sports fans (multi-sports package)...

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by buzzcut, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jul 2, 2008 #1 of 12
    buzzcut

buzzcut AllStar

Dec 12, 2006
    i'm just your "average joe" E* subscriber. i have the AT200 w/dish hdessentials. my rsn is FoxSportsNorth (btw, out of the Big Ten footprint)

i am considering subscribing to the multi-sports package. just wonder if anyone would be willing to offer their "2¢" about the package.

also, is it true that i would be able to "dump" it at any time should i choose to do so? for example, at the moment, i am thinking i would not need the package during the late spring/summer months. say i "dump" it late spring, i am assuming i would be able to call back and subscribe the following fall?

thanks for any help. just would like to gather all/any information i can BEFORE talking to a CSR.

2. Jul 2, 2008 #2 of 12
    garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Dish charges you a $5 dollar down grade fee (I don't think they like the term "Dump"). As far as ordering the package itself, I am not sure what it is you want from it. Rsn's which are close to your dma may be able to provide you with some sport teams you may not be receiving at the moment, but the majority of the pro teams (mlb, nba, nhl) will be blacked out. You will get some college games but some conference may have them blacked out for you as well. If that is your concern, I would go to a local dealer in your immediate area and scan through his guide to see what you may or may not be able to view in your area.

3. Jul 2, 2008 #3 of 12
    Charles Oliva

Charles Oliva Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Do you also have Altitude Sports from Denver as part of AT200, if you do then multi-sports will give you the Rockies in the clear from FSN Rocky Mountain. This mostly applies to areas in the Rapid City DMA.

4. Jul 2, 2008 #4 of 12
    FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    My quick, slightly dated take on what you get and don't get is at http://www.dishsportspack.com

Edit: I need to point out that my personal favorite reason to subscribe, Canadian Football League games, will apparently not be available this year. :(

5. Jul 3, 2008 #5 of 12
    buzzcut

buzzcut AllStar

Dec 12, 2006

no Altitude Sports here (i reside in northeastern SD). i suppose the easiest thing to do is try it out and see how the blackouts develop. the major reason for subscribing would be college football and basketball season's.

thanks for the responses!

6. Jul 3, 2008 #6 of 12
    garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Be prepared for the same game to be on several channels at the same time. Also make sure you get the Big Ten channels and the NBA channel as well.

7. Jul 3, 2008 #7 of 12
    epokopac

epokopac Godfather

Aug 8, 2007
    Lawrencevill...
    It's NOT Dish that blacks out the Pro sports, it's MLB, NBA and NHL that "sliced up" the country into regions (MANY moons ago) and put the blackouts in place. It's all based on your zip code. Mine is 30043; I get FSN South and SportsSouth in the clear and nothing else.

The Multi Sports Pack (MSP) is not for everyone (only you can make that decision) and was never intended to be a cheaper priced "MLB EI, NBA League Pass, NHL Center Ice, ..." replacement. Nobody would order the higher-priced packages if the MSP provided all that programming for $5.99 per month.

I like the Dish Network Multi Sports Package for MLB. It is the dime store alternative to MLB EI and almost every night you can watch at least an inning or two of some out of market games (after the 3 hour blackout lifts (SNY after 2.5 hours most nights); 2.5 for NBA and NHL). Rain delays, extra innings, high-scoring games, unscheduled doubleheaders are great. Sometimes a local feed from an out of market region may be in the clear as well.

That's plenty of baseball for me. Your mileage may vary.

It "would" be nice if MSP subscribers could select a couple of out-of-market RSNs for an additional fee per RSN per month. Anybody listening at Dish? We're talking about some extra revenue. Is there anybody out there? Just nod if you can hear me ... :)

8. Jul 3, 2008 #8 of 12
    FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    I was with you 100% up to this. If you're saying that you want one or two RSNs for less than the $6/month of the MSP, that's really pinching those pennies. If you're saying that you want to subscribe to a 24-hour in-the-clear out-of-market RSN, then you've already stated why you can't -- it's the sports leagues that prevent that scenario.

But yeah, I often consider the MSP as my extra innings (lower-case) package, because the extra innings are the majority of innings that I get to watch. :D

9. Jul 3, 2008 #9 of 12
    epokopac

epokopac Godfather

Aug 8, 2007
    Lawrencevill...
    I was thinking of something like this:

MSP - $5.99 per month
    My zip code = 30043 which means I get FSN South and SportsSouth.

Additional RSN 1 - STO (SportsTime Ohio) - 6.99 (?) per month additional
    Additional RSN 2 - NESN (New England Sports Network) - 6.99 (?) per month additional

The additional fee would "open" the blacked out (pro) games. The out-of-market RSNs are already in the clear 24/7 (mostly) EXCEPT for the pro games.

The sports leagues would probably not be interested. Too bad. :shrug:

10. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    If you want STO 24/7 from your zip code you would have to get MLB EI (not on E* this year you'd have to switch to D*) plus the Multisport pack for the non-game programming. The Indians games would be on MLB EI and all the rest would be on multisport (D* has a multisport pack too, I don't know what they call it).

None of the leagues offer a 24/7 access to one whole RSN. This is because one RSN may offer up to 3 different leagues (MLB, NBA, NHL) plus College conferences. Each league or conference has their own rules so in the end the only way to get the games OOM is buy buying the "ticket" packages, even though you may only be interested in one team out of the entire league.

11. epokopac

epokopac Godfather

Aug 8, 2007
    Lawrencevill...
    Perhaps MLB EI will be available on Dish in 2014 after the exclusive 700 million, seven-year agreement that MLB, Direct TV and InDemand have expires. I'm not interested in switching to D* just for MLB EI.

Here's my "dime store" EI setup:

AT200 + locals - My RSN (30043 zip code), WPCH (some Braves games for Atlanta area broadcast only), ESPN, ESPN2, Local Fox affliate, WGN (some Cubs and White Sox games), TBS Sunday
    WWOR - $1.50 per month - Some Yankees games
    WPIX - $1.50 month - Some Mets games
    Multi Sports Pack - $5.99 month - varies every day - sometimes they goof-up and forget to blackout a game (pretty rare lately)

Doesn't hurt to wish and offer a "new feature suggestion" to E*, even if it doesn't have much of a chance. Glad you're enjoying your 622! I'm VERY pleased with mine. :grin:

12. Shellback X 23

Shellback X 23 Legend

Sep 18, 2004
    I get the full RSN Oct. through April for Collage Hockey. Rest of the year I just get the RSN they give me for what ever my current service address is (see my sig.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.