Sports score graphics and ticker look terrible on new TV everything else looks amazing

Discussion in 'High Definition Displays' started by Cmrklr, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Cmrklr

Cmrklr New Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Cincinnati
    So, I just bought a new 4K tv. Samsung ku6300 series. The picture is insanely good. Watching football today and the ticker at the bottom and the score graphics as well as player headshots look like jpgs saved at a quality of 5/100. Checked the tv I just unhooked. Same images look just fine. Any idea why this is? Is there a setting I'm missing? Literally everything else looks amazing. Checked another channel, images also look bad but not as bad as ABC. Driving me crazy, any help is appreciated

2. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Same TV, same observation. Just got it the other day and I noticed it on all the graphics on Thanksgiving football and it's even worse with college. It's like the picture and graphics are not from the same screen. The game is nearly 4K and the graphics are barely SD. I have noticed it is worse on locals than national channels, but not much.

Make sure you have all the motion junk off (or nearly off) and that should help with the ticker clarity, at least it did for me. If they're going to put all that annoying crap on the screen, at least make it look good!

It's not all graphics on all channels for me, but the big sports channels are the worst offenders. News graphics are usually the quality you'd expect. Fine print on commercials I've never been to read before is clear as day. Maybe I was used to the crappy ones, but the AXSTV basketball games looked fine. CBS isn't nearly as bad as, say, ESPN. ESPN had a game on the other nights and the logo in the score graphic was so bad I couldn't tell what it was.

But like you said, everything else is gloriously spectacular. The movie channels, most shows, game action - flawless and perfect blacks and whites, even in motion. Even the SD channels on Directv look better. I tried to watch some streaming 4K but my Internet is pretty crappy and it would pause a lot.

3. Cmrklr

Cmrklr New Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Cincinnati
    Ugh. I hate that that is all I can see. I mean the game is mind blowing the. Up pops a graphic and it's horrific. 720p vs 1080i channels are noticeably different. But the graphics still look bad at 1080i. I mean I watched grand tour on prime last night and my wife commented that my mouth was open because it looked so nice, and the tv told me the resolution of the source was to low. The dang tv was taunting me that it could look better, but a simple score graphic looks like ass warmed over

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If the text looks bad / fuzzy it is usually, at least for me, that the contrast and possible the sharpness is turned up too high.
    I also got a new 4k Samsung KU7000 this week and it is awesome. I flipped from channel to channel for 4 days now and tried all the different picture settings and found that I like the Natural one the best after tweaking the brightness, sharpness and the dynamic contrast.
    I never changed the motion control. It is set to Auto and works just fine.
    Old movies like The Magnificent Seven are just like being in a movie theater. Wow.

5. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    There must be a way of disabling that taunting message. Sometimes it pops up with the taunt with the source info screen behind it and it clearly says HD 1920x1080i. You know, the resolution that was "mind blowing" just 10-15 years ago... and now is "too low..."

6. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I don't get that message about unsupported mode, input signal too low.

Some settings that might affect that are.

In the DTV receiver, set resolutions to only 720p and 1080i, Native to ON.

In the TV, HDMI Color to ON.

For my TV and lower model numbers it says it has to be plugged into HDMI 1. Higher model numbers ( the SUHD sets ) can configure each HDMI port.

7. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    I have tried the native on and off with the new set and the message pops up even more! Whenever it goes from a 1080i to 720p channel and back, it comes on.
    I didn't realize that about HDMI1. I stuck my input into HDMI2 just out of habit, I'll switch it to HDMI1 and see what happens.

Everything I have goes to the Denon to the TV. The Denon is not 4K, perhaps that has something to do with the message. Speaking of the Denon AVR, I am impressed that the input on the TV will tell you what input the Denon is on. Now, it's on Directv and there is a directv menu and the HDMI1 input is labeled "Directv" - but if I switch inputs on the Denon it will instantly change on the screen to whatever I selected.

I love the full HDMI control - switching from the TV's streaming (Netflix, You Tube) functions to the Denon, everything changes on its own just by changing 1 input. The 4K streaming services are disappointing to me personally because my Internet is not good (25) and anything over 8 or 9 minutes will play but pause a lot. When it works, it's stunning. I know 75 Internet is available here, so I am going to have to visit Comcast to see about improving that.

8. Cmrklr

Cmrklr New Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Cincinnati
    Changed the dtv settings like you suggested and the hdmi color. Graphics look SLIGHTLY better, but still like crap. Thanks for the suggestion. Was already in hdmi 1

9. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    I don't think it's the TV. I think it is the channels themselves. Here's an example of what I mean from Red Zone.

Yellow arrow: graphics look good
    Orange arrow: numbers are acceptable but logos are crap
    Red arrows: awful, even at the reduced size.

It's hard to tell the quality variance from my phone. The graphic from the New Orleans game is a close up but it's how it looks from 12 feet away.

Attached Files:

10. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Well, the Saints logo won't upload. But trust me, looks like something from the 1990s.

11. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    I notice that the color overall is slightly better with the color adjustment on. Thanks jimmy 57! So if I had something in HDMI2 and 3, those sources would just look a little worse? That seems lame!

Who is your TV provider?

12. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I can't say. I do not have anything else to plug into the TV.

13. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    There is a noticeable difference from one channel to another for sure.
    A good place for anyone to see that is to get the 205 mix channel up on the screen. Some are darker than others and some have more color than others.

14. Cmrklr

Cmrklr New Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Cincinnati
    Direct tv. THERES a huge difference between ABC (720p) and CBS (1080i), but overall every live tv graphic looks like hell. The produced graphics loke redzone or a replay piece on a halftime show look fine. It's bizarre. I spent most of yesterday staring at ugly graphics instead of watching the games.

1 person likes this.
  15. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    For some reason, two of my ABC affiliates are 1080i. The third is 720p, like most. There isn't much of a difference in the picture quality between the 3, but WVNY (720p) just doesn't look as bright and full as the others (WCVB/WMUR). For what it's worth, WVNY's sister station is the VT Fox WFFF and their picture stutters during motion and doesn't look as vivid as Fox 25 Boston, both 720p. It's like Sinclair doesn't care about their small market channels. That isn't new or exclusive to this TV or Directv. Comcast and OTA are the same. Emails are ignored.

WCVB and WMUR are Hearst and look great all the time. The VT NBC (WNNE/WPTZ) is also Hearst but their brightness is too high and local news looks even worse, compared to the current Boston NBC (WHDH), owned by Sunbeam. I do most of my NBC watching on the DNS feed, since I am lucky enough to still have it, and there are zero complaints there. Hockey has looked amazing on NBC-east and NBCSN.

16. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Aside: Until now, I didn't realize there were tiny words written in whitebelow the ticker on Red Zone, Velocity Vector and Wind? System. And some numbers. I never really noticed it before, except for when the white would flicker and restart.

I have also noticed that the logos in the guide for teams (to the right on the top) look great there but the same logo on graphics, about the same size look awful. I find myself doing the same, distracted by the horrid graphics. ESPN basketball is especially bad, at least for college. But as for football today... "How can I see the dimples on the football but there is blur and distortion on the freaking score graphic? ON THE SAME SCREEN?"

17. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I just went to ESPN and loaded the Score Guide. It does not look good. But, as you state most all other text does look good.
    I am not going to try to adjust for that since all else looks so good.

18. Cmrklr

Cmrklr New Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Cincinnati
    Yep, I've given up. The picture looks fantastic. It took most of the early game but I'm just ignoring the 1992 jpgs now.

Even better: impaused a halftime highlight and the ticker it was showing looked fine. I mean wtf. Also they do not look bad on the 1080p vizio I just replaced.

19. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    My TV screen dimmed a few minutes ago. It did that yesterday and I cycled thru the different choices of Dynamic, Standard and Natural and it came back.
    Today I looked into some other settings.
    It has an ECO Mode and it was set to ON. Turned it to OFF and the bright picture came back.

20. Cmrklr

Cmrklr New Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Cincinnati
    Yeah eco mode is evil. I set mine up like rtings said to and played with the backlight setting for my typical room set up and it's great.