Splitter Advice

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Andrew Schimmoeller, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Andrew Schimmoeller

Andrew Schimmoeller New Member

Sep 19, 2018
    Hi,

I'm a newbie and looking for advice.

I currently have a DirecTV coax line running into the input of a SWM 8-way splitter. One of the outputs of the splitter runs to my Connected Home Adapter. The other two outputs run to receivers, one to a Genie Gen 2 and one to a HD DVR, both are on the main floor of my house.

I'm finishing my basement and plan to have 3 new TVs in the basement all tuned to a new 3rd receiver which will be in my basement.

From what I've read, I'll have to buy a powered HDMI that is HDCP compliant and then run HDMI lines from the splitter to the new TVs. Is that correct?

Is there anyway I can split the existing signal that is coming into the SWM 8-way splitter and run it to the new TVs without having to buy a new receiver?

Thanks,
    Andrew

2. H1awatha

H1awatha New Member

Aug 2, 2018
    No. Any line coming from splitter goes to receiver. Get one receiver for basement and mirror the other two with hdmi switch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    You'll need a Receiver in your basement, fed from one of the unused SWM8 outputs. Connect that Receiver via a powered HDMI splitter (supporting HDCP) to each of the basement HDTVs. Monoprice is a good source for powered, multi-output HDMI splitters.

4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'd add this: Don't buy a cheap HDMI switch. I've done that several times and all the switches failed. Seems like inexpensive means poorly made when it comes to these devices.

Rich

5. Andrew Schimmoeller

Sep 19, 2018
    Do I need an HDMI splitter or an HDMI switch? Or are they the same thing?

Thanks again, I really appreciate it

6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    This is a pure splitter, I think. https://www.amazon.com/Splitter-GOX...qid=1537386089&sr=1-16&keywords=hdmi+splitter

With this splitter you will have the one HDMI feed into the splitter and 4 mirrored outputs. So, you can have the same content on each TV set. It is powered with no mention of a remote. Is that what you need?

Rich

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  7. bmcleod

bmcleod Mentor

May 13, 2006
    California...
    If you plan on ever having 4K I would take your time researching parts and cables, 4K is much more sensitive to these things. If you don’t want to do that now, you might want to add some CAT6 runs to give options later, and maybe some 1 1/2” smurf tube for future cables.

8. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    When you say "failed" do you mean your cheap HDMI splitter quit working for HDCP content, or quit working entirely? If the former, it didn't break, it had its forged HDCP keys revoked...

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    No it's not. It's a splitter. This is a switch: https://www.amazon.com/Zettaguard-W...F8&qid=1537403539&sr=1-5&keywords=hdmi+switch

This can take up to four source HDMI cables in with one HDMI port out to the TV set. Comes with a remote for switching between sources.

Sorry for any confusion.

Rich

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    My pictures on one TV were distorted. All I could get was one good feed and one bad picture. Didn't matter how many things I switched out, nothing changed. It worked as it should, nothing changed. Then it didn't.

11. Andrew Schimmoeller

Sep 19, 2018
    That's a great idea. I am planning on eventually having 4K and the smurf tub is an excellent idea. My plan is to have one receiver and have the same channel displayed on 3 tvs. I'm going to try this splitter and see if it works: Monoprice Blackbird 4K Pro 1x4 Ultra Slim HDMI Splitter, HDR, 4K@60Hz, HDCP 2.2 - Monoprice.com

Now I'm trying to decide which HDMI cables to buy. The longest run will be about 60-70 feet, the shorter runs will be about 20 feet and 40-50 feet.

Thanks again for all the help. I really appreciate it.

12. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I would highly recommend you don't run HDMI cables through your walls, smurf tube or not. Run cat6, and get HDMI to twisted pair converters. Since you don't have 4K right now, you can buy dirt cheap ones on eBay for under $10 a pair. The ones that handle 4K are more expensive, but will come down in price over time so maybe by the time you need them they'll be under $10 too. You'll end up spending less for the cat6 & converters than you would on an HDMI cable capable of reliably passing signal dozens of feet.

When your HDMI cables fail (and odd are good that they WILL fail someday, the microsolder joints in the connector heads are the Achille's Heel of HDMI) or you need to replace them, pulling new ones can be a chore, even with smurf tube, unless you are extremely careful about how you do turns with the tube and don't have any other cables in there to snag the heads on. With cat6 you just need to swap out the dongles on either end.

13. bmcleod

bmcleod Mentor

May 13, 2006
    California...
    I’d also put in the CAT6, if you don’t want to use it right away it will be there if you need it. I’ve had good luck with the Monoprice Active cables for HD/2K use, mostly the Redmere technology, they should work fine for the lengths you’re talking. Depending on the signal, 24 or 60 FPS, SDR/HDR/HLG/DV, they might work with some 4K as well.

Two things: Always test the cables first strung out on the floor, preferably with the equipment you will use. If you use Active cables note, there are source and destination ends (usually marked ‘source’ and ‘TV’), you must install them the right direction or they won’t work (very important if you’re putting cables in the wall).

I’ve successfully used the 1st and 3rd cables on this page for up to 20’ HD runs, I think 60’ would also be fine. I’ve heard from a reliable source that the ‘HOSS’ cables further down the page work for 4K HDR at 30 - 50’ if you want to spend the extra money now. There are Monoprice passive cables that work for longer distances as well, but they are thicker and harder to work with, I just pulled out a 50’ Blue Jeans HDMI Cable that is excellent, but very thick (it will hit Craigslist soon).

- HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

14. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I don't doubt that the cables work when you buy them, it is whether they will still work two years from now, four years from etc. The longer the cable the quicker it dies in my experience - I think that as the solder joints degrade it makes a bigger difference the longer the run (and therefore weaker the signal is at the receiving end)

The active cables would be less likely to have the problem, but they are even more expensive, and the heads are larger and cable thinner making a snag during a pull more likely and more likely to damage it. IMHO there's zero upside to using a "real" HDMI cable, and multiple downsides.

15. Andrew Schimmoeller

Sep 19, 2018
    Greatly appreciate the advice. I'm going to run CAT6 and HDMI, each in its own smurf tub zip tied to existing pipes in the ceiling. I just tested the HDMI splitter I bought and it worked like a charm with 3 TVs and one DirecTV receiver.

bmcleod likes this.
  16. LoweBoy

LoweBoy Legend

Sep 15, 2006
    Which splitter did you get? The Monoprice 1x4 as stated above with the cat 6 extenders? If so how has it been holding up?
    IMG_7359.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Andrew Schimmoeller

Sep 19, 2018
  18. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    You didn't mention the HDMI cables' length

19. LoweBoy

LoweBoy Legend