Spinoff of DIRECTV from AT&T is now completed

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by NashGuy, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Aug 2, 2021 #1 of 271
  2. Aug 2, 2021 #2 of 271
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Press Release:

DIRECTV becomes a standalone video business following an agreement between AT&T and TPG Capital

Los Angeles, Aug. 2, 2021 – DIRECTV announced today that AT&T and TPG have closed on the previously announced agreement to establish DIRECTV as a separate video company. Under this new company, DIRECTV owns and operates the former AT&T U.S. and Puerto Rico video business unit consisting of satellite, streaming and IP video services. The new structure allows for greater focus, flexibility and resources to best position the business to succeed in the long term as well as deliver on a commitment to current and future customers, employees and shareholders.

“This is a watershed moment for DIRECTV as we return to a singular focus on providing a stellar video experience,” said Bill Morrow, CEO, DIRECTV. “Building on our recent momentum, we are well-positioned to bring unparalleled choice and value to all of our customers under one iconic brand, whether they beam it or stream it.”

For those who beam it over satellite, DIRECTV service offers the most live sports in 4K HDR,¹ including the most NBA games in 4K, and the industry’s best picture format. DIRECTV is the undisputed leader in sports programming, including NFL Sunday Ticket, which remains the only way to watch every out-of-market game LIVE every Sunday afternoon no matter where in the United States. DIRECTV also empowers customers to watch movies and shows from virtually anywhere – on TVs at home, along with their favorite mobile devices using the DIRECTV app.

For those who stream it, the newly branded DIRECTV STREAM will become the single brand for video streaming services previously launched by AT&T, excluding HBO Max. The transition will happen later this month, and service will continue to be available with no term commitment or hidden fees. To enjoy the best of live TV and on-demand, customers can either bring their own streaming device, or use DIRECTV’s exclusive streaming device.² Those with DIRECTV’s streaming device can build a complete, integrated and customized entertainment experience with the ability to watch and pause live TV on up to 20 devices in their home. It also allows consumers to get all their favorite entertainment in one place with easy access to apps like HBO Max, Netflix, Prime Video and more.

Over the next several months, DIRECTV will prominently feature its bold new look across its video services, and new and existing customers will experience several touchpoints with it.

It’s important to note that as a part of the deal, AT&T satellite, streaming or IP video customers will automatically keep their video service, any bundled wireless, internet or HBO Max services, and associated discounts with no action needed.

For more information on the terms of the deal, please see the AT&T press release.

3. Aug 2, 2021 #3 of 271
    BigJ52

BigJ52 Godfather

Jul 29, 2007

krel likes this.
  4. Aug 2, 2021 #4 of 271
  5. Aug 2, 2021 #5 of 271
    bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    Since its spinning off to a separate company again...will the accounts go back to Directv website or stay with ATT website? Hoping they go back to old Directv...much better website to navigate thru. Directv CSR's possibly?

I WANT MORE and krel like this.
  6. Aug 2, 2021 #6 of 271
    NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Only thing I've seen relevant to that is the following Q&A posted on their site today:

What about account information, online access and billing?
    Customer account information, online access and billing arrangements will all remain the same.

7. Aug 2, 2021 #7 of 271
    bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    :weary::weary::weary:

8. Aug 2, 2021 #8 of 271
    NashGuy

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Well, maybe that's just for now. Perhaps they will eventually migrate customers with standalone DTV service (not bundled with AT&T cellular or home internet) over to their own billing system. I know a lot of the frustration with DTV customers over the past few years was caused by getting shifted over to AT&T's general support and billing systems which are often a mess. If they're going to make this spin-off mean something, I think DTV is going to have to rebuild their customer support systems in-house, apart from AT&T.

9. Aug 2, 2021 #9 of 271
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    That would be a herculean effort indeed to translate the 2015 website to 2021.

10. Aug 2, 2021 #10 of 271
    NashGuy

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    If I were heading marketing at DTV, I would want a full website redesign. The current one is built on the same template/design layout as AT&T's site. I imagine swapping in the new DTV logo on the website today was just the first step (and something they had to do because the old logo had the AT&T globe in it). We'll probably see a revamped website later this month. Looks like the URL www.directv.com/stream will be the product page for DIRECTV Stream when AT&T TV is rebranded to that later this month. For now, it just features a press release and Q&As about today's spinoff.

11. Aug 2, 2021 #11 of 271
    harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Unless there's a huge wad of money to be saved, there must other projects with significantly better ROI to invest their resources.

12. Aug 2, 2021 #12 of 271
    Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Wondering, will the sat version will look something like this?

n-ds_0030.jpg
    (This was captured back in April during an update to an HR20. It only showed up on the very first restart after the update, then "reverted" to the ATT "globe" version.)

NashGuy, dtv757 and garn9173 like this.
  13. Aug 2, 2021 #13 of 271
    NashGuy

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Like what? I don't think there's much to be done in terms of improving the actual service itself (unless they decide to bring out a new generation of DTV receivers, which I don't expect, at least any time soon). There are no more satellites to be launched. The main areas where DTV has really taken a hit in terms of customer satisfaction in the past few years seems to be customer support and billing, thanks to AT&T.

14. Aug 2, 2021 #14 of 271
    cmoss5

cmoss5 1960'S NOSTALGIA

May 26, 2006
    Tucker,GA
    Looks like the streaming service will be pushed like the old DIRECTV dish network. Talked to customer service at the internet streaming service and more and more people with high speed internet are going that way so they will not be under contract and no dish on their roof top as many high end subdivisions are requesting that now.
    Also, the Genie 1 with HD DVR is standard installation with clients.

15. Aug 2, 2021 #15 of 271
    harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    • Customer Service scripts and CSR training (customer satisfaction)
    • Enhancing the DIRECTV Stream cloud DVR experience (customer satisfaction, transition motivation)
    • Moving more of the popular channels to Ku (customer satisfaction)
    • Perfecting blackouts (customer satisfaction)
    • Figure out how to transition DIRECTV and Uverse subscribers to DIRECTV Stream without losing them (long-term viability)
    • Servicing the debt they were endowed with as a parting gift (shareholder satisfaction)
    I suggest that they start on stuff that impacts subscribers and/or corporate operations more than once in awhile.

I suspect DIRECTV is contracting for a lot of stuff that the old DIRECTV used to do in-house and maintaining those synergies is still beneficial so it isn't reasonable to assume that they have in-house billing, web design and other fundamental corporate services.

16. Aug 2, 2021 #16 of 271
    NashGuy

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Yes, I also believe that DIRECTV Stream will be marketed as their growth product. If you have broadband, there aren't too many reasons to opt for the traditional satellite product over it given that AT&T TV (soon to be renamed DIRECTV Stream) has lower everyday pricing, no contract, the option to use your own devices and/or buy (not rent) a custom DTV box with access to apps (Netflix, YouTube, Disney+, HBO Max, etc.) on the same device, unlimited simultaneous recordings, full access to the service on your internet-connected devices anywhere you travel in the country, etc.

But there are some deficiencies that AT&T TV still has vs. DTV satellite. It lacks 4K, it's missing a few channels (PBS, CW in some areas, ION, INSP, NFL Network) and your cloud DVR recordings expire after only 90 days. And NFL Sunday Ticket is not an option on AT&T TV. Perhaps a few of those deficiencies will be remedied when it's relaunched this month as DTV Stream. We'll see...

D-230, ThaPhenom, Stevies3 and 2 others like this.
  17. Aug 2, 2021 #17 of 271
    NashGuy

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    I don't really see any of those things as impacting/competing with a decision as to whether they might bring customer service and billing in-house, as I was suggesting. (And your first bullet point seems to indicate that you support them bringing customer service in-house.) Beyond your first bullet point, I doubt any of them would do as much to improve DTV satellite customers' satisfaction and retention as would improving the customer service and billing experience.

At any rate, I was really only talking about the satellite service. Yes, there are multiple things that need to be done to improve the streaming service, although most of them are pretty simple, e.g. extend the cloud DVR retention period from 90 to 365 days, work with those few missing channels to get them included, add 4K, etc. Billing on AT&T TV is pretty straightforward (I think it's all online, auto-billed to credit cards). That service has much bigger fish to fry to make it as competitive as it has the potential to be.

Stevies3 likes this.
  18. Aug 2, 2021 #18 of 271
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Press release added above. Note: "DIRECTV announced today that AT&T and TPG have closed on the previously announced agreement to establish DIRECTV as a separate video company. Under this new company, DIRECTV owns and operates the former AT&T U.S. and Puerto Rico video business unit consisting of satellite, streaming and IP video services. The new structure allows for greater focus, flexibility and resources to best position the business to succeed in the long term as well as deliver on a commitment to current and future customers, employees and shareholders."

Today is day zero. Please don't get too upset if changes are not complete by yesterday. :)

19. Aug 2, 2021 #19 of 271
    krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    hopefully customer service improves as it's the pitts now..

D-230 likes this.
  20. Aug 2, 2021 #20 of 271
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Seems like your wish list fits in nicely with:
    The "apart from AT&T" being the key, especially for people who hate AT&T and everything they have done with customer service over the past 100 plus years.

While some of those goals will not be directly affected by bringing customer service "in house" having people call DIRECTV to complain (instead of an old call center still serving other AT&T services) and a focus on satisfying those customers will help. Building up brand loyalty so if the time comes to leave satellite "stream" is a preferred alternative instead of just another service to choose from.

NashGuy likes this.