Stargate Atlantis Cancelled

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by It's Poo!, Aug 21, 2008.

1. It's Poo!

It's Poo! Cool Member

Sep 21, 2007
    Courtesy of Gateworld.net

The SCI FI Channel is ending Stargate Atlantis after five seasons, Multichannel News reports.

The show will go on, though, with a 2-hour movie that will air on SCI FI in 2009, and be released on DVD by MGM. The film will be written by executive producers Joseph Mallozzi and Paul Mullie.

It's intended to be the first of an on-going series of Atlantis movies, according to the report. Stargate SG-1 has released two very successful movies direct-to-DVD this year (Stargate: The Ark of Truth and Stargate: Continuum), though neither has aired on U.S. television yet.

"The show will live on as a network franchise," the report also says. This could indicate that future Atlantis movies are a lock for SCI FI, or it may be a general statement about the cable network's commitment to the Stargate franchise.

Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper, who created and executive produced Atlantis, pitched a third television series in the 11-year-old TV franchise to the network last year (story). While SCI FI has not yet announced a green light for that show, the end of Atlantis may clear the way -- the dollars available for original programming, that is -- for the next series.

Though Stargate Atlantis has been a solid ratings performer for SCI FI -- and was its highest-rated original program ever when it premiered in July 2004 -- in recent years series like Eureka have supplanted it in the "Live" ratings.

Atlantis remains an extremely strong performer in DVR-delayed viewing, though, often building as much as 25 to 30 percent on its premiere night audience.

Season Five will go out on a cliffhanger, with "Enemy At the Gate" expected to premiere in January. Expect the first Atlantis movie to wrap up that hanging storyline.

2. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    BOO!! HISS!!!:mad: :mad:

3. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Damn! I really like this show. I guess after 11+ years the Sci-Fi channel will finally become totally useless to me. Boo!!!

(No, I'm not a big fan of BG)

4. It's Poo!

It's Poo! Cool Member

Sep 21, 2007
    BSG is ending this season as well. I guess wrestling wins out.

SciFi just went to s*it in my book.

5. allargon

allargon Legend

May 2, 2007
    I'm sad that a show that many like is cancelled. IMHO, it should've never been reviewed after the 2nd season. It jumped the shark for me awhile back.

With BSG ending, SciFi will likely be leaning more towards the BBC shows. Unfortunately, the only one in HD that would serve their niche is "Torchwood". BBC America has the HD rights to that for season 3.

6. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    After the demise of SGA only Eureka remains for me.

7. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    Reviewed or Renewed?
    At what point do you think it jumped the shark? Just curious.

8. allargon

allargon Legend

May 2, 2007
    I meant renewed. Thanks for catching that. Honestly, it jumped the shark before they even left the water planet. I was being generous when I said second season. I think I stopped watching it in the middle of the 2nd season after they made temporary peace with the Genai, blah... Crap... I can't remember. Aah... when they started having episodes where one character gets hurt and lays there the entire episode. I saw that happen on more than one occasion. I just shook my head and deleted the episodes from my DVR. I tried to get back into it this season. I deleted the episodes and erased the timer.

9. Jon D

Jon D Godfather

Oct 12, 2006
    Sounds to me like they really wanted to do the new Stargate show and were basically told they could do one or the other. I'm guessing they believe that they are better off going with the new show. They are probably right. As good and popular as Atlantis is, it's never come close to SG1. It's probably a better move to end Atlantis and start anew with something different.

The problem with Atlantis is the wraith are at bay, the replicators are destroyed. again. The origins of the ancients aren't much of a mystery anymore. The only option is an unbelievable resurge in a previous threat or a new threat like the Ori, which I think was a mistake with SG1.

I personally think SciFi ought to do a series based on the Wing Commander games. I know the movie flopped, but if done right I think it could be a great series.

10. It's Poo!

It's Poo! Cool Member

Sep 21, 2007
    Raise your hand if you think the funding for Sanctuary killed SGA?

I will never watch that show.

Maybe SGA should get a sponsoring agreement like Eureka did with Degree? How about Dell? You see so much Dell tech on Atlantis during every episode. Just hand a sign above the Stargate that says "Powered by Dell" or "Dude, Your getting A Dell" or some corny s*it like that.

What would make for a good product placement on SGA? Any thought?

11. Kurgan

Kurgan AllStar

Oct 10, 2007
    Not much left that I'm interested in on Sci-Fi, except Eureka.

I really dislike a lot of the cheap and cheesy sci-fi (mostly the movies) that they have on most of the time.

I always looked forward to Friday nights on Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi was one of my favorite channels while Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, and Battlestar Galactica were on the Friday night line-up. Now all three will be gone soon (SG-1 already being gone). They keep replacing them with less-than-stellar TV shows. I'm not a big fan of the Doctor Who series. I got hooked on Odyssey 5 while it was re-airing for a few weeks -- even though they didn't even air the entire season. I had never seen Odyssey 5 before -- it was great! I would be excited if that show was brought back for new episodes. Charlie Jade was interesting but didn't really do it for me, either.

Re-runs of X-Files, Stargate, Star Trek, Jericho, etc. are great and should continue. But there's an apparent lack of quality new and fresh science fiction series on television. A few of the good ones are making it to the big networks on primetime (e.g. Heroes) at least. Cancelling one of the last few good sci-fi shows is just sad news.

12. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    I will always give a new show a chance. Ya never know, It might be the new SG1.

13. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Bummer, but I'm probably ready to move on after this year as well ..

14. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Frankly, I think 5 seasons was enough 1-hour episodes for Stargate Atlantis. What will come of the frequently mentioned new series referred to in the rumor mill as Stargate Universe remains to be seen. I'm hoping they aren't going to rely on the Dr. Who mill for content forever. The fact that NBCU has just purchased Britain's Carnival Film & Television has given them access to a library that includes some SciFi channel type mini-series and programs.

I still don't understand why Charlie Jade, an intense truly science fiction South African show never seen in the U.S., was moved from SciFriday to the middle of the night-morning on Monday-Tuesday and replaced with Joan of Arcadia reruns.

15. Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411 Icon

Aug 26, 2007
    I still haven't watched all of last season but I never liked Atlantis as much as SG1. Still this is a string of good shows that SciFi kills then runs crappy B movies on Saturdays. I am still mad that Farscape was axed years ago.

16. Charise

Charise AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2004
    True for me too, Galaxie.

I really like Eureka and will watch as long as its on, but I hate that The Dresden Files was cancelled!

17. RobertE

RobertE Active Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Surprised no one has said it yet.

BURN IN HELL SCI-FI!!! :mad:

18. Smthkd

Smthkd Icon

Sep 1, 2004
    WTF:mad:

This was my favorite show!!! What a LOSS!!!:nono2:

19. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    I second that comment, even though with a DVR it is not that big of a deal. I just watch it Tuesday night instead of Friday night.

With the end of Stargate and knowing Charlie Jade is a limited run (about 20 episodes I think) my time on SciFi is really going to go down. I am trying to get into Eureka but it hasn't happened yet.

20. rustynails

rustynails Godfather

Apr 24, 2008
    I liked Eurika last year but am having trouble getting into it this time around. I do like Atlantis and SG1 was the best. If Atlantis goes away there won't be much for me to watch on SCIFI. I really hate those ghost stories and the repeats of old series. I was so glad when SCIFI went hd but have little reason to watch it now.