1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Special Equipment Exchange Offer (Digital Transition)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by DBSooner, Jan 14, 2009.

Tags:
  1. DBSooner

DBSooner Legend

Sep 23, 2008
    I have a friend that received a letter from D* stating he could upgrade his receiver to one with a digital tuner. He called D* and of course CS doesn't know anything about it.

I thought D* took away ATSC tuners, is this offer even possible?

Here's a link to the webpage talking about it.

LINK

2. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    DirecTV offers digital tuners for OTA as set forth on your link.

The H20 and HR20 have internal tuners, the HR21, HR22 and HR23 need the AM21 external tuner.

3. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Its very possible. Directv took the ATSC tuner out of the receiver but sell the AM21 add-on ATSC tuner for the HR21/22/23 series for $50 bucks.

According the offer if they dont provide your locals you can pay $50 bucks to upgrade your existing box to one that can use the AM21 (which you still need to purchase too).

So at best you get an upgrade for $50 bucks and at worst its $100 (50 for the box and 50 for the AM21).

4. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    the offer is for customers who get directv service but do not get locals from directv but rather over the air. It is an upgrade to HD equipment and an am21 so that the over the air channels can be put into the directv program guide

5. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    I assume this would be swapping SD Dvrs to R22s so they can use an AM21.

6. Snoguy

Snoguy New Member

Sep 19, 2008
    I received the $50 upgrade offer and took advantage of it. D* installed a refurb HR20-100 for my R15. So they appear to be using refurbs for this deal.

Dave

7. DBSooner

DBSooner Legend

Sep 23, 2008
    How did you go about doing this? He called a couple of times and had to fight with them to no avail.

8. Snoguy

Snoguy New Member

Sep 19, 2008
    I called the number that was listed on the offer letter(just got me to the same place as the normal D* number I think). I had to be transferred to someplace else after I talked to the first person. At first they didn't seem to know anything, but I quoted them the wording in the letter. They asked a couple of questions about the letter, then put me on hold for 3-4 minutes. Then came back and said "OK I have a copy of the letter now". They then proceeded to process the request. They couldn't ship it to me - said a tech had to come out and install it, which was done. What seemed to work best was when I quoted parts of the offer letter and told them who had signed it.

Dave

9. steveweree

steveweree New Member

Oct 21, 2008
    I received the Digital Transition letter also, since we get CBS Ch 11 OTA in my area. We would really like to have Channel 11 show up in the guide and not have to bother with converter boxes befor the Feb 17 Digital Transition.

I asked to upgrade my two old Hughes boxes. The installer came out but did not appear to understand his work order and put in two H23s, even though I only have old single dish and standard TVs.

I note the H23 has not OTA-in jack on the back, so that was not going to work. I called customer service, who were very helpful and said they were the wrong boxes, and then proceeded to write up order to drop ship 2 D12-700s. But, as I understand it, they do not have the digital tuner - it is only the H20 that has the digital tuner.

Guess will have to call them back again. The CSRs really want to help but they just don;t appear to be up to date.

10. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Several questions about your post:

You wrote:

What type of Hughes boxes exactly? DirecTIVO DVR units?

There is no such thing as an "H23." do you mean two HR23 HD DVRs?

Assuming you meant "HR23s," no they have no internal OTA digital tuners, thus no OTA antenna input, but require the modular USB add-on AM-21 to receive OTA ATSC signals. And no the D12 series boxes are only non-DVD standard definition units for the legacy MPEG-2 Ku band only with no OTA capability.

Yes I think you should, as there appears to be a great deal of confusion going on here between you and DirecTV on this proposed upgrade.

11. beavis

beavis Icon

Jun 8, 2005

Yes there is. The H23-700.

12. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    There is?

Thanks, my bad then. I thought they stopped the concurrent production of the HR series HD DVRs and the H series STBs after the HR21/H21 models.

13. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    BTW;

Is it the same deal with the H23 STB as with the H21, no support for the AM21 as of yet? You see, all I've ever owned are the HR DVR types. :)

14. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    The H23 will probably have AM21 support soon. Follow the CE forum and you will find out there first when it happens.

15. steveweree

steveweree New Member

Oct 21, 2008
    I am not talking about DVRs here at all. The old Hughes boxes are about 15 years old - pre-DVR, pre-HD. The point I was trying to make is the CSRs and installers are not aware of the offers being mailed out by their company. Although we referred to the letter, the first CSR wrote up the work order as:
    1. Swap Replace HD IRD
    2. Local Off-Air
    3. Standard IRD
    4. Local Off-Air Exchange (Standard) $50
    and insisted on a professional install.
    The installer really had no idea what to do, so installed H23 (yes, there is an H23), which did no good at all.
    So placed another call to CSR, and they said this made no sense, reversed the charges and proceeded to ship out a D12. The D12 does not have OTA ASTC tuner either.
    I assumed they would know what they are doing, but had to come to this forum to figure they should have put in the H20.
    I would recommend anyone ordering this Digital Transition upgrade to specifically request the H20. Again, this is for us non-DVR viewers.