the TV setting on the DN1010 to use that optical port.

But you do not need that if you are only watching the other devices.

11. Clark Kent

Clark Kent AllStar

May 1, 2007
    I'd love to have the sound come out of the external speakers when the TV is changed to Netflix or any other internal app. The problem is that while the other devices have their own HD input, there's nothing to change the receiver to in order to get those internal apps playing through the speakers.

12. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    OK, went back and read your original post. Everything is fine except that when you have TV or the apps on that TV playing the sound is only coming from your TV and not the AV receiver.

There is an optical port on your DN1010 and I think there is one on the TV too. The one on the DN1010 is an input, the one on the TV is an output. Get an optical cable and plug it in to those two ports. Then you need to tell your DN1010 that when "TV" is selected on the remote for it that the sound is coming from the optical port. On many AV receivers that is a default setting, not sure on yours.

Ensure the TV sound is set to external speakers. Sound should then play through your DN1010 to your surround speakers. You might have to play with the volume on the TV as how that works varies a bit.

Other than having an optical cable, you have everything needed to get the sound from the TV to play through the DN1010.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've got the same Sony AVR the TS does and it's a royal PITA! I'd like to buy a Sony 4K AVR, but I have to admit I'm afraid the 4K AVR would do the same thing the 1010 does. I have the 4K TV set to mute and it does control the AVR but the constant switching of the AVR when I switch feeds is enough to drive me up a wall. I usually have to dive for the 1010's remote after I switch feeds.

Rich

14. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Rich, you might remember I recently got an Onkyo NR757 to try for a bit. I'm keeping it! Works quite well and is easy to set everything up. Has 3 HDMI 4K ports fully implemented and 5 other HDMI ports that are not HDCP 2.2. Plenty of power, very configurable, just overall a very nice AVR. I'm not a Sony AVR fan but I think this Onkyo is much better in every way compared to a Sony. The NR757 is THX audio certified, they also have a NR656 which is not THX but otherwise very close in specs. The NR656 goes on sale now and then, so far the NR757 hasn't.

15. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    If you TV has an HDMI input that supports ARC (audio return channel) you need to connect that input to your audio receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    The DN1010 doesn't support ARC from what I remember.

That said, ARC is not the panacea that it is supposed to be. Lots of issues in many threads at AVSForums about ARC issues.

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I remember the Onkyo, I've considered it. I just checked Amazon and found this. I'm not sure if this one, which appears slightly different than the Onkyo for $699 that Amazon also has listed, is the same as yours. Here's a link to the $699 unit. The remotes are different, but the backs look...almost... the same. Any thoughts? One of the things that bothered me about the Onkyo is the lack of the HDMI1, HDMI2, etc, buttons on the remote. I do like the 3 HDCP 2.2 ports, what I don't understand is this: Do AP and NF need 2.2 protection? I kinda doubt that I'll ever get D* 4K hardware, so all I'd probably need for 4K is an FTV box. I already have an ATV4 box and would use that for some content, but that's not a 4K concern.

Also, do you have any optical ports hooked up? If you do, do you see the same switching problems I do on the Sony AVR?

Rich

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That's how I use the Smart features of my TV. When I switch from that setting to other settings, the 1010 keeps switching back to TV, which is fed from an optical port.

Rich

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I do get 5.1 sound when using the optical port of the TV to feed the 1010.

Rich

20. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    The first one is the previous model year, don't know what differences there are.

NF needs 2.2 protection on my Hopper, don't know if that is a requirement otherwise as I have no way to test. AP may or may not. I've got my Hopper 3 and FireTV box hooked to the ports that support 2.2.

And yes I do use optical. In fact 2 of them. One is for the Hopper 3 since Netflix on it won't do DD over HDMI for some odd reason, and the other for the TV sound for when I use one of the Smart Apps or watch OTA. On the Onkyo (and HK and Denon's too), I just configure the selection something like this:

Video = HDMIx
    Audio = Opticalx

Works just fine and not twiddling after the initial configuration is done.