1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Splitters and SWM

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by RoyGBiv, May 17, 2009.

1. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    I know that if a splitter is used between the SWM and the power inserter it must be power-passing on that leg. Is there a problem if it is power-passing on both legs? I ask because I have a Phillips splitter that specifically shows it is power-passing on both legs, and I don't want to cause problems if I use it.

TIA

SMK

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I doubt it, as long as the other leg doesn't have some sort of power on it.
    If concerned you could put a power block on that leg.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Well "it depends".
    Power passing or power steered?
    Power steered is diode protected, while "passing" could mean the PI voltage also comes out the other splitter output.
    The LAST THING you want is the PI voltage to go to the input of your receiver.
    I use power steered and have zero volts on the other output.

4. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    As VOS has already said, power steered is vitally important. It it’s power passing and not steered you could possibly send voltage to the receiver and that would be bad.

Personally, I use the Skywalker SKY23302D two way splitters. They are diode steered and will not pass voltage from input to output.

http://www.skywalker.com/itemdisplay.aspx?item=8971

As long as you use a splitter of the correct frequency range and is diode steered you shouldn’t have a problem.

Mike

5. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Yes they do [or they wouldn't work]. What they don't do is pass from output to output.

6. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    http://www.skywalker.com/itemdisplay.aspx?item=8971

It will only pass voltage from the output of the splitter (input of diode) to the input of splitter (output of diode).

I kept the wording consistant with the Skywalker link so that it's apparent based on the picture what's happening. :grin:

Mike

7. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "Dual Ground Passes DC and IR from Outputs to Input (will not pass DC from input to output). "

"But" the real point with these [I use them too] is you can use either output to power the SWM and NOT pass this voltage to the "other output". With power passing on both legs, you don't know if they're diode "protected" or not.

8. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    I use six of the same Skywalker splitters MicroBeta uses in my setup and they work very well indeed. :)

9. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    Thanks all, for the info.

SMK