1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting to Hate DirecTV OnDemand

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by HelloKittyJen, Mar 29, 2010.

1. HelloKittyJen

HelloKittyJen New Member

Mar 29, 2010
    I have an HR-21 connected to the internet using 2 powerline adapters from DirecTV. I have Quest DSL internet with a 2Wire modem. I watched Showtime OnDemand all day yesterday with no problems. Faster than 1:1. Today I went to finish the series I was working on it's been 1 hour and I am only 34% done downloading a half hour show. I've been trying things all day. Unplugged everything, reset HR 21, disconnected all other internet devices. Still having a problem. I've had the OnDemand service for a while but have only recently started using it. I was so excited about it yesterday and it worked so great that I decided it was time to replace my aging DirecTV/TiVo from 2004 in the bedroom. I ordered a new HR-24 and another powerline adapter, knowing my luck they will announce the release of the new DirecTV/Tivo tomorrow. I can't figure out what the issue could be. Also on the other downloads the download bar in my list was green now it's red and moving slow.

2. dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt Under Suspicion

Dec 6, 2008
    Anaheim, CA
    DOD downloads may be affected by other network traffic. You have a 2Wire Modem, so I'm assuming you have WiFi. Is your network secured (it should require a password to connect wirelessly) If not, you may have neighbors leeching your bandwidth and affecting downloads.

Barring that, day-to-day internet speeds may vary. Have you noticed slower speeds in general, or just on the DVR?

3. SWORDFISH

SWORDFISH Legend

Apr 16, 2007
    Check the speed of you connection, you may have a broadband problem that is unrelated to DirecTv. http://www.speedtest.net/

SF

4. gphvid

gphvid Godfather

Jun 19, 2007
    Thousand...
    My network is run through a Belkin wireless router with a Verizon DSL modem. Usually, things run real smoothly including VOD stuff, but sometimes, the DSL downloads get slow which I attribute to network traffic or network updates by the provider. Sometimes, the DSL loses connection to the internet completely, which is usually late evening or sometimes overnight. But I haven't worried about that as eventually, my downloads complete. The key is to set it up and then do something else or go to bed. There is nothing you can do if the internet provider takes your line offline for maintenance or something else temporarily, or the network traffic increases for reasons out of your control. It's the joy of DSL. Just be patient.

5. Thaedron

Thaedron Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    I don't have one, but from everything I've read on the HR24, you should be happy.

As for your on-Demand issues. There are a lot of things that could be the issue. As suggested, a speed test will be helpful. Ideally this would be done with little or no other internet activity at the time.

If that gives you a good result. Then you would need to look at other probable causes. The problem with the Internet and your ISP connection is that a problem may come and go, seemingly without any direct cause (at least from your vantage point).

6. drewba

drewba Cool Member

Sep 18, 2007
    I occasionally used on demand via the DirecTV powerline adapters over the course of a year. Initially, everything seemed to work pretty well; SD programs would turn green within a couple of minutes. However, I noticed over the winter that downloads were much slower and the Xbox 360 that shared the powerline adapters was having issues streaming video as well. Out of curiosity, I switched over to a 5GHz wireless N network and now everything flies.

The speed difference was so great, I decided to stick with wireless and never did any digging into why the powerline performance degraded. It may be worth investigating in your case since I think that powerline networking is prone to interference.

7. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Lately, my DSL connection has been erratic in that my speed tests are slower than normal. Obviously, when this happens 'on demand' downloads take longer. The OP should check his speeds when he sees the on demand taking longer. Personally, when I do use on demand I don't expect to watch 'right away', I just wait to watch it the next day.