1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"split" digital output

Discussion in 'Technical Talk (Closed Forum)' started by Frobbo, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Frobbo

Frobbo Cool Member

Jul 26, 2004
    For reasons too convoluted to explain, can I split the digital audio ouput from a DVD-Recorder? If I were to use digital coax cables and a Y adapter, could I feed the signal into two digital audio inputs on my AVR?

2. MarkA

MarkA God Bless America! DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I'm personally doubtful, as that would trash composite video, but certainly try it. If it works it works.

3. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I’m with Mark, don’t know for sure, but try it out.

If it indeed doesn’t, here’s some other tings to think about. Do you need both parts of the signal to be active at the same time? If not there’s switches you can buy that will allow you to switch from one to the other. Also if your DVD recorder and receiver both have optical you can use toslink. If your DVD burner has toslink out but your receiver doesn’t have toslink in you can get a converter from Radio Shack or Parts Express.

4. Slordak

Slordak Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
  5. MarkA

MarkA God Bless America! DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    That's for TosLink and he wants to split coax, unfortunately. I think a Y-cable may work. It's going to distort and weaken the signal tremendously; but your receiver may still be able to decode it and that's all that matters.

6. Frobbo

Frobbo Cool Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Thanks for the info, I didn't realize it but the audio digital out is optical, I thought it was coax, so the optical splitter will work perfectly. Again, thanks