1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sports Programming as it says...

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by Steveox, May 10, 2004.

1. Steveox

Steveox Banned User

Apr 21, 2004
    Dish network has NBA league pass.NHL center ice,MLB Extra Innings.ESPN game plan,ESPN full court.Direct tv has the same sports programming Why dish network cant get NFL Sunday ticket too?Dish network should get the same thing like direct tv has?

2. TonyM

TonyM Banned User

Aug 14, 2003
    DirectTv got 1st dibs to buy the rights in 1995 before Dish was a company. DirectTv had exclusive status and they got 1st dibs in 2002 or 2003 to renew.

They have Exclusive status for that until 2008.

Dish just got EI this year and CI in 2002-2003

3. Steveox

Steveox Banned User

Apr 21, 2004
    That aint right.I want my NFL on dish too.The reason i left direct tv cause their programming is so expensive.Untill they stop making sports pack,TMC,IFC and Encore into premium channels i wont go back. :mad:

4. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Directv=Home of the NFL Sunday Ticket and SIX HD games per week as well as the NFL Network (65 preseason games). Sounds like you got pissed at the rates then took your toys and went home to Dish without first doing your homework :lol:

5. Steveox

Steveox Banned User

Apr 21, 2004
    Well i wasnt gonna keep paying $90 a month for those premium channels. :nono:

6. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Well then its YOUR own fault for not dropping down from TCP Premier of course that package is costly. :nono2:

7. Steveox

Steveox Banned User

Apr 21, 2004
    I didnt have the Total Choice premium.I have HBO,SHOWTIME And SPORTS PACK Add em up to TOTAL CHOICE PLUS,And what you get? 42.99 plus 12.00 plus 11.00 and plus 10.00 and 9.99 TIVO Service that adds up to around $81 PLUS LIBERAL STATE TAX and thats over $90.00.On Dish network i get americas top 180 $49.99 which includes TMC.IFC ENCORE And sports channels.Plus i added HBO & MAX that comes out $61 add liberal sales tax thats about $71 So thats like a $20 savings.Plus i get more than direct tv can offer!So i got the bigger bargan.

8. Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson Hall Of Fame

May 5, 2003
    Saying you want your NFL Sunday Ticket on Dish Network would be exactly like saying you want your Monday Night Football from UPN.

The NFL has entered into many exclusive arrangements. The NFL has contracted with:

FOX for the NFC package
    CBS for the AFC package
    ESPN for the Sunday Night Football package
    ABC for the Monday Night Football package
    DirecTV for the Sunday Ticket package

If there is anyone to blame, it is the NFL.
    Not if you want NFL Sunday Ticket.

9. Steveox

Steveox Banned User

Apr 21, 2004
    I cannot complain to Encore and IFC networks that directv tv is scamming their pricing to recive these networks.Id like congress pass a bill called network fraud which means if they charge you too much that that channel is worth,Then mr murdock would be in a cell with a guy named bubba.Its the same thing scalping tickets.Suppose i charge a miami dolphin fan 2 tickets at $200 for a game vs New York Jets in miami.Then the pigs would bust me scalping tickets and then ill be put in a cell with a guy named bubba.So i think fair is fair.

10. DJSix

DJSix AllStar

Jan 19, 2004
    There's a few things wrong with this:

1) Tivo service is only $4.99/month...and the nice thing is, that's per household. Want 4 dvr's through D*? Only one charge of $4.99/month for the dvr service.

2) If you're going to quote the price for TCP @ $42.99, that means you're including locals, so quote the price of $66.99 for T180 w/locals, HBO, and Cinemax.

3) With T180 you get your RSN, but if you want all the rsn's E* has to offer, it's an additional $5.99/month.

4) Learn to use a calculator.....

a) TCP w/locals(42.99) + HBO(12.00) + Showtime(11.00) + Sports Pack(10.00) + DVR(4.99) + Tax(10.00) = $90.98

b) T180 w/locals, HBO, and Cinemax(66.99) + Sports Pack(5.99) + DVR(4.99) + Tax(10.00) = $87.97

Not quite $20....

5) Lastly, "getting more" is purely subjective. With the sports pack you're not getting Fox Sports World, FS West, FS West 2, Yes Network, College Sports Television, Fuel, and NFL Network. Are you getting Trio? No? But you are getting education channels from Univ of Washington, Northern Arizona Univ, and Univ of California. Are you getting Fine Living? No? But you are getting shopping channels like TV Outlet Mall, Auction TV, and Catalog TV.

Finally....

There was a reason I left E* after 6 years, maybe I should go back for all the shopping and PI channels I'm missing by having D*? :D

11. jrbdmb

jrbdmb Icon

Sep 5, 2002
    My only complaint with DirecTV pricing is that (assuming no other premium services) I think $12 is a bit steep for the Sports Pack. if I were D* I'd move a few of the channels (Fuel, FSW, Golf Channel) to TC+, and then drop the cost of the Sports Pack to $6 to compete with E*.

This (and no Style Channel for the wife) are the only negatives I can find with jumping to D* when my Dish commitment expires at the end of the year.

12. mainedish

mainedish Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2003
    Directv earns every penny they get from me. I want my equipment to work and it does. Dish will never get the NFL as long as Charlie Ergen runs the company.

13. DJSix

DJSix AllStar

Jan 19, 2004
    I should have mentioned that Fuel is a part of the sports pack, but also you get it with TC+ or above. As for the "possible" cost of the package, it's hard to know if I would pay $12 for it. I do like the fact that during hockey season, I can watch the Red Wings Pregame, Postgame, and Red Wings Weekly on FS Detroit. Since my wife and I wanted all the premium movie services, paying just $7 is well worth it.

As for the Style channel...with the new sat up in the air..freeing up space..who knows what channels may be added...Keep your eyes open

14. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I seem to remember the statement:

Dish will never get the NHL as long as Charlie Ergen runs the company.

They did.

Dish will never get the NBA as long as Charlie Ergen runs the company

They did.

Dish will never get the MLB as long as Charlie Ergen runs the company

They did.

Along with MLS, Full Court, Game Plan, World Primier Soccer, Cricket and all sorts of other sports and pseudo-sports (WWE, and the like).

Dish has never had the oportunity to even bid on the NFL. That's why it isn't on Dish. DirecTV bought exclusive rights to the NFL before Dish existed. The exclusive rights DirecTV bough include the right of first refusal which means as long a DirecTV pays the asking price, Dish is frozen out.

Now please lets stop the VENOM against Dish or DirecTV and stick to the subject.

See ya
    Tony

15. Steveox

Steveox Banned User

Apr 21, 2004
    Charlie is doing a hellve lot better than direct tv is doing.All direct tv CEOs are thinking about is getting your money!and make sure your wallet runs dry.

16. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    What color is the sky in your world?

17. jrbdmb

jrbdmb Icon

Sep 5, 2002
    Yes, I also applaud Charlie the humanitarian, who has no interest in profits but only wants to provide TV at low cost to the masses.
    :icon_stup

18. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    In Steveox's case its Dish Kool-aid (Pick your flavor) :lol:

19. Steveox

Steveox Banned User

Apr 21, 2004
    Ill take strawberry. !pepsi!

20. Steveox

Steveox Banned User

Apr 21, 2004
    Charlie should take direct tv to court if necessary take them to the surpreme court.And sue mr murdock illeagal monopoly by direct tv.Being exclusive rights to NFL sunday ticket is illegal.Look How come is it ok for the NFL monopolize 4 networks and NBA and Baseball cant do that? NFL has ABC,CBS,FOX and ESPN.So If the NFL can monopolize so can satellite companies.