1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spectrum and Apple TV.

Discussion in 'Cable TV Discussion' started by lipcrkr, Jun 22, 2018.

1. lipcrkr

lipcrkr Legend

Apr 27, 2012
    I have Spectrum cable, have heard Apple TV is coming later this year. What does this mean?
    Will i still be able to keep my Silver package? I primarally watch Like TV with Sports and movie Premiums.
    I do plan on getting a 4K TV later this year, and Apple seams like a good place for 4K content.
    But i'm still confused on Apple and Spectrum............what exactly will happen?

2. mgavs

mgavs Legend

Jun 17, 2007
    Ideally, like in France, you can use the appletv instead of a rented cable box. However, note the comment: “Notable: In its announcement today, Charter said nothing about customers not having to lease a set-top box to get its video service. Fierce is still waiting for Charter to provide clarity on that issue.” In Charter to launch Spectrum TV app on Apple TV 4K | FierceCable

3. bobinnv

bobinnv Cool Member

Apr 1, 2006
    From what I read, Apple TV may not replace the Spectrum Cable box, but essentially be the same as the current Spectrum iOS app, which does live TV and On Demand, but does NOT manage or play recordings. I hope I'm wrong, as the current Spectrum software for viewing/managing recordings is terrible.

4. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    I plan in about a month when my discounts end to turn in my DVRs and tell Charter Spectrum cable I want to subscribe to my TV package with my Roku Stick+.
    If they tell me that I will still need a cable box in my house,I will tell them No Thanks there are plenty of OTT providers that do not require a cable box in the house.
    The Spectrum App has better guides,program information and On Demand presentations.These old outdated dual tuner cable boxes are a joke.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  5. dansmail26

dansmail26 New Member

Jul 3, 2018
    you must have an old box. i believe mine has 5 tuners. But, they are pricing themselves out, I am very close to switching to DTV.

6. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    Yes when I called Charter Spectrum to upgrade my internet from 60/5MB to 100/10MB for the same price $69.99,a little later I go an email from them telling me the price next month for my cable TV Gold package and internet was going to be $220.,no discounts.I turned in my DVRs,power supplies and remote controls the same day.
    I then checked out all the OTT streaming services and then subscribed to YouTubeTVw/Starz and Philo TV(which is $49. and $20. a month) which I estimate will save me $70. a month compared to what I had before with cable TV.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018