STELAR 5-year extension signed into law

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by FTA Michael, Dec 5, 2014.

1. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    From Multichannel News:

"With the stroke of a pen, the relatively drama-free STELAR Act (HR 5728) became law Thursday (Dec. 4) after the President signed the bill, which reauthorizes the satellite compulsory distant signal license for another five years, and makes some retransmission consent-related changes, as well as sunsetting the FCC's ban on integrated set-tops after a year." (Click the link above for more.)

One item I asked about, without a reply, is the new STELAR's affect on superstations for those of us who still subscribe to them on Dish. When I read the bill, it's mostly "add this phrase" or "substitute this sentence" on the law that it's renewing, so I'm not sure whether it somehow removed the supers' authorization or (my guess) left them alone for another five years. Since no one ever even mentions these guys, I'm thinking that they might stay alive until the whole law gets rewritten, which could happen if Congress actually rolls up its sleeves to address the whole Communications Act.

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
  3. comizzou573

comizzou573 Legend

Aug 6, 2007
    Does this mean dish can offer distant networks again, like directv does?

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH has been able to offer distants again for nearly five years. They have chosen not to offer distants in the same way that DirecTV offers distants. For a brief time DISH offered distants to RV customers. Currently they choose to use their ability to offer distants to offer fill in channels of their choice instead of national same channel everywhere feeds.

STELAR adds five more years to the status quo.

5. comizzou573

comizzou573 Legend

Aug 6, 2007
    Interesting when dish offered distant to rv, they said i was eligible since my receive was grandfathered to receive distant local. I didnt bother to sub as I was already getting them through all american direct at that time.

6. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I still like having the Supper Stations. One reason I went with Dish back in 1999. The KTLA and WPIX news is interesting to watch. It would be nice to get them to HD, but I will take them any way I can get them. Let's hope Dish keeps them.

7. SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot Godfather

Jan 6, 2009
    Dish was legally able to provide DNS as soon as it started offering HD LIL service to all Nielsen DMAs.

8. comizzou573

comizzou573 Legend

Aug 6, 2007
    Directv just launched a new satellite and they are going to offer hd national

9. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    What is HD national???