1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stock drives in HR2x

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by TomCat, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Dec 5, 2009 #1 of 11
    TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    OK. I think it might make sense to choose an eSATA drive based on what model drive is installed stock, OE.

IOW, if they use a Barracude 500, would it not make sense then to choose the Barracuda 1.5 or 2 TB version of that drive, the one in that particular line?

Who can stick a pin in that trial balloon? :)

Regardless of the soundness of the theory, just what drives are installed stock?

2. Dec 6, 2009 #2 of 11
    gully_foyle

gully_foyle Hall Of Fame

Jan 18, 2007
    Los Angeles
  3. Dec 6, 2009 #3 of 11
    dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    I wouldn't worry about what brand the stock drive is.

Can't go wrong with an Antec MX-1 and a WD drive. (I don't really like Seagate)

4. Dec 6, 2009 #4 of 11
    bpaulson

bpaulson Legend

Jul 12, 2009
    You really can't go wrong with either... (I like seagate but everyone has their own opinion.)

Personally I'd get whatever one was in the price range I was looking for and carried the longest warranty (unless it was a lot more expensive.)

I know seagates carry 5 year warranties on them... WD used to be 3 but they may have changed it now.

5. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    It isn't that I am "worried" about what the stock drive is, it is that there are definitely combinations that do not work, and I would prefer to stick with what DTV is using to help avoid that scenario.

IMHO, you can easily "go wrong" with either a Seagate or a WD, as there are anecdotal reports right on this forum of both of them being problematic, as there are reports of the MX-1 being problematic in combination with certain DVR models. I am a little less concerned with bargain shopping or getting the best deal and a litle more concerned with getting something that will not aggravate me to the point of wanting to hurl it off my balcony.

Or maybe I just would like someone to humor me, and tell us what the stock drives are, if anyone knows.

6. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Check some of the first look documents. I think there are photos of the drives in some of those. There is also a thread about upgrading the drive in a DVR with detailed photos.

7. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Going into the boot menu [press select during "running receiver self test"] should list the exact hard drive installed.

8. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    IIRC there is no one "stock" drive. There have been Seagates in some and WD's in others. I also believe its been posted here that at least recently they have been using drives rated for A/V usage...a different series of drives.

I've yet to read an example here of an MX-1 enclosure not working with an HR2x model that wasnt traced back to something faulty(bad drive, bad case, bad cable, even bad eSATA port on HR). Without much effort you should be able to find examples of someone using an MX-1 with all 4 HR models. Can a new drive be DOA? Of course, and ALL manufacturer's have them. ANY new piece of electronics can arrive DOA.

9. drpjr

drpjr Icon

Nov 23, 2007
    Sakatomatoes...
    It just so happens I replaced an HR20-100 internal drive today. Santa came a bit early. The stock drive is a WD Caviar SE Model#WD3200JS-63PDB1. I did the same replacement on another box about 3-4 months ago and that stock drive was a WD AV Model #WD3200AVBS-63TAA0.:) Hope that helps.

10. webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    Whachya get (from santa)? 1TB 1.5TB 2TB

11. drpjr

drpjr Icon

Nov 23, 2007
    Sakatomatoes...
    A 1.5TB WD. It was so simple even I could do it.:lol: The first one I did was a 1TB. The next one will be a 2TB when the price comes down a bit.:D There is no such thing as too much storage.:nono2: