1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Standard Install Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by patg25, Sep 28, 2009.

1. patg25

patg25 AllStar

Nov 12, 2006
    Going back to D* after a 3 year absence (I moved and cable was just easier). I plan on getting 6 receivers (2 HD DVRs, 1 HD Receiver, 1 SD DVR and 2 SD Receivers). I had a couple of questions:

The “standard” install includes 4 TVs, but I am going to hook up 6 receivers. Do I have to pay the installer extra? I am perfectly capable of hooking up the receivers myself, hooking up a splitter, or anything else. I did it in my last house. But I do want to make sure that all the cables come into the house from the receiver.

One of the SD Receivers is going to drive 3 TVs. They are hardly being watched part time as it is. The receiver is going to go into the basement (2 TVs located in the basement), and I’ll split the output of the signal 3 ways. Then I plan on getting 2 RF remotes. What is the effective range of those remotes; I never used them before. Can I use the remote from the bedroom on the second floor, opposite end of the house to change channels on the receiver in the basement?

Thanks!!

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Generally the cost of installation is $50 for each additional receiver over the initial 4. If they're smart, they'll use an SWM install for you to keep from running a lot of extra cable runs to your receivers.

Remember the standard installation is also just to run cables directly to the dishes in the easiest manner, which is generally through the outside wall of the rooms the dishes are in. If you currently have cable coming from a central room in your house to all the rooms and those cables are not split along the way, you should be able to have them run the cables from the dish to that central location and then hookup to the cable runs to the rooms.

I'm not completely familiar with the Dx line of receivers, but you should be able to so. I believe all the outputs on the receiver are always active, so you can run S-Video, Composite, and Coax all at the same time. At worst, you would need an RF modulator to do so. As for the RF remotes, you should be fine using them just about anywhere in the house.

- Merg

3. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    The SMB LNB won't work for the OP as he has a total of 9 tuners listed (of course, one DVR could be restricted to single tuner use). Assuming that the SD receivers are SWM capable, aren't they all now?

4. patg25

patg25 AllStar

Nov 12, 2006
    I want to have 6 tuners total. The output of one of the SD Receiver is going to be split 3 ways. The same receiver is going to be controlled by 3 RF remotes. These TVs are hardly used, but I do want them to be connected in case they are. How many wires come from the SMB into the house?

5. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I just can't add...

2 HD-DVR's = 2x2 = 4
    1 HD = 1
    1 SD-DVR = 2
    2 SD = 2

This is 9. Or are you just getting one SD receiver?

- Merg

6. patg25

patg25 AllStar

Nov 12, 2006
    Yes, 9 tuners. Sorry, I was wrong. I meant 6 receivers for a total of 9 tuners. :sure: In any case, thanks for the advise. A max of 9 total tuners is not going to cut it if I ever want to add another TV. So an SWM isn't going to work for me.

7. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    9 tuners will automatically disqualify a SWM setup, and that number is always going to be based on all tuners being used. To get a SWM, the OP would have to delete the basic receiver from his order, then order it after the initial install, and then restrict one of the DVRs to a single tuner (or, my recommendation, which would be to buy a basic 18" dish and run the basic receiver from that).

DirecTV will charge for install for receivers beyond 4. The installer will charge to mirror the output of one receiver to multiple rooms (unless the cables are already run and the splitter is there).

SD receivers do NOT support RF remotes, so the OP would need to purchase a 3rd-party solution.

8. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    So the R1x receivers do and the D1x receivers do not, huh? I wasn't aware of that. As I stated in my initial post, I wasn't positive on the D1x receivers capabilities.

- Merg

9. patg25

patg25 AllStar

Nov 12, 2006
    If I put the order through what kind of dish would the installer show up with, just a regular slimline dish? I can have them do the 4 room setup and then do the rest myself, but I do want to avoid crawling on the roof or side of the house and running two more cables into the house. But I probably just buy a powered multiswitch and hook up the rooms to that.

The SD receiver does NOT support RF remotes? :mad: I thought all the D* receiver support RF remotes. If not, what solution is available through a 3rd party?

10. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    SD-DVRs support (but do not include) RF remotes. The RF remote kit is available separately. SD receivers do not support RF remotes at all.

There are a number of 3rd-party IR extenders available, up to and including custom wired solutions. As a rule, the more you spend, the more reliable a system you get, and the more flexible you can be with your setup.

11. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    With the receivers on your order, you'll get a standard Slimline, legacy LNB, 2 6x8 switches, and 4 2-way splitters to feed the switches.

The installer will be required to have everything working on the day of the install, so if you plan to do any of the work, you need to have it done beforehand. If all the work can't be completed, the installer will have to reschedule you. That's because the installer is responsible for ALL receivers that you order being connected and working, and can be charged back if he doesn't have it all working.

You can do the mirrors after-the-fact, but the main TVs have to be connected and working.

12. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    If you order fewer than your total on the original install, the install will only include the necessary wiring and multiswitch(es) to support what is on the original install. If you later add additional receivers yourself, you are responsible for all necessary wiring and equipment.

Further, if you order between 5 and 8 tuners on the original install, you will almost certainly get an SWM LNB assembly which cannot be further expanded. So you would never be able to grow to the 9 tuner amount you desire as the end result.

Your best bet is to order everything you want initially and pay the additional costs involved. You might want to consider all HD equipment because you will have HD on your account. That way if you ever upgrade one of the SD TV's, you will already have the necessary receiver to support it.

As to feeding multiple TV's from one receiver (or DVR), on the SD series products have a modulated rf output (channel 3/4). You will have to get an external rf modulator for use with any HD receiver or DVR.

13. patg25

patg25 AllStar

Nov 12, 2006
    Thanks for the advise!! I will put the order through with the equipment I really want. I am going to change one SD Receiver to an SD DVR. It will drive 3-4 TVs for now that are hardly every used. I don't see paying a $5 month mirroring charge for them.