1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound & Vision Iffy Genie Review

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Al K, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Al K

Al K New Member

Jan 23, 2004
    The April-May 2013 issue of Sound & Vision has a less than stellar review of the Genie. It says that the Genie is slower than the HR24 and has lags when the Genie was doing "other operations". On a few occasions it took a Mini more than a minute to display a picture". Several times the Mini locked up -froze and that the reviewer had to pull the plug to reboot.

"Once a recording started to macroblock and the froze. Several reboots were required during the review period."

Has anyone else experienced these issues? I was about to upgrade, but I don't want more hassels.

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I read that article too. Looking forward to people answering your question.

3. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    I have a HR34 since Sept. of 12. I haven't had and any issues and it has been working flawlessly since then.

4. sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    I was upgraded in mid December. Have noticed some freezing when the HR34 and both clients are in use at the same time. Also have had the issue with the HDMI cable not liking one of my TVs every few times it is turned on and saying it can't be viewed.

As for the speed haven't really noticed that as an issue.

5. inhd40

inhd40 Mentor

Jan 26, 2013
    I have never had an HR24, but I don't have a problem with the HR34. It seems responsive and plenty quick enough for me. The C31 however is a complete dog. I would say that I average resetting it once a day and it is extremely slow going through the guide and recording list, ect. Changing the channel takes at least 10 seconds and can be much longer.

6. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    :eek2:

7. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I've had a 34 a few months and about 3 times where a reset was needed. IMO, I'd get H25s instead of clients for 2 reasons...1.) They're their own tuner and won't tie up a Genie tuner, & 2.) The 25s are more stable.

Speed seems adequate to me with the only delays I notice are when deleting a recording after watching that takes about 5/6 seconds.

8. mloiterman

mloiterman Cool Member

Aug 20, 2007
    I have both the HR34 and HR24.

The HR34 is less polished, has more visual bugs, and is objectively slower. In general, it feel like its a late stage beta. It's workable, but it definitely needs work.

9. inazsully

inazsully Icon

Oct 3, 2006
    My question is, why come out with the HR44 so soon after the HR34? It seems that it has a different chip, smaller foot print, external power supply, internal wifi, smaller remote. I was told by a "D" installer to wait for the HR44.

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    it would better do not turn the thread offtopic :nono2:

11. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    My neighbor just switched from Dish to DirecTV and had an HR34 with 3 clients installed.... First thing he said was 'it is slow motion compared to Dish' and then asked how he could speed it up.

I told him if he wanted 'fast' receivers he'd have to go back to Dish Network. I told him he could do HR24s instead and that they would be a little faster than the HR34 and a lot faster than the clients... Based on posts here.....

12. vapor21

vapor21 Cool Member

Sep 1, 2012
    The HR44 is what the HR34 should had been. They rush the HR34 because of dish and the hopper. It was release before it was ready which is why even today it still has some bugs not as much as before but buggy nonetheless. This is why the HR44 is still not out yet, it was suppose to be in beta in our market three weeks ago but its not ready cause of the bugs the techs that do have them are reporting.

13. Racer88

Racer88 Icon

Sep 12, 2006
    Speed is pretty much the same as the HR20-700 which I presently use it side by side with and it will eventually replace once the HR20 playlist is cleared. Maybe a tick faster in some areas, but nothing at all to set it apart. I honestly can't tell the difference when using either one.
    Certainly nowhere close to the HR24, which my landlord has and I've also played with on occasion, but better than all the others

Seems the random screensaver activation is incapable of being fixed in anything either. It's still there. Fired 3 times in about a 15 minute period on me the other night.

It also rebooted without asking or any user input whatsoever last night to download the new firmware while I was in the middle of watching something.

Other than that I've had no significant problems. Other than the same old unaddressed crap that's been around since shortly after day one, and well documented throughout this place for years.

14. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I just think it's funny that they are so far behind that here at DBSTalk we've already reviewed the HR34's successor. We did our review of the HR34 Genie in October, 2011: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=197609

If Sound and Vision wants to review a Super NES next, that's cool.

15. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, I hardly consider first looks to be a review.

A review highlights positive and negative points, it doesn't read like a brochure.

16. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    The only reviews I read is here on this forum or Amazon, so that's why I'm staying with the HR24 which I have two (1 owned) Will see how the HR44 works out before going that route.

17. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    I'd agree that the '34 is a touch slower than the '24, and have also seen it slow down during what I'm guessing were "other operations." Can't say I've had the other issues, but I don't use RVU clients.

When used as a client, the HR34 doesn't always handle FF that well. I'll often find that FFX3 overshoots by minutes. It could certainly use more polish.

18. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Based on what I read, it seems that D* has re-introduced the
    "Not Ready For Prime Time Players" -- 37 years after SNL did. :rolleyes:

19. hancox

hancox Godfather

Jun 23, 2004
    Their opinion that it still stinks, even 2 years after the first look, is much more relevant. :rolleyes:

20. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I'm with you on that. I enjoy reading the first looks, but I realize they are mostly the same as the brochure that will come out at some time and are slanted positively for the most part.

They aren't 'reviews' in the common sense of what a review is.