Still able to buy an “owned” HR24?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by walle, Jan 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. walle

walle New Member

Jan 11, 2020
    Are existing d/att customers who do not want the restrictions of a “lease” able to still buy or pay full price for an “owned” HR24 receiver? Currently only have “owned” receivers on my account, no “leased” equipment.

My account has been migrated to the new system.

Have enjoyed being able to turn off/on “owned” receivers.

Thanks for taking the time to read my question.

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Purchasing owned equipment is easy. Getting it activated isn't. You're dealing with AT&T and they have gone out of their way to make life difficult for DIRECTV customers. In other words you're going to have to order a leased HR24 if you want to activate it on your account.

3. Michael H..

Michael H.. Member

May 31, 2007
    Have to ask yourself... does it make sense to purchase, rather than lease an HR24? I have 6 leased receivers and 3 leased clients activated on my account. I also have 5 leased receivers that I have deactivated on my account, that are sitting in the garage. When I deactivated those receivers, DirecTV did not want them back. 2 of those have been deactivated > 5 years, but I recently verified with DirecTV that all those receivers' SER & RID numbers, still show on the account. The only difference is that the activated receivers have a "Deactivate" option, and the deactivated receivers have an "Activate" option. So other than the latest equipment, leased is pretty much equivalent to owned. FYI the earlier receivers, from a 1st generation 1994 RCA to a last "owned" generation H10 do not show up on the account.

The 5 deactivated receivers that show up with the "Activate" option is the only reason why I can (re)activate those receivers, but whether leased or owned, is NOT transferable to another account. DirecTV will (re)activate those receivers only on the account from which they were deactivated. DirecTV USED TO activate OWNED receivers on another account, and did so with employee owned / sold equipment, but discontinued that quite a while ago specifically to discourage that practice, and will NOT activate those receivers.

Anyone can "deactivate / activate" or "suspend / resume" receivers on their account, leased or owned, though DirecTV has started to make it difficult, sometimes refusing, to do so.

4. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    What are the restrictions of a "lease" of a receiver?

5. eletric chicken

eletric chicken Member

Dec 28, 2019
    the op will have to lease the HR24 and ride the contract out before they will even activated the owned HR24

6. eletric chicken

eletric chicken Member

Dec 28, 2019
    why do you want to own with the way things are changing. the cost is the same per month???

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    changing HDD inside...

8. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Has that ever stopped anyone from doing it?

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    not, but anyway … you don't remember recent days of a thread(s) where we discussed the process... each third post was done by purists who are apologetic to DTV TOS :rolleyes:

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    There was more benefit to owning "back in the day" when an owned receiver could be removed from an account and either re-added or sold to another person to be added to their account. AT&T is less likely to allow receivers to be added as "owned". Worst case they will add it as "leased" (even though it was purchased) and want it returned when deactivated. The more common case is simply refusing to activate (generally on accounts converted to AT&T billing).

11. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    That is more what I meant as what are the benefits today of owning vs leasing a receiver? As far as I can see there is no benefit now.

12. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Used to be, activating an owned receiver did not incur a service obligation. Even if you can do it now, you'll get stuck with 2 years.

b4pjoe likes this.
  13. eletric chicken

eletric chicken Member

Dec 28, 2019
    agree!!! and with the way things are changing it makes no sense to really own anything anymore

14. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Would that happen if I decided to reactivate one of my "owned" HRs?

Rich

15. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    If you are on the AT&T side, I think so.

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'm gonna try it one of these days. Right now we have too many HRs.

Rich

17. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    Which is utterly ridiculous. There is nothing warranting a two year obligation, nothing. They do so because they are so arrogant they think they can continue to do so...to stupid to realize that is the mindset costing them millions of customers.

242424 likes this.
  18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup, can't say enough about how poorly run D* is these days. Damn shame. Arrogance is bad enough, so is stupidity. Combine them and you have AT$T.

Rich

19. berf2

berf2 New Member

Jan 16, 2020
    So after reading through this, I'm assuming that there is no possible way to buy your own additional Genie to add another TV without signing another 2 year contract, is this right?

20. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Correct