1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steve Jobs talking about new notebooks

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Chris Blount, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
  2. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Sounds like Jobs is determined to stick with high-gloss reflective screens.

When asked by friends for buying advice, one of the things I mention is to
    avoid buying any machine with a reflective screen. One such friend who
    forgot (or ignored) my advice, later complained to my about the problem
    she has with lighting reflections inside her well-lit beauty shop.

Pity. I wouldn't have any laptop or LCD monitor that wasn't non-reflective

Also, no immediate plans for Blu-Ray or even HD? Are we seeing the Mac
    go back to the future and go the way of the Betamax and the 8-track?

3. ibglowin

ibglowin Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Sep 10, 2002
    No.

Apple has spent a few $$$$$ developing a little business called iTunes which is now quite capable of delivering 720P HD movies and TV shows. They have no interest in helping Sony further BD when they want to further their own iTunes distribution system. Who wants to watch Blu-ray on a 15in laptop anyway????

4. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Why do people equate Blu-Ray with Sony? Sure Sony was perhaps the most vocal backer, but Apple is also part of the Blu-Ray Disc Association. Pretty stupid for them not to offer a BD drive.

Blu-Ray just isn't for video, it can hold massive amounts of data. Personally, I wouldn't even consider buying a computer, desktop or laptop, unless it has a BD drive, BD burner would be better though. To have a BD burner in my new HP it was a $300 add on, I didn't think twice, when I was looking at an HP laptop, the configuration I customized had a BD-ROM drive. Buying a computer these days without Blu-Ray would be like buying a car with no power windows.

5. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    One thing to consider though is that BD has not really "taken off". BD is still a very small market and at present, tiny external hard drives are a much better way to make large amounts of data portable.

6. ibglowin

Sep 10, 2002
    Are you kidding?

For all practical purposes Sony is now equated with BD. They weren't the only company to invent it (Philips and Pioneer as well) but they are the one that pushed out the PS3 with BD and they were the first to be BD exclusive in Studio video content in HD. They are the voice behind BD for all practical purposes. Apple doesn't care about BD one bit.

As for Macs, you can put a BD drive in your machine today and use it to store data with Toast 9. You can even author a BD video disc of your home movies using iMovieHD and then burn to a BD disc and watch it back on your PS3 using Toast 9.

The problems with BD-R disc are at the moment they are still incredibly expensive. Its cheaper to just use hard drive storage or regular DVD at 4.4GB for $0.20 for 9GB for $1. Maybe someday the disc will come down in price. I don't believe there will ever be a market for BD storage until the prices come down to a few dollars a disc. $15 coaster, no thank you. I just picked up a 1T bare drive for $114 shipped.

7. HIPAR

HIPAR Icon

May 15, 2005
    They give me a headache when there is a lot of glare and I want to see what's on the screen, not a reflection of my ugly face.

The problem now being it's almost impossible to buy a laptop without a Glass Screen. Furthermore, if you want a matte big screen monitor you better buy it soon because they are also becoming an endangered species.

You need to go with a 'Thinkpad' for a matte screen laptop but looking at trends in new products over at Lenovo, they will be forsaking loyal 'Thinkpad' users soon.

Nick, we are swimming upstream on this one.

--- CHAS

8. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Nothing new...I've spent a lifetime going against the trends.
    Seems like common sense and logic have left the building.

9. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    So lemme guess you're either a Sony hater or have an HD DVD Player collecting dust somewhere or both. To say Apple doesn't care one bit about BD is asinine and you know it. If they didn't care about it they wouldn't offer machines with BD drives and they wouldn't have joined the BDA. As for cost of media, I remember when blank DVDs cost that much. I bought my first Memorex blank CD-R in early 2000. $18.99 at WalMart for two 2X discs. As with all new technology, price will come down. Blu Ray is more than just Sony HD download off of iTunes and BD are two different markets. Digital downloads will NEVER replace physical media.

10. ibglowin

Sep 10, 2002
    Apple only cares about BD in so far as if they included one into their systems they would help them sell tons more computers. That could happen in a few years if BD ever takes off like DVD did.

BTW, I have do own a 1st gen PS3 and well over 100 BD Movies. I like physical media as much as the next guy. But I do also like not having to mess with physical media which is why I love my Apple TV more and more every day.

11. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    Be careful with that statement. There are many examples in technological history where people said "Never".

12. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    IOW, never say never!

I always never make declarative statements that include 'never ' or 'always'.

13. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Digital downloads will be and currently ruined by DRM. Granted, you can crack most any DRM in a matter of minutes, and I've proudly have done my share but at some point it gets old. I personally do not want one huge media server in my house spewing out movies and music. I do not want to make daily back ups of hard drives in fear that one may die and every piece of audio and video I own is gone, if I scratch a Blu Ray Disc I'm out what a whole $25 and it can be replaced easily.

Digital downloads are convenient and compliment physical media nicely but anyone in their right mind would never bet the whole farm on them.

14. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Steve - I have a 4TB server and I don't worry about all my stuff going away. With Windows Home Server, you can have the system keep two copies of every file, making sure they are on different physical drives.

The only thing that could make you "lose everything" is a fire, but that would take out your Blu-Ray collection as well. FTR, I'm doing both. I get stuff from Usenet and I'm starting a Blu-ray collection