Sports Stuff

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by fjames, Dec 21, 2017.

1. fjames

fjames Mentor

Nov 24, 2010
    Just trying to figure out if my issue is normal, the way it is, or if there's a technical glitch.

My basic package includes the league channels. I also have the sports package (primarily to get beIN Sports - chasing MotoGP around) which of course is mostly local rsns.

You can't watch live games (NBA) on the local rsn from the sports pack. I get that. Problem is, now that I have the sports pack, I can't watch NBATV (sat, not online) games either. I'm assuming because they just tap into the local rsn. Which I can't watch. Except I'm not, I'm trying to watch on the NBA channel.

DTV is no help. Just wondering if this is the norm, or should I pursue it?

2. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    You need Choice or higher to get your local RSN. The sports pack just gives you the non-pro sports from out of market RSNs.

If NBA TV is showing a game that your local RSN is airing, it will be blacked out. You have to watch that game on your local RSN.

Sports Pack doesn't give you every sports channel, for the ones not in it you still need their base package. (i.e. you also need Xtra or higher if you want FS2, NBA TV and the NHL Network)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  3. fjames

fjames Mentor

Nov 24, 2010
    Thanks for replying.

Sorry, wasn't clear. Local rsn isn't the issue. My local rsns provide the Pacers, Cavs and Reds. No problem there.

The sports pack carries all the post game stuff and whatever for their respective pro teams, and I can view all that no problem.

Issue is, I think, while I can't view pro teams (I have a favorite team, that's why I'm upset) in live games on the sports pack channel, which I accept, when the NBA channel taps into the local rsn for their broadcast of a distant, live game, I can't view that either. It's exactly as if I were trying to view it on the local rsn for that team (from the sports pack.)