ST just switched games??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Maleman, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Dec 4, 2011 #1 of 11
    Maleman

Maleman Icon

Apr 17, 2007
    WTH! I pay directv/Sunday ticket to watch my steelers! Just because they are winning yet there is still one quarter left, they switched to the jets game!!

They steelers game is on my local.

This is ridiculous and in these cases they should open up the ST channel so I can continue watching what I paid for.

Who do I file a complaint with?

PS I guess they did open up the ST channel-sorry

Thanks

2. Dec 4, 2011 #2 of 11
    shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    Hope you hung in there. They missed a 3 and out by the Bengals, but lifted the black out on the Sunday Ticket channel on the next Steelers possession. So, all in all, I thought directv responded pretty quickly. Even though it was a blow out I always want to watch every play from my Steelers!

3. Dec 4, 2011 #3 of 11
    bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I was watching the same game on the local CBS station and it also switched. Perhaps it was a technical program with the feed.

4. Dec 5, 2011 #4 of 11
    O2BRich

O2BRich Legend

Nov 8, 2006
    I don't understand why they do not just show the game on both channels.
    I know the local station will miss commercial revenue but Fox or CBS will still get it.
    I usually watch the game with a 10 to 20 minute buffer to FF through commercials. So by the time I realize they changed the game I have missed a good portion.
    DTV will automatically change my recording to the local station why can't it change it back to the ST channel?

5. Dec 5, 2011 #5 of 11
    ssandhoops

ssandhoops AllStar

Dec 2, 2007
    They should have turned on the D* feed when your local channel switched. I was watching the Broncos/Vikings on a local channel when they switched to the Rams. I switched to the D* channel and was able to see the rest of the game and I can verify the D* channel was blacked out earlier.

6. Dec 5, 2011 #6 of 11
    cmasia

cmasia Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    The easiest way to fix this is to nationally open all the 700 channels carrying a 1:00 game at 4:00.

Local OTA commercials are only sold between periods, so by 4:00 there would be no local spots on your FOX or CBS station until the game 1:00 game is over.

I'm not certain if local spots are sold on the double header network between the end of the 1:00 game, and the beginning of the 4:15 game.
    When the 1:00 game runs past 4:15, I know there are none.

This fix is so simple, it's no surprise it has not been implemented.

7. Dec 5, 2011 #7 of 11
    shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    I think the simplest solution is just for somebody at directv to stay on top of what nationally televised games are being left because they're blow outs and simply lift the black out as soon as that happens. They could have been a bit quicker with the Steelers this Sunday, but it only took them about 3-5 minutes to get the game back up on the ST channel, so I thought they did a pretty good job - could have been a bit quicker, of course. But it was no big deal. And I caught the plays I missed earlier on the Short Cut.

Also, there is a pretty easy fix for the problem of watching the game with a significant time delay. Just record both the local channel and the ST channel. I didn't do this Sunday because I was watching the game live, but I would always do that if I was watching it off the buffer since directv has no control over whether the network will leave one game for a more competitive game. Simply out of their hands.

8. Dec 6, 2011 #8 of 11
    sdirv

sdirv Icon

Dec 14, 2008
    Same here.....watching on my local CBS affiliate when they switched from the Bengals and Steelers in the 3rd quarter to the Jets and Redskins. The Bengals/Steelers game never came back. :nono2:

I just turned it off and waited until the Cards/Cowboys game started.

9. Dec 6, 2011 #9 of 11
    Unknown

Unknown Godfather

Oct 16, 2007
    If the game was a blowout, which it was in this case, they will switch you to a better and closer game. but for them to switch out, they have to be at least 18 points ahead and in the 3rd qtr. now in the case of FOX, they can only switch out of 1 game and it usally is the main early game or the main late game. And games that start at 4:05 pm are not switch out. only 4:15 games are mostly switch out. CBS can switch out of any game.

10. SPG900NY

SPG900NY AllStar

Aug 13, 2010
    Just curious if these and more "rules" are listed somewhere? Certainly is annoying when it happens, and it seems to happen quite often.

11. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    I'm a bit confused as to what you're saying here. Are you saying 1) the Steelers-Bengals game didn't come back on your local affiliate or 2) the previously blacked our NFLST channel never lifted the blackout to show the Steelers-Bengals game after the local CBS affiliate left the game? If the former, that makes perfect sense. They wouldn't leave a blow out only to come back to it later. If the later, I just don't get it. The blackout on the NFLST channel was lifted where I live and I got to finish watching the game on that channel. Are these blackouts only lifted for particular areas?