1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stan Musial Funeral Service Blacked Out

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by milton, Jan 26, 2013.

1. milton

milton Cool Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Another example of the ridiculous blackouts of baseball content on the Sports Pack. We've all heard about the blackouts of shows like Tigers Weekly on Fox Sports Detroit for those outside of Detroit because supposedly it has enough MLB content that they don't have the rights to broadcast it out of market.

Well today it reached another low. Fox Sports Midwest's coverage of the Stan Musial funeral service is blacked out for those outside the FSM region.

Is there any way that we can put an end to this ridiculousness?

2. skizer

skizer AllStar

May 16, 2004
    Was just coming to post this....totally stupid (although for the record, I heard it was blacked out on Dish as well).

3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Is the coverage available on MLB Network?

4. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    The Menu Guide is showing MLBN Remembers Stan Musial at 1pm today.

5. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    If they are using old clips from Stan Musial's career, then it's MLB's fault for wanting to charge FS Detroit the extra fees for broadcasting the MLB copyrighted material to the entire nation. IOW, it's all copyright issues and MLB holds the copyright.

6. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    It is being repeated Sunday at 10:30pm and Tuesday at 10:00pm on channel 671.

7. lacubs

lacubs Godfather

Sep 11, 2010
    most likely that will be blackout also, just guessing

8. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    That would suck.

9. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    mlb.tv sucks big time. I subbed last season ($129.95) just to watch the Braves. All season, I got to watch exactly ZERO, ZIP, NADA Braves games on mlb. What a ripoff! Bait and switch if I ever saw one. That terribly negative experience just about killed my interest for the game I used to love. :(

10. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    MLB.tv is out of market only for live. Archive games are available for all teams.

It is annoying, though, that you listen or watch your local team an they tout MLB.tv as a way to see every game your hometown team plays.

11. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    When did Stan Musial die?

12. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    January 19, 2013

13. swyman18

swyman18 Legend

Jan 12, 2009
    I don't think they tout it that way at all, there are enough warnings on the website about how you can watch out of market teams only.

14. swyman18

swyman18 Legend

Jan 12, 2009
    You live in Georgia, right? Can you just watch the Braves locally on TV?

It's not designed for people to be able to watch their home team.

15. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    I'm talking about game announcers. They never do the disclaimers.

16. swyman18

swyman18 Legend

Jan 12, 2009
    Oh yeah, true, I've noticed that as well. I cringe every time I hear it.

17. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Did for me too. The NEAREST stadium is 300+ miles from me, however, they black out not only that team, but 3 others that "claim" we are in their home territory. I got fed up and quit subscribing over 4 years ago. Now I just watch college games on a C/KU band system when available.

18. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    The Rays announcers definitely don't mention it as a way to see the Rays, only as a way to see "out-of-market games." I assume all the local announcers are using the same MLB-approved script for the actual plug -- although maybe some lead into it in a way that suggests it's a way to see the local team? (Or maybe people don't realize "out-of-market games" is not the same thing as "away games"?)

19. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Nope. I don't listen to/watch the Rays, so I can't say what they say but I have only once or twice heard an announcer mention that local games are blacked out. They will say something more like "see all your Cardinal games on MLB.tv" or something like that. Not a formal announcement, just a quick note during a game. Have heard the same on radio broadcasts all over the country via XM.

20. HGuardian

HGuardian Godfather

Aug 9, 2010
    I've also heard it advertised quite frequently as a way to watch the team you are currently watching. The most annoying ad I remember last year was during a Fox Saturday Baseball game the script advertised Extra Innings on DIRECTV as a way to see EVERY game. Sorry MLB, it doesn't matter where you live in the US, Extra Innings or not there is no way to see every game without violating your user agreements.