1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Splitting Directv MRV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by packerblitz, Jul 11, 2010.

1. packerblitz

packerblitz New Member

Jul 11, 2010
    I'm getting Directv installed in 2 days with Multi room viewing. I'm getting a HD-DVR the HR24 and another HD receiver. (I'm not sure of the model number on the receiver) We have 2 HD tv's that those will be hooked up to. I also have 2 smaller sd tv's throughout the house that we rarely use. Is it possible to split the line that is going to the HD receiver for the 2 smaller sd tv's? We use those 2 tv's so rarely it doesn't really make sense to pay for more receivers. I understand that all 3 sharing the receiver would have to watch the same channel, and it's fine if the 2 sd tv's couldn't access shows from the dvr.

Thanks in advance

2. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    :welcome_s

That's not likely the method they would use, but yes, using splitters is part of all installations (in some form).

Just let the installer know what units need to be connected, and he will likely do the work necessary to accomplish your goal.

3. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    You aren't really talking about MRV, but sharing an output. One way would be to use one of the other outputs from the DVR to the SD TV. Then use a remote extender to control the DVR.

The other way would be to get another MRV capable DirecTV receiver for the other TV. Or a regular receiver if you don't want to use MRV. But that would cost you $5/month.

4. packerblitz

packerblitz New Member

Jul 11, 2010
    What is the output on the back of the Receiver (not the dvr)? If it's coax, couldn't I split that and route it through the coax going through the house? All of our coax cables go to 1 spot in the basement where the charter cable comes in. Thanks!

(Being able to watch pre-recorded shows from the dvr on the sd tv's isn't necessary. Just be able to watch live tv)

5. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    That method won't work...you can't "daisy chain" the coax.

Again, I'd suggest you let the installer know what units you want connected, and let him determine (with your OK) how to proceed to assure things are properly connected.

6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    DIRECTV no longer offers RF modulators in its HD receivers so there's nothing to "split". For that, you'll need to employ an outboard RF modulator or maybe an old video recorder.

The cabling and modulator will be your responsibility to acquire, install and maintain.

7. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    SD receivers can be supported through the SWiM legacy ports, so the installer can get these operational....but not through the methods proposed by the OP.

8. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The OP inferred they had no intention of adding an SD receiver (D12) for the seldom used remote televisions. I suspect the confusion came from the mention of splitting the line "to" the HD receiver as opposed to from the HD receiver.

It seems that many have succumbed to the notion that when all you have is a hammer (SWiM/DECA), every challenge looks like a nail. ;)

9. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    More important...many think they know what they want when the eventually learn what they want.

10. packerblitz

packerblitz New Member

Jul 11, 2010
    My Dad has Directv and 2 receivers but more than 2 tv's are hooked up. The Tv's that share a receiver have to be on the same channel obviously.. They don't have HD or MRV. I'm guessing the reason we can't do the same is this deca or swm? Thanks!

11. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    If there is a free coax connection from your DVR location, then you can use something like this to convert your composite outputs to RF:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Belkin-F8V3063-RF-Modulator/13072965

You could then split that connection and send along coax (splitters OK) to each of the two SD TVs. Of course, those TVs would be stuck viewing whatever is on the DVR that is the source and you'd need to set your remote to RF in order to use it in other rooms. Not all DIRECTV remotes are RF capable ..

12. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    These receivers are probably ones that do have an RF output. The newer receivers don't, has nothing to do with DECA or SWM.

13. packerblitz

packerblitz New Member

Jul 11, 2010
    On a somewhat unrelated note, I'm assuming you can watch a pre-recorded show on the DVR in room 1 while at the same time watch a pre-recorded show from the DVR in room 2? I'm guessing they would have to be different shows.

Can room 2 begin watching a show that isn't finished recording?

14. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    If you have two DVRs and MRV, then the DVRs will operate independently of each other. There isn't a concept of watching the same show at the same time, although each DVR could start the same program and watch at the same time.

15. packerblitz

packerblitz New Member

Jul 11, 2010
    I'm just getting 1 DVR and 1-2 receivers.

16. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    The receivers will be able to watch Live TV or stream from the DVR, but only one (of the two) at a time. The DVR will be able to view Live TV or any recording regardless of what the receivers are doing.

17. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I think you'll have to get a Direct SD receiver because I believe these are the only boxes that have a F-connector output that could be split between your two SDTVs.

18. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
  19. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    This sounds decidedly dogmatic.