1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound problem

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by westview, Dec 17, 2012.

1. westview

westview Mentor

Dec 27, 2011
    When I watch drama shows such as Greys, the Good Wife,etc. I have trouble understanding the dialog. I know my hearing is not the best, but my wife has the same problem. On news show or ball games I do not have this problem. Would any of the add on sound systems such as sound bars help this? Thanks for any help.

2. FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver All Star/Supporter

Dec 3, 2002
    On the road...
    What kind of speakers are you using? TV built in?

I have the same problem, quite often. I think it's because the shows are mixed for a 5.1 speaker system, and the TV isn't doing a good job pulling out the center channel and directing it to the R/L built in speakers. A sound bar that gives you L/C/R channels and the ability to adjust them would probably help a lot.

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If you think that this might be a problem, go into
    Menu, Settings, Audio and turn Dolby Digital to OFF and try the sounds this way.
    I did this with my HR24 and Vizio TV I have in the bedroom and it sounds better to me.

My Samsung in the den is using a Yamaha Surround sound system and it is awesome.
    I do have that TV hooked up with Component cables so I can use the TV speakers during the day while my son is asleep.
    I have it with the Dolby
    Digital on and do not have a problem with it.