1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sports Blackout Rules

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by shendley, Oct 27, 2010.

1. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    So I'm hoping somebody can help me to figure out why Directv blacked out Mike Tomlin's Press Conference today on Fox Sports Pittsburgh. Is this a sporting event? I got the Sports Package as an Anniversary Gift and got hooked on the Presser (I'm just a bit into my Steelers, you know). But suddenly they start blacking it out this week. It's not like it's a game. What the heck is up with this?

2. Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    A lot of sports magazine & tabloid shows are blacked out.D has to black them out (out of their area) if they are requested to do so.

3. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    Me too....
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=185837

4. ffemtreed

ffemtreed Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    all blackouts should be illegal!!! if you subscribe to a channel you should get all content on that channel and not be discriminated against because of where you live.

5. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Have they started rerunning Penguins games before the presser that could cause a blackout overlap? Just wondering since hockey has started close to when you started having this issue.

6. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    I didn't notice. I guess that could be it. You know, for a while, they were actually letting Penguins game through on Fox Sports, but that may have been in conjunction with the free trial of Center Ice, I guess.

7. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    Just an update: the re-broadcast today of the Mike Tomlin Press Conference was not blacked out, but the first broadcast of the Mike Tomlin Show was blacked out today. Guess I have to figure out whether its worth $10 a month to see these shows later in the week than I've gotten used to seeing them.

And it still seems nuts to me that they include shows like this under the category of sporting events that need to be blacked out.

8. Nov 6, 2010 #8 of 11
    shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    For anyone else missing the live showing of the Mike Tomlin Press Conference (or the first showing of the Mike Tomlin Show, for that matter), thought I'd let you know that I called to cancel the sports package today and when I started talking about it to the CSR, she tried to find a reason as to why it should be blacked out and couldn't. She sent word about what was happening to Engineering and said that it would help if I could call in while the show was broadcasting live on Tuesday. I don't foresee being able to do that for a while because of my work schedule, but if anyone else is able to call while it's first being broadcast, who knows, they may be able to help us out with this one.

Also, in lieu of canceling the Sports Package she offered me a $10 credit for six months to offset the cost. Since it's now free for me, I guess I'll keep it and see if they can fix the problem. And it does sound like a problem to me after speaking with the CSR. She seemed pretty convinced that it shouldn't be subject to a black out.

9. Nov 6, 2010 #9 of 11
    JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Every program on the grid that gets blacked out apparently has notes tied to it that CSRs can look up, so if there's no reason behind a blackout in the notes, then it's usually a screw up and they push it up the chain.

10. Boston_bill

Boston_bill Icon

Jul 23, 2009
    As far as I know it's not a D* issue it's an issue with the leagues itself. I agree it's frustrating. If I want to watch a Mets game from 30 years ago why should that be blacked out.

11. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    It shouldn't. I don't think even recent replays are supposed to be blacked out.