sports package

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by stetterhawk, Mar 30, 2020.

1. stetterhawk

stetterhawk Member

Aug 4, 2016
    Tower, MN
    My wife called up to cancel a free three month showtime preview for us. I told her to also cancel my sports package, not getting $9.00 worth out of them. The CSR told her with Choice package we had to keep regional sports fee of over $9.00. I don't understand this . Anyone know if this is the facts or what the CSR was talking about.

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yeah, she was probably right.

Rich

3. stetterhawk

stetterhawk Member

Aug 4, 2016
    Tower, MN
    OK, Why, I still don't understand, you pay for choice, why more fee, and why list it as an individual package on your bill

4. Bitterman

Bitterman New Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Hudson...
    Agree, that's right. The regional fee is for games on local channels, etc., not games on sports channels.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Dishdude714 likes this.
  5. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    You would need to change to a subscription package with no Regional Sports networks.

Rich and Dishdude714 like this.
  6. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    "sports package" (n) - A DIRECTV package that adds OTHER PLACES' regional sports networks (with MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS, and some college content blacked out) ; and a few specialty interest national sports channels.

"season sports package" (n) - A DIRECTV package that adds OTHER PLACES' MLB (Extra Innings), NHL (Centre Ice), etc games, most derived from the RSNs as noted above.

"regional sports fee" (n) - A DIRECTV fee that any customer with any package that includes THEIR OWN PLACE'S regional sports network, including the local MLB, NBA, MLS, NHL, etc, teams' games, which passes through to the local RSN, and thus the owner, and thus the zillionaire players. The fee is carried as a separate line item because it differs from place to place depending on the RSN's cost.

Dishdude714 likes this.
  7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The RSN fee is due to the high price of sports channels within ones own market.
    DIRECTV is under contract to continue to pay the sports channels, and DIRECTV is continuing to charge the fees.

The solution is to change to a package that does not have RSNs - which may lead to losing other channels.

I assume that the sports channels have already written their checks to the teams they normally carry. It would make sense that if the team (and league) fail to deliver a product that the channels would not be obligated to pay - and it would make sense that the savings be passed on to the viewers who normally pay those bills. Things that make sense do not always come to pass.

Dishdude714 likes this.
  8. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    to bad all sports channels is not an add on pack.

Dishdude714 likes this.
  9. stetterhawk

stetterhawk Member

Aug 4, 2016
    Tower, MN
    Ok, Thanks I looked up all packages and the package with no sports fee was looking like I might go for it. The sad thing is when looking at the channels We got excited because it looked like we would not miss any of the channels we would lose until we got to W and the only channel we watch is the Weather Channel. For us it would drop our price about $20.00 so now we have to decide if the Weather Channel is worth that much. Starting to think we could live without Jim Cantore.

10. daniloni

daniloni Active Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    You can get the weather channel and a few other channels on frndly tv for $6, $8, or $10 per month depending on the plan.

11. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    or you could just look out the window -for free

ericknolls and b4pjoe like this.
  12. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Or better still invest in a Weather Rock. It's placed outside suspended from a cord. If you can see it's shadow it's sunny. If it's wet it's raining. If it's hard to see it's foggy. If it's covered in white it's snowing. If there's ice hanging off of it it's freezing. If it's swaying it's windy. Very accurate and reliable. :rolleyes:

xrobmn, ericknolls, compnurd and 4 others like this.
  13. wmb

wmb Godfather

Dec 17, 2008
    I have a tough time thinking of any one channel that is worth $20 per month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    So that's what I've been using all these years :) -- I have lots of them --and I'll start selling them on the internet soon ;) --Made in America ;)

MysteryMan likes this.
  15. B. Shoe

B. Shoe Mentor

Apr 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Is there a wi-fi connected version so I can get updates from my rock while I'm at work? :)

Enjoyed this post.

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Or use the Accuweather app on his phone. I haven't used the Weather Channel for years except for the odd hurricane. The phone app is rarely wrong and there's no BS on it.

Rich

WestDC likes this.
  17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I would happily pay more than that for the YES channel. Just me, YMMV. As a matter of fact, at the moment I am paying $160 a month for the YES channel and can't even use it. But, when (and IF) MLB resumes it will be worth every penny.

Rich

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Thinking of all the people that bought Pet Rocks?

Rich

WestDC likes this.
  19. stetterhawk

stetterhawk Member

Aug 4, 2016
    Tower, MN
    One reason we use sat for weather is very poor to none cell phone service at my home, don't even own smart phone. The rock idea sounds like a good one, I hope this doesn't cause a run on rocks. Which style of rock works best, the smooth round ones or the flat ones? $20.00 bucks is too much for just Jim Cantore's bald head catching snow.

20. wmb

wmb Godfather

Dec 17, 2008
    Seems like season tickets would be cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk