1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stargate: Universe 10/16/2009

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Doug Brott, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Did we lose everyone after this episode?

They found a way to introduce the characters quickly by having them "record" a short message about them on the Kino. I would have liked to have seen the story wrapped up this week, but I guess we get to wait at least one week longer.

2. cdc101

cdc101 Godfather

Jan 8, 2007
    I'm still hanging on because it's Stargate, but it was a tough one.

3. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Actually, we enjoyed this week's show. My wife declared she likes this show. When she says that it means a show appears to be successfully creating three dimensional characters. Perhaps this is why Syfy is broadening its audience.

The trick is to balance the episodes. Obviously next week is going to start with tense action.

I and many others are waiting to see if the show will continue to have ratings above 2 million live+SD viewers. And it will be interesting see what the generally worthless 3 and 7 day DVR numbers are.

4. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    They will have to start gating at some point .. Right now they're just feeling out the ship and making it "work" .. Nice to see that the Ancients thought of things like picnic tables :)

5. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I liked it, but I'm kind of getting tired of the Lou Diamond Phillips character.

Doug - did you mean for this thread title to use a date of 10/9? The recording of short messages was in the 10/16 episode...

6. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    I tried to watch it, i really did. It's just bad, really bad. Honestly.

Again from a HUGE Stargate fan and I'll watch just about anything that is Sci-Fi.

7. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    !rolling

I didn't even think about that. I suppose there are more such things. Oh well.

8. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I was leary of him before it even started. I do not like his acting.

I like the slow build up of the show. Gonna be few years, no sense in shooting all the plots at once.
    I have seen a few ridiculous out of place set items including the park bench in the viewing room and the mentioned picnic table. Atlantis had the advantage of other civilizations to borrow the "human items" from.

9. olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    I'm not sure it's the character I'm not liking or LDP's over-acting. But somethings gotta go :lol:

But I really enjoy the rest of the show when LDP isn't on screen.

10. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    According to IMDb Lou Diamond Phillips is not in most of the remainder 20 episodes this season. He may disappear soon.

11. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    No argument from me here ... I posted a while ago in another thread that I was not a LDP fan, so I would not be unhappy to have him disappear from the show.

From the Atlantis Replicator episodes, and from other historical artifacts and narratives and logs discovered by various Stargate teams, we know that before they ascended the Ancients were of humanoid form. I'm don't think it's unreasonable that they would have tables and benches... and given that they had showers, I would imagine even toilets as well.

12. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I consciously avoided that topic, but now that it is on the table...

Do you think they just mist that away as well? After watching the shower episode it brought me back to an old male bidet patent idea I had years ago.
    Butt I digress.

13. cdc101

cdc101 Godfather

Jan 8, 2007
    I thought they used the 3 sea shells. :grin:

14. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Now there is no need to jinx a new show with a memory of a crappy movie is there?

15. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Fixed

16. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Also, Atlantis had the ability to get things from earth .. yeah, it took a few weeks, but it wasn't as far out of the realm.

I'm sure there are a few other "Earth" items that will show up :) I can ignore those, but it's fun to find them ...

17. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I guess we can call this the new SGU find a terrestrial item game. Please post it here.:lol:

18. Wire Paladin

Wire Paladin Legend

Sep 19, 2006
    I guess this isn't your father's Stargate. While they are building up the show slowly, I do find it refreshing. I still haven't decided if I like the show, but I'm still watching.

One of the few complaints I had with the other 2 Staragate series was how the episode's problem (Atlantis under attack, Stargate Command under attack) was resolved quickly in the final 5 minutes of the show. That got old real quick. Sam repairs critical Alien technology, McKay repairs unknown Alien technology. It's Miller time.

Basically while the new show has some parts of Stargate, it's more like the SciFi BSG in that it's a show about survivial and so far it's very dark. In a way it reminds me of DS9. That show was consided somewhat darker that the first 2 treks.

I just hope they don't make Eli into a Wesley Crusher! :D

19. MoInSTL

MoInSTL Legend

Mar 29, 2006
    Wire Paladin, I can see why you thought of BSG (e.g. survival) but there is no comparison IMO. I loved BSG except for the cheesy ending.

Also a Stargate fan, but the jury is still out. Seems like yet another Lost In Space plot line with another bookend like ST Voyager lost in the Delta quadrant. :(

20. jkane

jkane Icon

Oct 12, 2007
    Too mushy! They could have cut out all the boring human crap or made it shorter. This could have been a 30 minute episode and it would have covered the same amount of story line.

As for the toilets. They said that once they get the recycling working, the water problem will be less of an issue. So there was a brief conversation to explain the use of toilets. No scenes of where they are, but then again, no SG has explained that side of the story!

Of course the ancients had picnic tables! Who do you think taught humans how to make them? :p