1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Startup Code to initiate a Hard Drive Scan

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by SomeRandomIdiot, Oct 18, 2012.

1. SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot Godfather

Jan 6, 2009
    What is the startup up procedure to manually force a Hard Drive Scan.

My attempts to locate it via search have come up blank and it's been over 2 years since I last used it - and as thus I do not remember the combination.

Seems one of the items was holding a button on the actual DVR @ startup but just cannot remember which.

TIA

2. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Press select on your remote when you see the screen saying the unit is checking hardware.

3. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    IIRC, that no longer works. However, when the DVR is starting up and you see the running self-test screen press the select button. That will take you to the system diagnostics. You'll be able to run a hard drive test from there.

Mike

4. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I believe it has become Automatic as my DVR performed a surface disc scan without asking me for any input and it wiped out all of my Settings, Recordings, Series Links, etc. as if I had just installed a brand new hard drive.

Bummer but at least it is working now but I won't put anything I want to keep very long on it as it will probably need another new hard drive within 6 months.

Once it finds Bad Sectors and Repairs them you are okay for a little while but then other Bad Sectors show up as the plate layer is thinning due to age. :nono2:

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Record and > [on the front panel] during boot "used to" format the drive. This was changed to a disk scan, "but" it doesn't work with the HR24, due most likely to the different type of front panel.