Status of number of client licenese?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - HMC PC Playback Discussion (private)' started by RAD, Apr 18, 2008.

1. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Since we're getting another client to test hopefully today, what's the status on the number of licenese available for installs?

Thanks
    Rick

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    As of right now... no change in the license available for installs.

Just one per tester.

3. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    I was just about to post the same thing. Hopefully we can get two each. I just built and new PC and haven't been able to test on it at all because there are no more licensees (at least I think that is the problem why it won't work).

4. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    With a new update to the software will we be able to change PC's or is it stuck to the PC we started testing on?

I have tried to remove the software on my laptop and then instill it on my new PC but it would not work. I even did a clean install of the OS for another problem but that would not even work.

So I am wondering if we will be able to change PC's?

5. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    An update: There are more licenses as of the last client build (and presumably will apply to this week's as well.)

Please try to limit yourself to computers you really will use and test. If you want to go above 2, please double-check with Earl or I; we might be too limited to allow that.

Cheers,
    Tom

6. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    I'm planning on two (desktop & laptop).

Now I've got to go and re-configure that wireless n adapter on the test HR20. Was playing around the other day and remotely set it to 5GHz-only and it stopped responding. Those Linksys wireless n game adapters are flaky as hell.

7. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    With all this talk of licenses, I'm guessing that they're going to charge for this application for when it's released? I don't see any other reason why they would have introduced the whole licensing aspect of this.

8. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    No idea at this point.

Could be just to protect the development "in-progress" versions of the code.

9. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    I guess, but I would assume the fact that you need our special pushed builds on the HR20 for it to work would keep that in check. But I guess not if some of this code has already migrated to the CE builds...

10. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Some things to remember: the PC client is built upon Cyberlink's PowerDVD codeset, so licensing is easy and wise at this point.

Yet, when the finalized product is readied, if DIRECTV says, what can you do us for on 1M licenses... :)

Between now and release, many things can happen.

Cheers,
    Tom