1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sportspack blackouts?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Maleman, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Jun 9, 2011 #1 of 23
    Maleman

Maleman Icon

Apr 17, 2007
    Whats the reasoning that those vintage games from the past are blacked out on the NY sports stations?

2. Jun 9, 2011 #2 of 23
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Probably because the channel showing them did not pay the copyright owner for national broadcast rights.

3. Jun 9, 2011 #3 of 23
    Maleman

Maleman Icon

Apr 17, 2007
    Great :) thanks for that....makes sense.

4. Jun 9, 2011 #4 of 23
    hallrk

hallrk Legend

Apr 15, 2010
    I didn't know they had to do that to show the games on the local RSN's. Thanks for clearing that up. I had always wondered why SNY and FSNNorth blacked out those old Mets and Twins games.

5. Jun 9, 2011 #5 of 23
    fireponcoal

fireponcoal Icon

Sep 26, 2009
    i'd be a very frustrated fan if i followed the twins and lived out of town. they seem to black out just about everything twins related outside of the live broadcasts.

6. Jun 9, 2011 #6 of 23
    Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    In all cases, the league (MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL and MLS) owns the copyright to all film/video of the game-I guess you could say the "performance" of the game.

7. Jun 9, 2011 #7 of 23
    ronsanjim

ronsanjim Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Cherokee...
    And just another reason to NOT subscribe to Sports Pak. I subscribed when they offered me $10 off for 6 months. The Cardinals games are the only reason they "got me" this time.

8. Eksynyt

Eksynyt Icon

Feb 8, 2008
    Sports Pack is only viable for College Sports during college football and college basketball...that's it.

9. Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    New Jersey
    For you maybe...for folks outside the market of their favorite team, pre and post game shows for pro sports is a pretty good enticement.

10. kikkenit2

kikkenit2 Icon

Oct 25, 2006
    I just shut off sports pack for a few months. During the fall with college football games and all winter long tons of the best pro soccer in the world makes the directv sports pack a major reason I stay with directv.

11. HGuardian

HGuardian Godfather

Aug 9, 2010
    Or for those "in-market" for some teams whose games aren't carried without the Sports Pack. Here, for example, Braves games are all you get without Sports Pack even though the Cardinals are easily the biggest baseball team (They are the only games on radio you can pick up AM or FM). You need Sports Pack to get the Cardinals (and Reds) games.

12. rrdirectsr

rrdirectsr Legend

Jan 30, 2011
    I like the boxing and my wife will sometimes watch the other sports like softball.

13. fireponcoal

fireponcoal Icon

Sep 26, 2009
    Fox soccer and goal are important to many as well..

14. rrdirectsr

rrdirectsr Legend

Jan 30, 2011
    and Roller Derby. :)

15. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    My problem is with them blacking out games that are not being aired. How can they blackout something you can not watch? If the tv station is not going to air the game then my MLB.TV subscription should not be blacked out. Seems like a bunch of crap to me.

16. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    MLB rules. No matter if you can get the game in another method. Based on geography.

17. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    That dont make it right. I have never had a NFL game blacked out ever and have never heard of them choosing not to air a game either. I know there are more games in a MLB season but this time there was no excuse. There was no programming on at the time just the crappy music and the D* logo. If we are gonna be forced to pay an extra $10 to see teams that are supposed to be local then why can we not see all the games at least the home ones anyways.

18. maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    The Local RSN's are mostly ONLY shown in the local region. E.g. a Los Angeles based CABLE company does not have a e.g Michigan based sports network in its sports package.

Satellite changed all that as they broadcast to CONUS. TV stations still have to pay the owner of the broadcast rights a pretty penny to show old games..... and paying the feel for only the local DMA is a LOT cheaper then paying for CONUS. See, over 95% of viewers are covered with the local area, the remainder of the viewers are satellite subscribers across the country that have the sports package.... AND might like to tune in to those particular games.

19. maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    The $10 that you pay for the sports package was never meant to see more MLB games. You live in a certain area, and you get the RSN's for that area. The MLB decides based on THEIR geographical database whether your zipcode gets to see the game in question or not.

In my opinion it should be a lot simpler. There should 6 or so "zones" in which all games can be seen, with an option to BUY access to another "zone" for e.g. $15 a month or so. The zones will somewhat be based on the density of the local teams, but not as fragmented as they are now. Then, if you live on the border of a zone, and are a fan of a team in a neighboring zone, you just buy a monthly subscription to that zone. And then the only time a game will be blacked out..... is if the team in zone B (the second zone you purchased outside of your zone) is playing out in zone A. Then because of commercial interest you will have to tune in to the zone A RSN.

This could work..... you know, I am an Angels fan, and a Ducks fan..... but would love to also see the regular season games of the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Toronto Blue Jays. Granted, this is Canada, but if they get included in these "zones", I would spend the $15 a month to see those games, whereas a NHL Center Ice or MLB Extra Innings is way too much money for me as I don't care about all the other teams.

20. lokar

lokar Icon

Oct 7, 2006
    I agree but the leagues are too greedy. For instance, I would much rather buy just a couple of teams' games for the NHL instead of the entire NHL Center Ice package.