1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound level fluxuating

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by tadam, Jun 13, 2009.

1. tadam

tadam Legend

Dec 8, 2006
    Has anyone experienced their sound fluxuating (volumes going slightly up and down)? I have heard this on two different receivers, on HDDVR and one HD. This happens on both HD and STD channels.

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Are these DIRECTV receivers connected to audio devices that have "volume leveling" capabilities?

3. tadam

tadam Legend

Dec 8, 2006
    Yes and no. The funny thing is I noticed it first on the TV that has auto volume control and it is set to "on".

4. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    This can be part of the problem. The leveler that I have on my TV takes several seconds to recover and I often have to strain to hear the audio after a loud commercial. It all but creates the problem that you describe.

5. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    "Auto Volume Controls" can cause this symptom. They're not perfect at keeping the average volume level consistent.

6. tadam

tadam Legend

Dec 8, 2006
    Two important things to note...

I've never heard it do this before and I am getting the same affect on my home theater sound as well.

7. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Does your home theater sound system have volume leveling enabled?

In "unmanned" audio leveling related to video production I see a problem once in awhile where using multiple "compressors" will duke it out in a battle of "anticipation". Both will "hear" something loud and both will clamp on it then the downstream compressor will see the clamp and try to boost the volume. When the first compressor lets up, the second one tries to cut the signal down.

It may be that DIRECTV has implemented some sort of volume leveling hardware in the receivers that is doing a similar battle with the volume leveling features of TVs and A/V receivers.

Then again, it is possible that DIRECTV is just messing with the audio levels, but I doubt it.

Is this symptom across the board or just on certain channels?

8. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    If that was the case many would be experiencing this.

For the OP: are you talking about commercials being louder?

9. tadam

tadam Legend

Dec 8, 2006
    I did not test this on all channels but it is doing it on both std and hd. I did not notice it on commercials.

Could the DTV switch have anything to do with it?

10. NK7Z

NK7Z New Member

Apr 19, 2009
    I have worked in Broadcast for 30 years, and this looks to me to be something being inserted by the sat company, and they appear to not be watching the audio levels at all...

Dave

11. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Is it a problem on local broadcast stations or all channels?

Without more definitive information about the channels that are exhibiting the symptoms, I'd be inclined to say no.

12. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    It would have to be affecting everyone on those channels if it was D*. SO far it seems to be affecting one poster. So that logic doesnt really make any sense with the info we have at hand.

13. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    We don't know what channels that the OP is talking about. Until the OP fesses up, we're kinda stuck in trying to pin down the problem.