STELA reauth, DNS and LiL

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by slice1900, Mar 15, 2019.

1. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Interesting article at Multichannel, apparently some in Congress want to pressure Directv to provide locals for the 12 DMAs they current don't:

https://www.multichannel.com/news/s...rectv-for-small-market-remote-area-tv-signals

This is interesting because D14 launched with beams specifically targeted at some of these DMAs (such as Ottumwa IA) but they never added locals for them. My guess at the time it launched was that by moving beams around between D14 and D11/D12 they'd be able to cover all markets, but if not they can definitely cover most of the missing dozen markets. The rest could be covered with CONUS transponders which they will have spare capacity on by the end of the year.

So if they can cover some/all markets, why have they never added locals for them? The only reason I can think of is because it costs money for them to set up a local receive facility to deliver the locals to one of the regional uplink sites, and then they need equipment at those sites to uplink them to the satellites. These are small markets, and probably they don't see a return on investment.

If Congress wants to play hardball, they could remove Directv's ability to provide DNS to customers in those markets (or entirely by eliminating their right to provide them for customers with grandfathered DNS) so this might force them into adding locals for those markets. Or if Directv won't budge, they might be forced to drop DNS at the end of the year when the current STELA expires.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Congress should also allow providers like Dish and DirecTV to deliver a DNS alternative when those greedy local station owners demand more money and pull their signals.

3. 242424

242424 AllStar

Mar 22, 2012
    "instead of nearby media markets "that may carry important and relevant local news and alerts." They conceded the current law allows that but didn't see why AT&T didn't try to deliver in-region news"

This ^ is what always bugged the hell out of me.

4. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    The rules are different for delivering neighboring DMAs for cable than they are for satellite, so Directv may not have a choice in such cases. Even if Congress fixed that discrepancy, the spot beams are what they are, so if they don't reach they can't do it regardless.

5. DirectMan

DirectMan AllStar

Jul 14, 2007
  6. 242424

242424 AllStar

Mar 22, 2012
    I'm less than 5 miles away from the neighboring DMA. :D

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It is a shame that it is an issue. DIRECTV should have covered all markets years ago.

8. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I agree, but Congress trying to force it today when satellite has begun an inevitably permanent decline seems pointless and futile. If they cared they should have required it a decade ago. If they make it a condition of Directv keeping DNS after this year, they'll probably choose to drop DNS rather than spend the money to add those remaining DMAs because it is pretty obvious they've already decided the investment isn't worth it.

BigRedFan likes this.
  9. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH has DNS ... they also offer Local into Local in every market as a condition to having permission to have DNS service restored.
    DISH will fight to keep DNS because they rely on the service to deliver major networks in markets that do not have affiliates for all four.
    If Congress allows distants to drop they will need to redefine how these gaps will be filled or people will lose their stations.

10. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    DirecTV does similar things for markets that don't have local affiliates of any of the big 5 or PBS. They either remap one of the national feeds, or import a neighboring market's affiliate if the spotbeam covers it. (i.e. Mankato where they use the Minneapolis affiliates for ABC, NBC and CW and the PBS national feed or Zanesville where they use the Columbus affiliates for ABC, CBS and Fox, and the national DNS feeds for CW and PBS)

Without DNS, or any replacement provision for markets like that, they'll be forced to drop the missing networks from those markets, or only provide them to bordering counties on the significantly viewed list.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  11. Richard

Richard Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    South Texas
    I have no use for "Local" channels. I get shows from the 4 main networks by other means. I do have them from DirecTV, but I never watch them, and don't record anything from them. Unfortunately, I still have to see annoying commercials that usually only play on those Local Channels, from time to time, because of the Commercial insertion that DirecTV does.

The local channels around here will have "Breaking News" anytime it rains for more than a few minutes, with "live on scene" reports. They will preempt shows to show this "news". Sorry, but Local channel "News" is so out-dated, they should get rid of it completely. Even the "local" radio stations all have syndicated shows on them, with very little local content. They are basically just a repeater with local commercials (and lots of them). They have changed with the times, TV Channels just refuse to.

Imagine how much capacity would be saved if all they had to do was provide a national feed for everyone. And they should be provided to all providers for free, since all 4 (ABC, CBS, NBC & Fox) are advertiser supported networks. And we, as customers, should not be charged for them from our provider either.

12. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa

Every provider does commercial insertion, not just Directv. If you switched to cable you'd have the same thing. The insertion replaces another commercial, so you aren't getting more commercials, just different ones.

Just because networks are advertiser supported doesn't mean they have to be free. They pay billions in rights fees for their programming (especially sports) far more than they make via advertising. Since you say you watch what you want on the networks by other means you probably don't watch sports, in which case you'd probably be better off dropping Directv and watching everything via the same "other means" you watch network programming... Pretty much everything on cable is available via streaming, and even if you have to pay for it it'll cost you a lot less than you are paying Directv each month.

13. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    If you are seeing commercials on your LOCAL TV stations they are being put there by your local station.
    From a technical aspect, if you're not watching the channels via DIRECTV there is no way DIRECTV could insert an ad (other than paying and getting placed on the OTA feed like other advertisers).
    From a legal aspect, the laws that allow DIRECTV to retransmit the station do not allow DIRECTV to edit the station content. DIRECTV cannot insert ads on local station channel feeds.
    (What DIRECTV can do is insert ads on national "cable channels" such as Fox News, CNN, Comedy Central, Fox Sports, ESPN, etc. Not local into local service.)

So either you are confused as to what a local channel is or you are confused as to what you're seeing. On national channels yes, you will get ads and ads inserted by your provider. Only "premium" channels are commercial free.

14. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    the NBA, MLB, NHL, NFL. college basketball / college football have local games that are not national

15. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Keep in mind that the only reason Dish had the DNS rights taken away was because they were abusing or defying the laws for who qualified. Wouldnt be fair if they mandated DirecTV had to add the remaining markets to keep theirs. Dish ONLY did it because that was the only way they could get DNS back after being so careless with having it the first time.

The other part of this for me is this bill needs to take care of the orphan counties and not sweep it back under the rug. I am tired of living in Oklahoma but being forced to get my locals from Kansas and Missouri. I found out several years ago about the Significantly Viewed exclusion and convinced 2 of the 3 big 4 from Tulsa (in state DMA) to add them with DirecTV so we do get 2 in state local channels from a neighboring DMA. But I want it fixed for all providers. I am working on trying to get my market changed to the Tulsa DMA. I found online where a county in Colorado petitioned the FCC a few years ago and got it approved to change from New Mexico to Denver. Its been blocked since and is still tired up but we are much shorter distances away from our in state locals than Colorado was. Devner was 335 miles from the county that won the petition. So in end I would settle for some government intervention that says every provider has to offer one in state local channel that covers weather and the local channels have to offer out of market channels at a discount but I will keep working to have my entire county changed to the in state local DMA.

I have called several Congressmen, Committee for Commerce and Energy and many others already. This is serious. We need to get this bill done the correct way this time. Not just reauthorize it for another 5 years. I will be looking to see when they finally have hearings on this. Its been frustrating as my Congressman is not on the committee that votes on this but when I call a Congressman's office that is on the committee, they dont want to talk to me cause I am not in their area. The New Mexico Congressman has the same issue with Orphan Counties and should be all about this. More to come but its time to get this figured out this time.

16. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Unfortunately this is going to be way down the priority list for congressmen, when compared with the big issues you read about in the news. It is easier to just say "five more years of the same".

Especially now since any of them that ask their staff (mostly twenty something millennials that hope to be congressmen or lobbyists someday) they'll be told it doesn't matter since streaming is replacing cable/satellite anyway.

17. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    In the process DISH proved that it was possible to deliver LIL service into every market. Do you think it is fair that DIRECTV is ignoring their customers in the remaining markets?

As noted above, this is 2019. Not carrying LIL in every market shouldn't be something DIRECTV is missing.

18. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    No one ever doubted it was possible, the only doubt is whether it makes economic sense.

19. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Thats not the point here James. DISH wouldnt have done it if their hand was not forced for their bad business practices. Why should DirecTV be held to the same standard when they followed the laws that DISH did not?

242424 likes this.
  20. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Thats a good point to. Dish chose that it was worth the investment to get DNS back. These go hand in hand though. DISH lost the DNS rights because they did something wrong. Does anyone honestly believe Dish would of added the last ones they were missing if they were not forced to, to get DNS back?