1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Startring Over?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by tthunder38, May 25, 2009.

1. tthunder38

tthunder38 AllStar

Apr 24, 2008
    I recorded the Indy race yesterday on a HR21 and for some reason when it gets to the 1:07 mark it automatically starts over. I can get it to the 1:06 mark then skip over and everything is fine. Did it three times in a row. Anyone else seen this or have a clue as to why the HR would start over on its own? And no, I wasn't fiddling with the remote :)

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Try a restart and see if it still does this.

3. tthunder38

tthunder38 AllStar

Apr 24, 2008
    Sorry JD but I've already deleted it.

4. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    You should report this in the issues thread at the top of this forum.

It's an interesting problem and since our friends at DirecTV read the issues thread they can look into possible causes.

Mike

5. EricJRW

EricJRW Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    Keller, TX
    I've seen that before, on my HR21.

For me (see below) it was more serious. For you, well maybe it was just a glitch.

In my case I think it was a sign of bad things to come (I think my internal hard drive was failing). D* sent me an HR22 as a replacement.

It seems high temperatures accompanied my failure, so keeping tabs on internal temp might be interesting.

Keep in mind I am basing this only on personal experience.

6. tthunder38

tthunder38 AllStar

Apr 24, 2008
    Thanks for the suggestion Micro......I'll do just that. I do occasionally check the internal temp and its usually in the 120-125 range.

7. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    It sounds like an anomaly in the recording itself, and nothing portending ultimate HDD failure.

Recordings contain metadata telling the DVR their position regarding playback. This is something continually reported and checked by the OS. For example, "I'm now at 1:06:54", "I'm now at 1:06:55", etc. In this case, at approximately "1:07", that info was corrupted to the point where the DVR became confused about that and defaulted to the beginning.

It's not that uncommon. I once had an hour recording that for a time reported the length as being 937 hours and change. It happens. In my case, the recording played fine. This is a very similar sort of corruption to that which can cause a "black" recording or "instant delete" recording (confusion in the DB cataloging about exactly where the video file is, and consequent inability to play it back).

8. EricJRW

EricJRW Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    Keller, TX
    Yeah, I was not trying to be either doomy or gloomy, and was careful to say this was just my experience...

But since tthunder38 wanted to know if "Anyone else seen this or have a clue as to why the HR would start over on its own?" I figured I'd share... Since I definitely saw it. I'm pretty sure in my case it was the failing drive that was messing up that metadata, but I'm sure there are many ways that data can get messed with. :grin:

9. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Was that the 21-200 you had the overheating problem with? The first one I had got so hot I never even checked the temp, I just pulled the plug. Got a brand new one as a replacement and it is fine and has been running for a year or so. I wonder if that model had a lot of overheating problems, haven't seen one for a long time. They seem to have stopped selling them. And they weren't on the retail market very long. Haven't noticed one on eBay either.

Rich

10. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That's a good range for a 20.

Rich