1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starz Cinema West: Audio Channels Reversed!

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by TNGTony, Aug 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 6, 2004 #1 of 12
    TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Hi there,

Has anyone noticed that Starz Cinema West on Dish has the left and the right channels reversed? I noticed this a couple of days ago and confirmend it last night.

And no my audio cables are not reversed.
    1) I'm using the optical PCM output
    2) Even if I was using analog RCA jacks and even If they were then ALL the channels would be reversed on my receiver and they are not. Only Starz Cinema West.
    3) The same problem occurs on all my receivers on the same channel only.

Why did it take me so long to find it? Because up until I got my 721 I never had the time or hard drive space to record movies to watch later and rarely watched that particular channel. Now I notice it all the time.

See ya
    Tony

2. Aug 6, 2004 #2 of 12
    MattS

MattS Godfather

Apr 5, 2004
    Dish and Starz have always had issues with audio problems. Last problem I knew about was Black Starz! was having the problem as you described.

3. Aug 6, 2004 #3 of 12
    Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    A few years ago I noticed that some other channel was reversed (I don't remember which one it was). I sent an e-mail to DishQuality@EchoStar.com and it was fixed within a few days.

4. Aug 6, 2004 #4 of 12
    khearrean

khearrean Godfather

Mar 24, 2004
    S.E. Texas
    I had that issue once; I stood on my head & low & behold, the audio was back to normal... :rolleyes: I know, "go to your room, young man."

Ken

5. Aug 6, 2004 #5 of 12
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    You could try standing on your head, but the audio would still be reversed. Think of it ... starships flying in from left to right on the screen with the audio flowing right to left. Actors off the left side of the screen primarily in the right speaker. All the neat audio features that make stereo (and 5.1) so much fun mixed up enough to give you a headache.

Now stand on your head. The starship still flies the wrong way ... you see right to left on your upside down screen and hear left to right on your upside down speakers.

BTW: You have to have a good stereo presentation to notice that flip. Otherwise it is just an uncanny "something is wrong" feeling. Congrats TNGTony for noticing.

JL

6. Aug 6, 2004 #6 of 12
    khearrean

khearrean Godfather

Mar 24, 2004
    S.E. Texas
    Just thinking about it & I get that "something is wrong" feeling. :hurah:

Ken

7. Aug 6, 2004 #7 of 12
    Lurker

Lurker Legend

May 14, 2002
    One of our local stations used to be so inept that the audio was reversed FRONT TO BACK. The main sound would come from the surround channels and the effects from the front. Very annoying.

8. Aug 6, 2004 #8 of 12
    garypen

garypen Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 1, 2004
    Oh yeah? Well one of our local stations was sooooooooo bad, the sound was reversed top to bottom.

I also noticed that on the BBC channel, the steering wheels are always on the wrong side of the car. It only seems to be happening on BBC, and occasionally PBS.

9. Aug 6, 2004 #9 of 12
    SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Gary - the steering wheel problem also shows up in a lot of Kung Fu movies. ;)

10. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    And on TV Japan!

See ya
    Tony

11. MarkA

MarkA God Bless America! DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    "One of our local stations used to be so inept that the audio was reversed FRONT TO BACK. The main sound would come from the surround channels and the effects from the front. Very annoying."

Pro-Logic Matrix decoding? Sounds like the phase was swapped 180 degrees on one channel (I THINK that's what would cause that problem).

12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The steering wheels were fine. They just flipped the image to fix an audio left/right problem. :D

The fun part is to drive an American car on British roads. Peeking around the car in front of you to overtake (pass) puts the passenger in harm's way before the driver.

JL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.