Soundbars

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Rich, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That soundbar: I've never heard or tried that brand. Does it really come close to an AVR? I have a couple SBs, a Polk (not worth what I paid) and a middle of the pack Samsung SB (worth every penny) and when I use one of my AVRs the difference is very notable.

Rich

2. cmoss5

cmoss5 1960'S NOSTALGIA

May 26, 2006
    Tucker,GA
    Unfortunately, the SONOS and the matching rear speakers are most expensive on the market...are wifi connected and are set up by the SONOS personnel, who come to your home and set them up. The soundbar was $600 and the 2 rear speakers were $600...wife let me get these as I only purchase myself something electronic every year or so as she gets her bling on her birthday and anniversary every year. Well worth the money as the surround sound is fantastic, especially on the Disney channel movies,etc. You control the sound via your iphone. This was the top rated soundbar last year by CONSUMER REPORTS.

3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Is it mandatory they set them up? I notice on Amazon you can get them with or without expert installation.

4. Jan 1, 2020 #4 of 48
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    My heart fills with lust. I just looked on Amazon and I'm overwhelmed. Can you give us a link or two, I have no idea what I'm looking for. Does that SB come with a sub-woofer?

Rich

5. Jan 1, 2020 #5 of 48
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    A link to the SB we're talking about would help.

Rich

6. Jan 1, 2020 #6 of 48
    raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    I have two Sonos One’s that act as my rears, or when listening to music; the playbase (the playbar is also an option for a sound bar) and the sub. You do not need anyone from Sonos to set it up, I suspect the vast majority of customers do not do that.

Here is the “sound bar” that I own.

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/playbase.html

The equipment is pricey. That is the biggest downside.

7. Jan 1, 2020 #7 of 48
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
  8. Jan 1, 2020 #8 of 48
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Rich, there are lots of really good soundbar setups these days. Here are some I’ve either tried or read about, all with Atmos support.

1. Samsung K950 - This is what I have. Soundbar, wireless subwoofer and wireless surrounds. Really does well for movies and TV. Downside is it won’t pass DolbyVision only HDR. There are some on Amazon.

2. Samsung N950 - Newer version of the K950 and does do DolbyVision. Comments from people I know that have it love it. On Amazon, of course.

3. Nakamichi Shockwafe - various models, all get great reviews and I’ve talked to a couple people with the 7.2 Atmos version. And of course, on Amazon. Other places maybe too.

None are cheap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

9. Jan 1, 2020 #9 of 48
    mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    I have several Sonos components that run all my outside and garage speakers. It is good stuff but definitely pricey. I installed all of my Sonos equipment myself. AFAIK none of their stuff REQUIRES Sonos to install it. Honestly I have never heard of Sonos having their own installers...I would be surprised if that were the case.

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
  11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    From experience with other components I know a Samsung sound system of any kind will work better with my Samsung TVs than another makers equipment. I'd probably be better off with N950, but does that really sound as good as an AVR system?

Rich

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Amazon seems to be offering installations on a lot of electronics these days. More money to be made. Not bad prices for the installations.

Rich

13. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    IMO, for TV/Movies the best soundbars do a great job, but for just music, nearly all soundbars are just not so good.
    Are any better than a good AVR setup? Good question. I would say if you go with one that has Atmos support the chances are pretty good they would be better than your older AVR setup, but not quite as good as a new AVR setup with Atmos support.

14. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Probably not as good as a new AVR system with Atmos, but probably better for TV/Movies than your current AVR system.

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    My main AVR is kinda old. Still sounds good. When I use the Polk SB and then go to the room with the Sony AVR...well, the Sony blows the Polk away. That Polk had a price of about $700, I got it on sale for $399. Wish I'd never seen the thing.

Rich

16. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    I've not had a full blown AVR in years, but my experience with the Sonos was positive. The selling points for me were the wireless setup (didn't have to run cables) and the smart app integration, Apple music integration and now Alexa and Google integration (if you so choose, you do not have to).

17. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    Right but I’m sure they use some generic third party to do the installs...

18. Andrew Sullivan

Andrew Sullivan Active Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Soundbars?

19. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    Alot of newer TV's have the sound coming out of the bottom of the TV,a soundbar puts the sound in front of the TV.
    My preference has been Vizio,for price and sound,but that's just my preference for both TVs and soundbar systems.

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I have two AVRs and two sound bars and I go from one to the other in the course of a day and I'm constantly reminded that the AVRs are so much better than my sound bars. I'd love to get rid of all the clutter of the AVRs but I don't like the idea of settling for less. But you have a valid point, if I didn't have the AVRs I'd probably be satisfied with the sound bars.

Rich