Sports Pack - Worth It?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by DKNY330, Oct 29, 2011.

1. DKNY330

DKNY330 Cool Member

Sep 4, 2011
    I've had DirectTV for over a month now and all is working out good. I chose the Premiere Package because I wanted all the movie channels and it had the Sports Pack included. However anything I want to watch on Sports Pack is blacked out, so what's the point?

Here's my question: If I go to the Choice Ultimate Package and then take all the movie channels will I actually be paying less? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. PrinceLH

PrinceLH Member

Feb 18, 2003
    If you take all of the movie channels, they call it Ultimate and you get Sportspack. I did that and found it a waste of time. All of the major sports have premium status and blackouts rule. What's the sense in watching old games or talking heads? I cancelled after one week. Right now, I'm not running any movie services, except the HD Extra package. It'll do, until there is some new movies to actually watch on the Premiums. All of my premiums were on promotion, so they all ended on different dates. You have to cancel them on the day the promo ends, or you end up paying full price for them.

3. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    SportsPak is pretty good for college football. Yesterday I had 12-15 games to choose from thru out the day/night. If it is a Pro game(NHL,MLB,NBA) you won't get the game without that sports season ticket/pass but you do get the pre game and coaches shows. To me its worth it in the Fall but then I cancel. Just my take on it.....

4. Red Dog

Red Dog Godfather

Aug 3, 2008
    Great for college football and college hoops - so I subscribe to it in the fall and winter.

5. durian

durian Mentor

Feb 9, 2010
    yes it is worth it, it you like sports. after nov 1 , it will not be worth it. no fox soccer, regional fox sports channels, etc.

6. Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    If you are into sports,yes they are worth it.I would wait and see if D resolves their issue with Fox before you order it.If they drop the FSNs,I will be dropping the sports pack.

7. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    I love the Sports Pack. As Red Sox and Bruins fans who now live away from New England, NESN is a must-have. The Bruins-in-2 broadcasts are never blacked out and the pre- and post- game stuff is good as well as college hockey/football and their original programming. NESN was my most-watched channel in New England and is close to it in NC, too. Like others have said, there are black outs, but, to us, the Sports Pack brings a little bit of home to us while we're down south.

8. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    I would not be surprised if D* doesn't come up with something in the way of waiving the charge for the sports pack if these channels are dropped.
    When Vs was dropped I was given CI for free.

9. YKW06

YKW06 Legend

Feb 2, 2006
    $ 70.99/mo. -- Choice Ultimate
    $ 15.99/mo. -- HBO
    $ 12.99/mo. -- Max
    $ 12.99/mo. -- Starz
    $ 12.99/mo. -- Sho
    ------------
    $125.95/mo. -- Total

OR

$114.99/mo. -- Premier

'Course, if D* still does the thing where there's a cumulative discount for each additional premium ordered (no sign of it on my account pages, though), Premier becomes slightly less of a deal. But it's still less expensive than stripping the Sports Pak out and going a la carte for the others.

Also, while the SP's RSN pro programming may see a lot of blackouts, there is a large amount of college and non-major sports programming that's left in the clear, as well as local-oriented sports reporting (invaluable to those of us displaced from our rooting interests). There is also a ton of college programming available on dedicated college sports channels in the Pak, as well as massive amounts of soccer. If you expected the SP to be a cheap alternative to Extra Innings or Center Ice... well, yeah, it's gonna be a disappointment. If you go in looking at what's actually there, though... you might just be pleasantly surprised.

10. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    All 4 movie channels cost $45/month, so if you add that to the Choice Ultimate, it costs a $1 more than the Premiere that has those and the Sports Pack.

For me, I'm a new signup and it is really cheap to have Premiere. But this month my first 3 months will be up and with it the $45/month rebate on the premiums, so I will be making some changes unless I'm offered a reason not to.

Most likely I'll end up with Choice Plus, 2 movie channels for a bill around the $85 mark.

If I kept Premier, my bill for then next 9 months would be $106 approximately.

Both those figures are within the range I'm comfortable with.

11. pistolpete52

pistolpete52 AllStar

Sep 3, 2010
    Same here. I'm from New England and live in FL. I'm a big Celtics fan, so I get to see the pre and post game stuff on CSNNE. On weekends during football season, there are a bunch of games on these channels.

12. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    If you have Choice Ultimate and add all the movie channels it will actually drop you down to the Choice Extra package I believe. Otherwise you would be paying for the Encore and TMC channels twice. It does save you a few dollars a month (that's what I have right now).

13. ffemtreed

ffemtreed Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    I like having the sports pack for 1 reason. NHL center ice.

With the sports pack I can record the games on the teams RSN and not have to guess which feed I am going to get if I use the center ice channels. For some reason the guide data doesn't tell you which feed and the old trick of the home team is listed first didn't seem help me much. Also the time slots for the games on the RSN's are much more precise than the 6 or 8 hour blocks they use on center ice. I just record the game on the RSN channel and add an hour to the recording.

14. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    You'll still get FSN's national programming on the Root Sports, MSG Plus and Comcast SportsNet channels.

Also, the Sports Pack isn't just FSN and Fox Soccer, you also get some niche sports channels like TVG, ESPN Classic, Gol TV, The Mtn and Outdoors channel, Universal Sports will soon be Sports Pack only. And if you're on the outer ring of some teams, the sports pack let's you get additonal games. i.e. Where I live in the Poconos we can get the Penguins and Pirates games from Root Sports Pittsburgh.

The niche channels that were exclusive to the package have been decreasing in recent years because of new deals with the individual stations to get further exposure. CBS Sports and NBA TV used to be a Sports Pack exclusive.

15. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    So you pay for the RSNs and CI just so you can record the RSNs when there is a hockey game?

16. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Yeah, you don't even need the Sports Pack to do that. Outside of CBC, TSN and Rogers SportsNet games, the Center Ice channels are just the RSN remapped to the Center Ice range. The RSN's channel will be available for the game even if you don't have the Sports Pack, although if you have "Channels I Get" as your lineup you might not see the RSN in you EPG.

17. Dazed & Confused

Dazed & Confused Godfather

Jun 13, 2007
    Unless one has a vested interested in one the FSN's at risk, they really are a very small part of the Sports Pack. If there is a football game on Saturday, it most likely is the same game on all the channels and available on a channel not at risk. I doubt I could even tell which ones are missing if it happens. I would suspect that losing SPEED will cause 10X the bitching as the the FSN's.

18. lacubs

lacubs Godfather

Sep 11, 2010
    i have the Sports Pack for 3 reason, i love Boomer & Carton on MSG, Mike Francesa on YES, and my brother has a wrestling show on STO, so the Sports Pack is a must!

19. HGuardian

HGuardian Godfather

Aug 9, 2010
    I'm thinking of dropping it, especially with the dispute coming up. I liked it during baseball season for Tigers Live pre and post game...

Like any package it depends on the content you watch. If you find yourself not watching it and it's cheaper for you to dump it than dump it. It's gonna be different for each person.

20. diogenes433

diogenes433 New Member

May 11, 2011
    I take it out during the baseball season and drop it when baseball is over....