Spaceway-1 is dead!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Fab55, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Fab55

Fab55 AllStar

Jul 25, 2008
  2. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Directv hasn't used it for TV for a couple years now, so not an issue for Directv customers. Apparently it was performing a backup role for satellite internet in Alaska, so its failure doesn't really affect anyone.

ericknolls likes this.
  3. DirectMan

DirectMan AllStar

Jul 14, 2007
    The dummies at ATT will use this as an example as to why they have to get out of satellite broadcasting.

ericknolls and eletric chicken like this.
  4. eletric chicken

eletric chicken Member

Dec 28, 2019
    :D
    i often what would happen to DTV if att ever spun it off. how much worse could it get:rolleyes:

5. J. Harwood

J. Harwood New Member

Mar 21, 2019
    Not being facetious but will it effect anyone if the satellite explodes? Looks like one of the largest commercial satellites ever launched, just wondering what would happen.

6. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    It will burn out coming down.

7. J. Harwood

J. Harwood New Member

Mar 21, 2019
    If it would just burn up on re-entry and no one would be impacted why would they care if it exploded?

8. Coastal

Coastal New Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Yes, it will be a bunch of shrapnel in geosynchronous orbit that could wander around and damage other communications satellites in the valuable geosynchronous orbit.
    No, it will not fall to Earth, but it will be a risk to damage other satellites.

Geosynchronous orbit - Wikipedia

List of satellites in geosynchronous orbit - Wikipedia

https://www.quora.com/For-how-long-would-Geosynchronous-satellites-stay-in-orbit

9. J. Harwood

J. Harwood New Member

Mar 21, 2019
    Ok so 1) it actually would "really affect anyone" and 2) it would not "burn out coming down." Thanks for clarifying.

Coastal likes this.
  10. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Careful, that's what we thought when ATT took over, look how that turned out.

Rich

TJNash and eletric chicken like this.
  11. eletric chicken

eletric chicken Member

Dec 28, 2019
    yep it's a complete nightmare... even the tech told me that DTV isn't what i used to be that's pretty bad

12. HerntDawg

HerntDawg Legend

Oct 6, 2008
    Oregon
    My locals recorded at 7 pm tonight instead of the normal 8 pm, we are in the portland oregon market.

Any chance the sat has anything to do with it?

13. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    No. As stated that Sat has not been used to TV in quite some time. It was helping with internet in Alaska

14. orbit626

orbit626 Cool Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Michigan
    I have no experience with telescopes and such, but I wonder if this is something we could view with one...that'd be fun :D

15. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Its not going to explode, that article was a lot of hyperbole. They are retiring it to a parking orbit because something happened to the batteries that MIGHT cause them to explode IF they tried to recharge them. So they stopped using the batteries entirely, and are retiring the satellite completely before it starts falling into Earth's shadow part of the day in March and would need battery power to keep operating.

16. eletric chicken

eletric chicken Member

Dec 28, 2019
    i am really thinking AT&T will spin off DTV. here's why... there loosing customers left and right and there not making any money on it rumour has it. now they have there own streaming service... buildings are getting stricter on sat dishes and AT&T don't have the resources or the knowledge like DTV had nor do they want to be bothered with it... i heard the genie 2 is the last box AT&T will be producing as well. i heard that dish is still eyeing down DTV!!! should be interesting to see what happens!!!

Rich likes this.
  17. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    AT&T's streaming service is built on contracts they got by leveraging ALL of their subscriber base. Ditching DIRECTV reduces their subscriber base and reduces their power with content providers. DIRECTV satellite remains profitable.

eletric chicken likes this.
  18. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    you are hearing speculation on the site and in Internet ! too often :p

eletric chicken likes this.
  19. eletric chicken

eletric chicken Member

Dec 28, 2019
    as well as the techs to!!!!