1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still lnb issues.....wnc again with h24-700

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Jodean, May 7, 2011.

1. May 7, 2011 #1 of 24
    Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    Well directv engineers thought they had the situation under control. Guess not.

Dealers all got an email the other day saying there still might be an issue. They released new software for the 700 which should have solved the problem.

Yesterday i ran into the new problem. The reciever wont even do a software update, it locks up during the download. One 700 stuck at 14%, the other 700 stuck at 9%. Rebooted several times, same percentage on both every time.

The hr24-100 dvr downloaded and activated no problems.

Swapped the lnb from a wnc to an eagle apsen and all was well.

So thats great if they fixed the software, but you cant get a download on the reciever to fix the problem, they show zeros on almost all trandsponders, and a couple will show 96-98 here and there, dont matter the satellite its on, same readings.

2. May 7, 2011 #2 of 24
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    !rolling

maybe this guy can help:

[​IMG]

3. May 8, 2011 #3 of 24
    MrShowtime

MrShowtime Legend

Apr 8, 2009
    We have been told to swap out the swm lnb for a legacy lnb and then do the download on the 700. After the download they are SUPPOSED to work fine. I myself haven't run into this, but just passing it along

4. May 8, 2011 #4 of 24
    Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    ROFLMAO!!!

what a joke!!!

what remove the splitter, download each receiver independently with a barrel inplace of the splitter? Hahahahha, ya i want ot spend another 2 hours of my day doing software downloads in order to use a 700 model receiver.....wow cant believe thats the fix. Ya just download all 4 recievers one at a time then replace the swm system......

Ya ok, why not directv download the receiver before being shipped out??

5. May 9, 2011 #5 of 24
    leeliam

leeliam Mentor

Aug 2, 2010
    Jodean,

Why do you do a job you hate? Every post is complaining about problems that I honestly see on .1% of my jobs. If I was as worked up as you about all the little things in life I would quit this job and find a job with less stress.

6. May 9, 2011 #6 of 24
    Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    I dont hate my job...

I hate directv for not fixing their ****!!! I actually like the system if or when it works. But for some reason us retailers have to deal with all this crap that doesnt work and waste endless time doing so.

I had no issues for 8 months straight with the h24's then they start having china produce in overproduction and now we get **** to install. THANK YOU DIRECTV!!

I think you would be pissed as well if none of the directv systems worked for 3 months while taking 10 phone calls a day about searching for signal....

Good thing we started doing dish network!! No lnb problems what so ever, actually no problems at all, the K model recievers are fabulous!

7. May 9, 2011 #7 of 24
    Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    I always help people on the forums.....but this forum theres no chance in helping anyone these other guys are on here 24/7 fixing easy problems.

But when someone really does need help (like when a guy is provided non functioning equipment) then they have nothing to say at all and blame it on the installer.

Good thing these guys help out with minor problems, but when major problems arise they could care less. Did they contact someone who cares? NOPE. they are all still on here bashing on me WHY? Im not really sure.

Why bash a guy for showing how directs crap doesnt work????? I dont get it. If it dont work, it dont work, dont blame they guy thats lost thousands of dollars dealing with it.

8. May 9, 2011 #8 of 24
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    You've asked me not to bring up your old posts, yet you now say how "you're helping".
    Well your early "help" needed to be replied to as you didn't have a clue how things worked, and as such were giving out bad "help".
    I've both tried to teach you and to show you where to learn how to do your job.
    Are there problems with hardware? sure, but for "whatever reason", you seem to have more of them than anyone else.
    Posting about them here isn't going to get the word to DirecTV. Others have told you how to report these issues.

"Ragging on DirecTV" here isn't helping your case, nor is it going to change anything, other than having more readers think you aren't qualified well enough to do your job.

9. May 9, 2011 #9 of 24
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    To address this:
    Receivers are shipped from the factory with a base code installed.
    The boxes aren't opened until the installer does.
    How hard would it be for you to setup a dish and multiswitch, so you could update the software on all the receivers that need this before you load them on the truck?
    This would seem to be quicker than doing each at the customers house and needing to swap LNBs each time.

10. cabletech

cabletech Legend

Jan 20, 2011
    JODEAN Give this whole thing up. I seam to remember that a few months ago you posted that you were a building contractor, a 'professional' painter and a few other things just getting into doing sat installs and COMING to US for help in doing quailty installs, as you were not recieving training. We told you were to go on DTV training site for the training. You have contenuied to come to the forms posting questions AND answers that are really nuts. Now you are complaining about things that have been a normal problem for every installer since day one. You just do not get it. Now I also see you have indicated that you are, or working for, a retailer. LOAD HELP THE CUSTOMER. As VOS and others have said before, IF YOU DO NOT LIKE what you are doing, GET THE *** out and leave it to folks who have a clue. I have been doing this type of work for over 30 yrs and have NEVER had some of the problems that you have
    ALL the time.

11. wallfishman

wallfishman Icon

Dec 31, 2008
    man i remember being a tech doing cable modems for @ home when they first came out. we had to goto someones house , reboot their computer, that alone would take 1/2 hour on some of the POS we dealt with. shut it down rip it open , install a network card, reboot install driver, install tcip networking in windows, etc. 20 percent of them would go haywire getting blue screen of death had to rip back open install new card. if you lucky you get valid ip . then call @ home for 1/2 on phone building acct etc. then call comcast trobleshoot this wait on hold. we had 5 or 6 a day to do for like 5 years straight. sad part is the pay was damn near double what it is now, and their was no such thing as a backcharge

12. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    umm ok, see how you guys are? Down right rude.

My original post was just an update on the situation. If Directv is sending out emails to the retailers saying stuff is still not working right, then i guess there is a problem? Its not MY problem, its not MY installs.

This happens to all of our techs, we just started using wnc once again. Yesterday another tech had same issue.

Obviously most of you cant read, already stated above. I do like the work. Frustrated that direct still sends this stuff out before fixing it. Thats the whole point, also just an update.

I have went through most of the training videos, have learned (not much, knew most of it already) and also have stated here SEVERAL times that i passed along bad info from a corp installer OnO guy. Again, sorry.

Hmm....i am not a professional painter, dont know where that came from. I had a degree in Construction Management and have managed and bid building construction for the last ten years. Personally wired my own house, all passing code as wiring and electricity are interesting to me. I have a 300amp service, infloor heat, heat pump, dual fuel technology and really like the setup, im not stupid. I do LOOK stupid when passing on bad information, i get that. Will try to check info next time before passing it along.

13. kcaudiofx

kcaudiofx Legend

Dec 26, 2009
    Sounds too me its the -100's that are the problem, out here in KC all I receive is 500's and I have yet to have any issues, nor have I received any emails about problems, so maybe its your "region" that is only receiving and sending out 100's so I would suggest, when you call DSI or P10 whoever your supplier is, to request them being shipped from a different facilty and you will receive different models.. It is VERY possible to have that done, I had a customer that wanted 700 series HR24's (For some odd reason) I found out that Atlanta carries the 700's so I ordered them from Atl.. I am by no means an "Engineer" BUT, I have dealt with everything except 100's (the ones you are dealing with) and I have YET to have a problem, and I am putting in 15-20 HR24's and H24's a week, yea not a lot but enough to realize if there was a problem

14. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I see three posters between your posts.
    I DON'T see "you guys" being rude.
    I also don't see you answering my question.
    Might that be seen as "rude"?

15. gomezma1

gomezma1 Godfather

Mar 28, 2006
    What happened to the production of receivers in Mexico? I guess the chinese can get labor cheaper. That's ashame.

16. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    It's not an easy job. It's not for the faint of heart.

I can pretty accurately tell how long someone is going to last installing based on

1. Their "expectations" of what they think that the job will be like.
    2. How much (and how long) they bitch about the job.

There's a reason that 70%-90% of new guys can't "hack" it, so to speak :lol:

17. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    The manufacturers changed their lines to Asia [3 years ago], but this thread seems to be about WNC [again] LNBs.

18. wallfishman

wallfishman Icon

Dec 31, 2008
    thats exactly what i used to do a few yrs ago. I loaded hundreds of receivers software right at my house. It saved some time the way we activated them then. now i find the way we do things it wouldnt save any time. In Jodeans situation I would definitely be doing software at home. Dealing with Directv and cable companies there are always dumb things that make no sense that you just have to do. why ask why just do or die.

19. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    not sure which question?

This one?

This would be really difficult, as the equipment is stored in a storage shed and I only get equipment needed for that day only. No power at the shed.

I guess the best thing to do is refuse to install a wnc lnb. The 700's dont have any issues with the eagle aspen LNB.

And this is only with H24-700's, i have not had any issues with HR24's besides the ones that did the demonic channel changing and i only found two of those, those were HR-24-500's

The only problems we had with H24-100's were overheating issues, not alot i maybe had 15 of them all last summer. OnO installs refurbed h24-100's that have the problems fixed. So those guys dont ever see any of these issues.

20. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Not knowing exactly what your situation is, it seems like your retailer isn't giving you everything you need.
    Having to force download isn't that uncommon, so even if you were to need to do this before rolling on an install [as in this case] your retailer should provide you with power "shouldn't he"?
    Not to shift the blame or source of your problems, but it does kind of sound like your retailer is a major contributor, verses what is being posted from HSP & DirecTV employed installers.