1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speculation: how much will this box cost when released?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - HR21 Discussion (private)' started by LameLefty, Aug 6, 2007.

1. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    I'm just wondering, obviously. I'd love to replace the R15 in my master bedroom with one of these (once the issues get ironed out). Of course, that would require replacing my 9 year old Sony 36" 4:3 CRT with a nice new flatscreen of some sort . . .:D

Seriously, though, what do you guys think? If the HR20 with OTA is running $299 for the average schmoe, I'm thinking these might go for about $199. It would be nice if they were even less, of course.

Similarly, anyone know what a SWM will cost folks? I'd really love to get a hold of one so I could use all the available tuners on the receivers in the house.

2. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    I was thinking about $199 - seems about right for the top end considering you're eliminating 2 atsc tuners. Who knows, $149 may be the price point.

3. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Lets not go down that route here... in the field trial forum...

4. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Oops, sorry Earl.

5. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Me too, mea culpa :grin:

6. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Chase Carey today: "We continue to be successful in driving down the cost of that investment. Between now and year end, the HD DVR box cost will decrease about $100 per box. The HD box cost will reduce about $50 per box before year end, and then in the first half of 2008, we’ll take another step down in those box costs. So it’s an investment and it’s an investment we are continuing to manage and it is certainly again, we think very much an important value-creating investment for us."

"In reality with a DVR, with the HD DVR dropping -- right now we charge $299 if you go to a second one of those. The HD DVR is going to be not much above $300 by the end of the year and it is going to be in the mid $200s by the middle of next year, so in some ways that is actually going to end up being above what is cost."

http://media.seekingalpha.com/article/44085

7. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    1 dollar Bob! :lol: