Spectrum DVR Issue

Discussion in 'Cable TV Discussion' started by FarmerCharlie, May 21, 2020.

1. FarmerCharlie

FarmerCharlie Cool Member

Jan 15, 2008
    My Spectrum Cable box (Arris DCX3520e-M) recently started sporadically rebooting. It acts just like it does when I disconnect power to force a reboot. I called Spectrum, and they said I needed to get a new box. I picked up my new box (Motorola DCX3200) today and asked about moving my recordings to the new box. The technician said they can't do that, and the tech support person I called concurred. My old box has a SATA connection for an external hard drive, and the manual says that the box does support an external SATA drive. I never could get the tech support person to tell me if Spectrum does or does not support an external drive. Does anyone know whether there is any way to save old recordings when moving to a new box? I would think that would be important to lots of other customers besides me. The problem may be moot for me right now: I decided to first try replacing only the power brick on the off-hand possibility that that could have been the problem. So far it has not rebooted. If that continues, then I will just return the new box. But I still need to come up with a way to backup old recordings for the day when the box really does fail permanently.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Charlie

2. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I suggest you just start watching all those recorded programs.

3. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    i wish you good luck with the world box!!!

4. FarmerCharlie

FarmerCharlie Cool Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I got lucky here. I picked up a new box and 12-volt power supply at the local office. Since the box had been acting very much like it was just losing power repeatedly (losing the favorites and guides memory), I decided to first try the new power supply on the old box. The problem immediately went away. I then reconnected the old supply, and the problem returned. I guess my old mechanical training benefitted me; I had learned long ago that, when replacing parts, start with the simplest and cheapest alternative. But I would have thought that the two Spectrum technicians I spoke with would have suggested that possibility after I described the symptoms to them.

krel likes this.
  5. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    glad to hear that you can hang on to the old box;).. when i had them i had the old 6 tuner box. well they got rid of all of those and i could not get another one:mad: