Starz and Encore Promo

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by slovell, Nov 4, 2019.

1. slovell

slovell New Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Chesnee, SC
    Got a call from Directv early this morning asking, as I am a loyal customer, if I wanted a free month's promo of Starz and the Encore channels. I said sure I'd take a free month. Logged onto my email about 15 minutes after the call and already had an adjusted bill from DTV charging me for the free (?) month. I called customer service and cancelled it immediately. Don't think it was a scam, just a shady hustle. If you get this call be aware it's not free.
    Regards, Sam

2. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Pretty sure it WAS a scam. Directv is not going to call you offering a free month and then charging you. It wasn't Directv who called you, people have reported similar scams in the past.

3. slovell

slovell New Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Chesnee, SC
    The lady I talked to at DTV found the invoice in my billing info, seems legit to me. I would think if it was a scam it wouldn't be in my ATT/DTV records.

4. jal

jal Icon

Mar 3, 2005
    I just received the same call today. I was truly offended by it. The gist of it was that since I was a such a good customer, Directv was going to "turn on" the Starz and Encore channels. As I was listening, I thought, well that's nice, but I hope this isn't one of those deals where you get it free for three months, then have to call in to get rid of it or be billed. I was shocked when I continued to listen that I would be billed right away for being "such a good customer." I asked the caller to repeat herself, because I thought I must have heard it wrong. Nope, just a way of getting me to think I was being rewarded for being a long-term customer but actually being charged. I told them NOT to turn on any channels, and to remove me from their call list.

slovell likes this.
  5. slovell

slovell New Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Chesnee, SC
    When they called me it was 0815 am and I was still asleep and probably didn't hear part of what she said. :confused: I figured it all out when I got up and checked my email. Pretty slick and devious, if you ask me they're getting slicker and more devious by the day. I got a discount three months ago that lowered my bill to $106 and change. It's since been gradually raised back up to $121 and change so far. I'm going to call and try to find out what they're up to shortly. Luckily I've still got my saved invoice for the $106 discounted bill.