1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Std cost of MRV?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by rjc, Nov 21, 2010.

1. rjc

rjc Legend

Jan 26, 2006
    looking for a little help...I have 4 HD DVR receivers already set up with a SWM8...but am now interested in getting MRV...how much does DirecTV charge for install of this? I know about the $3/month charge once it's up and running but what is just the install charge
    thanks for your help

2. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    It varies to how long you been a customer and how good you at bargaining. But anywhere from $99 to I believe $299.

Don't forget to the Cinema (Internet) Connection Kit.

3. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Standard WHDVR installation now cost $199.00 plus $25 for the ICK, up from the former $149.00 plus ICK, unless you can haggle with DirecTV for a lower cost based on your subscription longevity, payment history, who you negotiate with (Customer Retention being your best bet), and even attitude or demeanor when you call, etc.

4. rjc

rjc Legend

Jan 26, 2006
    do they charge the same regardless of your current configuration?

I do not need the SWiM...nor any receivers..all I need is the DECA Adaptors and whatever connects to my router...I have a total of 5 receivers

Thoughts? comments?

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Yes

6. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    As VOS stated, yes. In your case, you would be getting 6 DECAs plus a PI. You would also get a splitter over near one of your receivers if you have an ethernet connection near there or a coax run to near your router. That would be about $150+ in itself in parts if purchased on your own.

- Merg

7. Brian Hanasky

Brian Hanasky Godfather

Feb 22, 2008
    I think Directv is beginning to price themselves out of some sales re: Conneted Home. I am interested in the whole home system in part because my wife leaves for work very early and could watch some of her shows in the LR in the morning (that she usually watches in the bedroom). Despite this potential use the concept is more of a novelty to me. I can see use in it but it's more because I like gadgets and such that makes me want it. The idea of paying 199 + the 50 install fee certainly backs me off of my initial interest. I have multiple DVR's so I already record my shows in the rooms I use to watch TV. My kids both have DVR's but I wouldn't need them connected to the system since they don't want to/need to watch the primetime programming that my wife and I watch. When they first made connected home available I was interested but when I consider need vs. want and the price they are charging it's not worth it to me. I was recently told I could bet 100 off of the charges but that would still be $150 and for $150 i could find other things to get/do.

Just my opinion. I'm sure many w/o multiple DVR's find the system essential.

8. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    And some maybe only "useful".
    Comparing the cost to the closest other type of network, MoCa, with around $50-$70 per device, it doesn't seem that unreasonable.

9. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Its hard to swallow, but when you realize what all you're installing, they aren't priced high as vos states.. (cost of equipment, labor involved to set it up, etc) And I will say this, it may sound like a novelty, but once you have it, its like getting your first dvr... You will never go without it again...

And that is a huge game changer for DIrectv, because no one else has the same MRV as Directv.. Others have it, but its WAY more expensive from other providers, AND not nearly as capable as Directs, And no one else that I know of allows more than one DVR in their WH service connected together... Massive advantages for directv.. Once they have you, no one else can provide the same service, so having a slightly higher initial investment for lower monthly fees than anyone else, and a product that can;t be duplicated, they have a good strategy in a business sense...

10. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I think VOS was referring to standard MoCa devices and not the DECAs that DirecTV uses.

- Merg

11. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    And let's not lose sight of using the unsupported local network method. :)

12. TNMUSTANG

TNMUSTANG Cool Member

Mar 3, 2010
    I called last week for the MRV. Was told $199 for install. I stated that I had been a direct tv customer since 1996 with no UPGRADES requested from Direct, (I've paid for HD upgrade last year, before I knew I could have gotten it 'free' from Direct). I didn't want to pay for the MRV upgrade. The representative stated he could not waive the fee. I asked to be 'sent up' to someone that could help me. He transferred me and I spoke to a VERY GREAT and KIND, lady!! She waived all charges and I got the MRV installed and turned on last wednesday for ZERO cost, except the monthly $3.00. So it pays to be nice and take no for an answer! ASk to speak to another rep!!