Stana Katic Leaving Castle

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Tom Robertson, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    If (and it is still if) Castle gets renewed, Stana Katic is not returning for season 9. Lanie, played by Tamala Jones, also is not returning. http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/castle-stana-katic-exit-season-9-1201755563/

ABC is apparently still deciding whether or not to renew a Beckett-less Castle. We'll likely find out soon.

Peace,
    Tom

2. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    The show has already been cancelled in my home, even before I had heard they weren't coming back. The show has been going downhill for a couple of seasons now.

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I like it but it will not be the same without her.
    Of course, maybe that is the idea is to give it a fresh setting and story lines or just go kaput.

4. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    The show is called "Castle" but it could just as easily be called "Beckett". Considering the whole show revolves around the relationship between those two characters I don't see it surviving her departure. I love Nathan Fillion, but no, I think I'm done w/out Stana Katic.

5. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    We've all seen shows renew or die with replacements such as this. While I'm sad to see Beckett go, I'm hopeful the writers and producers find a fun way to continue the show; albeit it may only be a partial season.

Peace,
    Tom

6. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I've still been enjoying it, but 8 years is a great run! Go out on a high note.

7. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I like her... and I mostly like the show, though I liked it more earlier on... but the show is called "Castle" and it was created primarily as a vehicle for Nathan Fillian's character... though they clearly invested a lot into the Castle/Beckett relationship over the years.

BUT... the show can survive the loss of any character except Castle. Will it? I don't know... but as long as Castle/Nathan is on, it could be done. I say that not to minimize anyone else on the show.

Heck, there was a time when Andy Griffith (yes I'm dating myself here) left the Andy Griffith show... they retooled it as "Mayberry, RFD" and kept it going. Not as long OR as good as what it was... but that's a show that lost its main character and continued AFTER already having lost its primary 2nd banana in Don Knotts years earlier than that... and not counting spinning off Jim Nabors' "Gomer Pyle" character as well.

So, basically, shows can go on IF they have strong ideas behind them and good writers able to pull it off.

All that said... I also would be okay if the show ended, because it has had a long, strong run.

1 person likes this.
  8. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    Guess this probably also explains why they've brought on the new female character this season, Hayley I think it is. If they bring the show back they have that character ready to step into the main role opposite Castle that Beckett will be vacating.

9. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    This almost certainly means the show will not return.

10. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I think you are right. tsmarco sort of summed it up; I think most of us are done without SK in the cast. We don't just loose her (and the other cute girl), we loose that relationship, which is central. Loose that, and they've gutted the show. So, it's now gutted.

The show was not doing that well. The first clue was when they started moving commercial minutes out of that hour and into the show preceding it, meaning they were able to sell that slot for more in a different show. Rumors of it not being renewed were swirling well before SK's exit.

But it is a show in my all-time top 5. And while I love the actors, the real meat of this show is the writing. It is always great and the plots are always complex and interesting.

For that reason, I think the best thing that could happen would be a cancellation, so that those great writers could reincarnate themselves behind another great show. Take that guy who does the production music along with you, he's brilliant as well.

They could relaunch Castle, but odds are not good for that to be much. There was a moment when they moved away from the police procedural a bit and went more towards Richard Castle as a PI, which I thought was brilliant. That would be a direction I would be in favor of. Now if the wonderful Nathan Fillion, who has just killed in every show he's appeared in, would just LEARN HOW TO ENUNCIATE AND PROJECT AND STOP MUTTERING UNDER HIS BREATH. I can't watch this show without CC on.

It would be interesting to see if they recycle the copshop set into yet another show (same set from Women's Murder Club, which went away just as Castle appeared)

11. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    I agree, it's been a great show, and it would ruin it to go on without Beckett. I don't think we'll have to worry about that.

12. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Yep. Shark was jumped when Castle "disappeared".

Have this season sitting on the DVR and haven't felt compelled to watch it. Maybe this summer when we have free time.

Did they ever green light the Derek Storm series?

13. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Hah, if the season where he "disappeared" bothered you then you'll hate the current season.

14. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    I feel that 'jumped the shark' is a term used too loosely. If the show went south, then it jumped the shark. But if you simply grew tired of it or outgrew the need for it, then maybe the show is still just fine for everyone else. That is something completely different. Maybe it only jumped 'your' shark, which does not really fit the definition, according to the originator of that website, Jon Hein.

Of course if ratings plummet, it probably jumped the shark. As much as I like it, it is aging. It is hard to top yourself 22 times a year for 7 or 8 years, and find a fresh take. The 10-12 ep arc philosophy has a lot going for it. Castle is a dinosaur among other 22-ep dinosaurs. Still a great dinosaur, but still doomed for extinction in the not too distant future, along with the 22-ep linear network paradigm.

15. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    For me a show jumps the shark when it does something outlandish to try to get its ratings back. Like Fonzie actually jumping a shark.

Had Castle simply been kidnapped in the season finale as a cliffhanger, that's fine. But to keep the very unplausible story going over a few episodes to me is jumping the shark.

16. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    That's exactly what the phrase means and where it came from. "Jumping the shark" has nothing to do with the show going south. Shows go south all the time but most don't put in the effort to change the show in hopes of getting viewers back. If it just goes south it's not jumping the shark.

17. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    Again, you said it. It must be true. The man who created the phrase and sold he website for $4 million must not have any idea what it means.

18. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_shark

Herdfan was correct... The phrase came from the scene where Fonzie jumped the shark and represents "to describe the moment in the evolution of a television show when it begins a decline in quality, signaled by a particular scene, episode, or aspect of a show in which the writers use some type of gimmick in an attempt to keep viewers' interest,"

Not just when a show "goes south" as you stated.

1 person likes this.
  19. TomCat

Aug 31, 2002
    That is still an opinion call. There is no way to know when a show 'goes south' or when a show 'declines in quality' or even when something is obviously a gimmick or not. Any of those would only be someone's opinion, and would be opinions with likely little basis in evidence, or even in reality. The only guy who really knows if something is a gimmick instead of bold and clever writing is, guess who, the writer himself. And guess what his opinion on that will be? Some will agree with him, some will not. Opinion.

The only metrics that are really defined are ratings, and cancellation vs renewing. Everything else is useless hogwash. But you are in luck; there are plenty of websites devoted to nothing but useless hogwash (including one that sold for $4 million), and you can pick and chose among them to your heart's content. Knock yourself out.

20. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    That is basically the position Castle is in. Not losing the title character but losing a major character that held the show together. The show lived on without Don Knotts, perhaps Castle will too.

The whole concept of "jumping the shark" was built around a moment that the writers thought was clever but the public view as being an unacceptable turn in the show. It isn't the writer's opinion that matters - it is the pubic consensus. While knowing the intent of the writers isn't known unless they make a public statement ("we intended it to be a gimmick") "jumping the shark" involves something that was perceived as a gimmick. Whether or not it was intended to be a gimmick.

2 people like this.