1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starz yanking content from Netflix

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by trdrjeff, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Sep 1, 2011 #1 of 23
    trdrjeff

trdrjeff Icon

Dec 3, 2007
    And ceases negotiations for contract extension.

2. Sep 1, 2011 #2 of 23
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Press Release:

3. Sep 1, 2011 #3 of 23
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I can't help thinking the timing of this release is not coincidental, since this is the day Netflix's prices go up sharply.

4. Sep 1, 2011 #4 of 23
    trdrjeff

trdrjeff Icon

Dec 3, 2007
    It'll be hard to keep that $8/mo price point working with content makers/owners taking that stance

5. Sep 1, 2011 #5 of 23
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Sounds like just another corporation that wants to extract blood from a turnip.
    Netflix subs who also sub to STARZ should cancel STARZ and send Starz an email why they canceled.

6. Sep 1, 2011 #6 of 23
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    "Greed is good!"

7. Sep 1, 2011 #7 of 23
    Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Before IPTV finally gets sorted out we will see more and more of this. The studios really are very slow to move into the future. They are trying to preserve what they've always had. They are pissed.

It's very interesting to watch. :grin:

IMHO, someday in the not too distant future TV will work like the music business does today. I just hope the innovation isn't sucked out of the content like what has happened with today's music.

8. Sep 1, 2011 #8 of 23
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    This decision is a result of our strategy to protect the premium nature of our profit .......

9. Sep 1, 2011 #9 of 23
    Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    The MSOs couldn't afford to carry Starz if Netflix carried the same content at half the price. It just didn't make sense. Thus Starz had to either double the cost to Netflix (or more) or do this.

Netflix is going to see this again and again...

Cheers,
    Tom

10. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Exactly...

All the people who think IPTV or Netflix will be free or cheap forever are misguided. IF enough people shift to those sources for content, the price of that content will rise there too... OR people will stop creating entertainment content.

I grant that some cable/satellite offerings seem overpriced at times... but all the people involved in creating the content need to make money too... so I have always seen these IPTV scenarios rising in price at some point to come closer to the other choices.

11. Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez Godfather

Aug 11, 2008
    Netflix was paying about 25M a year for Starz content, and it wanted as much as 400M a year after 1Q12, when the contract expires.

Unfortunately for Netflix, Starz provided half of the most popular 30 streaming titles.

12. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I'm curious to see how Netflix subscribers will paint the "bad guy" here... Netflix or Starz.

When Dish loses a channel over price negotiations... people blame Dish and say they want their channels.

Will Netflix subscribers be mad at Netflix here?

13. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    Most of them had cancelled their Starz subscription. That is the whole issue.

Cheers,
    Tom

14. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    So they want to charge a person twice for the same programming eh? Premium streaming fee :) Well, I canceled Netflix last month due to their cost increase (for me). Was looking at the Google option, but unfortunately none of my multitude of different boxes/devices will stream it, and Im not buying yet another box. Just more money to give to DirecTv ;)

15. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    Basically, if you want access to Starz content, ya gotta pay Starz so they can buy it. "So who you gonna call?"

Cheers,
    Tom

16. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    As a Netflix Subscriber I can answer that for you. I will say it's 75% Starz fault and 25% Netflix's fault. It's mostly Starz fault for basically trying to extort money from Netflix but Netflix is also partially at fault for not seeing that this was going to happen and starting streaming at a higher price point. If they had priced streaming at say $15 a month instead of $9 at its inception it would be easier for us customers to see going to $20 a month.

17. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Well, since I dont support greedy corporations any more than I am forced to by lack of other choices, I'll do without Starz, like I do without Extra Innings, Sunday Ticket, smart phone data plans, top tier speed internet, etc. Some of them I have no choice to support, like the $15 I pay for gas each month (drive a 75mpg motorcycle as often as possible), and the grocery stores (gotta eat) :)

18. Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez Godfather

Aug 11, 2008
    My take. I'd bet that Starz wanted $1.50 per subscriber per month, with the sub count updated every quarter. Based on 25M subscribers, Netflix would have had to disburse an annualized 450M, up from today's 25M.

Who do I blame?

ESPN, for manipulating the DTH and Cable carriers into paying 4.50 per subscriber per month.

19. seern

seern Active Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Glen Allen, VA
    Well, since I have hardly used the Netflix streaming, this does not have much effect on me. I set up my account to be disc only so I don't think my bill will go up much, if any.

20. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Probably not. 1 disc a month is set to be $7.99/month, which is what it previously was. I had 1 disc and streaming for $9.99/month, but that will now be $15.98/month. I dropped back to streaming only.

- Merg