Stanley Cup Question .. for fun

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by Sharkie_Fan, May 2, 2008.

1. May 2, 2008 #1 of 15
    Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    So I'll preface this by saying I know that this is a pretty unrealistic idea. "Unofficially", I'm pulling for a Red Wings / Penguins Cup final. "Officially", the Sharks are still alive, so I'm still on the bandwagon.

That got me to thinking.... The Sharks BARELY snuck by a Calgary team that wasn't nearly as talented as we are. Next, they went down 3-0 to the Dallas Stars, before winning game 4. Our goaltending has been mediocre at times. Our PK is downright pathetic. We're getting beat to pucks, we're getting knocked off pucks by smaller players. We're giving pucks away right to the stick of the other team, can't clear our own zone.... etc. If you've watched a Sharks game, you know how bad they've played the first 11 game.

HOWEVER. This is the same team that went on a tear in February/March. I've only been watching hockey since the Sharks came into the league, but it was the best month and a half that I've seen a team have in the time I've been watching. They were lights out for a while there.

SO. IF the Sharks somehow come back to beat the Stars, and then drum the Red Wings (sorry Tfederov), and then bring home the Cup. (I know, I know, it's a dream scenario)

Does this go down as one of the greatest playoff performances ever - coming back every time their backs were against the wall. OR, does this team go down as the worst Stanley Cup Winner ever.

Just wondering if they could pull off some dramatic miracle comeback, how does history (and the rest of you fans around the league) look at this team.

I'm so down on them right now, I'd put them in the worst winner ever category... Though, being a fan, I'm sure as time goes on they'll be the greatest playoff team ever. :D

I know it's longer than a long shot, but I was just curious.

2. May 2, 2008 #2 of 15
    Wrister17

Wrister17 AllStar

Jul 23, 2007

I would put them into one of the "greatest playoff runs in history" category. Only 2 teams have ever come back from a 3-0 deficit, so pulling off that would be a feat in itself. The NHL has so much parity that its not that uncommon for a #7 or #8 seed to win at least one round, so I would not diminish the sharks' value just because calgary took them to 7 games. Calgary was a #7 seed when they went all the way to the finals and lost in game 7 to Tampa Bay. I am pi$$ed that the sharks "stole" Brian Campbell. :)

I would like to see a Dallas(my wife is from there)/Pitts finals myself.

3. May 2, 2008 #3 of 15
    nerfjames

nerfjames Cool Member

Sep 20, 2007
    my Stars will make sure this question doesn't plague you beyond tonight.

GO STARS!

4. May 2, 2008 #4 of 15
    Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    I think the Sharks will win game 5, but lose game 6.

I think Dallas is just playing too well right now for us to win 4 in a row against them to take the series. Turco is playing really well right now. In the past, he would get rattled from time to time, especially when bounces didn't go his way. It seems this year that he's not having that trouble. He's been steady and solid, win or lose, for the Stars.

5. May 2, 2008 #5 of 15
    tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005

I think winning the President's Cup and then the Stanley Cup is the greatest comeback ever. That President's Cup is the kiss of death usually!

By the way, the Sharks could NEVER drum the Red Wings. ;)

6. May 2, 2008 #6 of 15
    Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    I thought that would get a rise out of you! :lol:

I thought Colorado was a pretty good team going into this series, and your Red Wings made them look like a bad AHL team!

We won't drum you after we beat the Stars.... we'll eek by in 6! :D

7. May 2, 2008 #7 of 15
    nerfjames

nerfjames Cool Member

Sep 20, 2007
    Turco loves the Shark Tank. I expect the Stars to show game 7 mentality tonight and end it.

So long as Zubov doesn't give Marleau yet another breakaway, I think it we got it.

Nabby has been playing better the last couple games, but I think the Stars scoring depth shines tonight. Look for Eriksson/Lundqvist/ or maybe even Ott to factor tonight.

(yeah yeah, I know you SJ fans love to hate Ott)

-nerf

8. May 2, 2008 #8 of 15
    MN Sportsfan

MN Sportsfan AllStar

May 1, 2008
    Calgary was actually a #6 seed when they went to the cup finals in 2004. I remember they had a chance to win game 6 and the Cup in OT but the officials waived off a Flames goal in OT. I think Sutter agreed with the call though if I'm not mistaken.

9. May 3, 2008 #9 of 15
    tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Sharks live to fight another day. It's gonna be an interesting Sunday.

10. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    And I have somewhere to be tomorrow night! NOOOO!

Gotta figure out if I can slingbox on my wife's palm pilot (there's wifi where we'll be!).

Maybe if we're lucky they've got cable and we can turn on the game in a corner of the room!

I'm not optimistic for tomorrow. I think that The odds are in Dallas favor for tomorrow.

HOWEVER. I also think that IF we can pull out a victory tomorrow evening, we'll also win game 7 at home.

Interestingly enough... twice teams have come down from 3-0 to win a series. The first two happened 33 years apart - 1942 and 1975. 2008 is 33 years since the last, so I think the league is due for another epic comeback! :D

I'd love to see the Sharks pull it out and get a SJ-DET series for the conference finals.

I also think, maybe, just maybe, by winning game 5, the Sharks saved Ron Wilson's job. Going into game 4, I was sure that Ron would be fired. The way they've come back the last two games, maybe not. If they can win this series, I think they've secured at least another go for Ron Wilson & the rest of the coaching staff.

11. Koz

Koz Icon

Sep 16, 2006
    Well, it was a long game, but a good goal. Many thanks to the Sharks for tiring out the Stars for the Red Wings.

Go Wings!

12. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    What a game! What a series this turned out to be, after starting out looking like it would be a real stinker!

Congrats to the Stars. The Sharks outplayed them for pretty good stretches throughout the series, and yet every little mistake the Sharks made, ended up in the back of their net! Bend but dont break, as they say. Dallas certainly did both!

Thought it was pretty cool, too - after the game ended, and after the teams shook hands, the fans in Dallas that were still there (it is, after all, 1:30 there already!) were lining the walkway to the Sharks dressing room, and they all had kind words, a hand shake, or a high five for Jeremy Roenick, as did the security guard standing in the aisle.

I'm hoping to see JR in a Sharks uniform for one more year - he gave the team alot more than they could have hoped for. I think the last few games, the Sharks have maybe, just maybe, learned how to play playoff hockey. Too little, too late for this year... but this series could prove to be a big one for the Sharks future.

Congrats again to the Stars... I guess now we'll never know if the Sharks would have gone down as a bad stanley cup winner or a great one for overcoming a 3-0 defecit.... :)

13. packfan909

packfan909 Icon

Oct 6, 2006
    If the Sharks can just get that winning stretch to happen a month later next year we will be set.

I hope JR will return. If Chelios can keep finding more in the tank, I am sure he has it in him. This team will eventually get to the big dance. Just seeing the endurance on Sunday gives me hope.

I am actually pulling for the Stars now. Keep the cup out west! Sunday night was an awesome game. Most exciting hockey game I have ever watched. Reminds me of why I love this sport so much.

pf

14. nerfjames

nerfjames Cool Member

Sep 20, 2007
    I was wrong with my Game 5 prediction, but got the win in game 6(+1)!

Sharks made quite the series of it.

Great Game, Go Stars!

15. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    Unfortunately, I was correct with my game 6 prediction (or game 8).

You just can't wait until game 4 to start playing. The teams in the playoffs are too good for that.

We made a series out of it, and I'm really encouraged by the way they ended up playing the last 3 games.

I think that expecting a cup this year might have been putting the bar a little high for this team. They need another stud, veteran defenseman who can play a little better in the offensive zone. Maybe a winger who can put the puck in the net alongside Joe Thornton (or, we need Cheechoo to return to his goal scoring form of 2 years ago).

After game 3 of the series I thought Ron Wilson should be shown the door. AFter game 6, I think maybe he deserves one more shot. Give him another couple of pieces and see if he can make it work. If not, show him the door next year.

He showed in games 4-6 that he can get a team prepared to win. They've just got to figure out how to do that on a night and and night out basis, which is something that has eluded them up to this point.