Start & end times way off

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by BillyBob_jcv, Aug 28, 2009.

1. BillyBob_jcv

BillyBob_jcv Legend

Feb 11, 2006
    Does anyone else have occasional problems with the actual start times of shows being 5 or 6 minutes later than the guide, and then the show is being cut-off before it ends? It doesn't happen all the time - only on some shows, and even then it doesn't happen consistently for those shows. The most common places I see it are X-Files on SyFy HD (it follows Lost) and also on Futurama on Comedy HD. I will get one day where they are fine, then the next day the actual start time for one of the shows is late and I get 5 or 6 minutes of the previous show. I don't want to just increase the end pad, because sometimes I want to record a show on a different channel that immediately follows X-Files or Futurama, and I don't want to create a potential conflict. And yes, I checked the DVR clock and it is fine.

2. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Comedy Central is not even close to the hour and half hour start times. It is not your DVR--it is the stupidity of their network programmers for not updating their guide data accurately.

Alas, I've had to increase my padding. It's the only way to get the entire episodes these days. :(

Cheers,
    Tom

3. Oilfan

Oilfan Godfather

Jul 18, 2004
    Your problem on SyFy is Tuesday, they air ECW Wrestling which has a overrun of 5 mins more weeks. I PVR LOST on SyFy and have the overrun issue with LOST ... only on Tuesdays.

4. jurples

jurples Mentor

Jan 11, 2008
    we had this problem with impromptu on mgm the other day. it was set to start at 2:50. since i wasn't watching anything, i flipped it over to the channel at 2:48. the movie was already well into the credits! :eek2:

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I agree with Tom. Comedy Central is routinely off by 4-5 minutes when I watch.

6. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    ESPN is really bad too.

7. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I've about had it with SyFy showing this rubbish anyway. Wrestling has absolutely no business on a channel that is supposed to be dedicated to science fiction fare. Rebranded or not. But it routinely hoses every recording of Warehouse 13. I've got it padded at 5 minutes, but I'm still starting to miss a minute at the end even with the 5 minute padding.
    :nono2:

8. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    And my local news seems to start 1 to 2 minutes early.

9. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    The showing before wrestling is always fine for me -- of course, I realize you may have more conflicts at 9:00 Eastern than I do at 6:00 Pacific.

Comedy Central used to be fine on their start/end times -- it's just within the past couple of weeks that "The Daily Show" and "The Colbert Report" have been messed up (it's looked to me like they've added more commercial time to both shows).

10. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    ESPN is usally off due to live events running long.

11. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Here in LA the CBS Evening News starts about two minutes early Monday through Friday except when there's breaking news and the network does a West Coast edition. I sometimes record the show and have to set it to start two minutes early.

12. tduffney

tduffney AllStar

Oct 30, 2007
    Childrens channels have the same problem, especially the shows thats are less than a half hr......

13. mhayes70

mhayes70 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    and TVLand is usually about 10 mins off in the evenings. :mad:

I wish these TV stations would get there act together and keep there programs correct with the guide data.

14. oldbamaguy

oldbamaguy Legend

Jun 1, 2009
    Since football games frequently run over the allotted time, I have taken to extending the "cutoff time" by 30 minutes to solve the problem.
    Best Wishes to ALL!!
    oldbamaguy

15. BillyBob_jcv

BillyBob_jcv Legend

Feb 11, 2006
    Why can't they put some sort of markers in the data stream to indicate when a show officially "ends"? That would at least keep the show from being cut-off if there's no pending conflict on the to-do list. Basing it purely on time shown in the Guide plus a fixed pad seems less reliable than it could be. Shouldn't there be a key in the data stream that links the show being broadcast to a specific entry in the Guide? If I hit the info button during the overrun, it shouldn't give information based on the time, it should give information based on the show actually being broadcast.

16. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I record "NFL Live" every day it's a 30 minute show but I record an hour because "Baseball Tonight" runs over every day, even with no live events on in the AM. If a game runs late I wouldn't mind.

17. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    If the broadcasters won't take the time to keep the static guide data up to date, would they really take the time to correctly update dynamic end of show data?

What if they never sent the end of show? Would you want the DVR to keep recording endlessly? Even if they sent the end of show, what if they waited until after a few commercials and it interferred with other shows?