1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

strange call from Dish Marketing?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by wamjdavis, May 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wamjdavis

wamjdavis Cool Member

Jun 20, 2004
    Last night I recieved a call from a call center outside the US (persons speaking had strongly accented English) asking me to upgrade my Dish Service. They claimed to be from Dish but did not know what my actual service was. Furthermore, when I explained I had a vip-622, Everything pak, and HD service, they said they could upgrade me and save me money.

It was frustrating to get them to understand that no upgrading was necessary, because I had everything!

Along the way, I was switched from the initial caller to the "supervisor" who seemed to just as little but ended up pressing me to give them another name to contact so I could save $5 a month on my Dish bill.

This call disturbed me, and so I am wondering if anyone else has had this experience and if it is legit or some sort of scam.

TIA

2. marcuscthomas

marcuscthomas AllStar

May 4, 2006
    I know that this is off topic, but what do you pay for the everything pack with HD? I too have that pack (with locals) and am wondering what other are paying for the same thing.

Sorry for the off-topic question.

3. damjr

damjr AllStar

Mar 10, 2004
    This is probabaly a scam. There are companies in Pakastan, India, etc...... that seem to have access to the Dish customer data base.
    I have retailers that have sent me emails from them promising new customer leads only to find out that they are existing customers.

Do not give them any information !!!!!

4. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    If you are interested in anything they offer (which it sounds like you are not) ask for a phone number that you can use to call back.

5. wamjdavis

wamjdavis Cool Member

Jun 20, 2004
    I did not give them any info, of course.

I think I should have saved the phone number and reported it to Dish Network because random telemarketing groups in Pakistan and India should not have access to Dish's database of subscribers.

While Dish may think it is important for their security team to catch service thieves, as a subscriber I think it is important that they keep up their end of the contract with respect to privacy of subscribers. They should figure out if their computing systems were hacked or some unhappy former or current employee sold that information.

6. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    DISH does have a call center in India for marketing. Rupees do come cheaper than dollars and Charlie dosen't mind offending customers if he feels he will gain more than he will spend.

7. allargon

allargon Legend

May 2, 2007
    Before I upgraded to HD, I got a call from Dish (probably about 6 months ago) asking if I wanted to add Starz to my programming. This woman was definitely from the US (not Canda either). I declined.

All companies do this. They are exempt for the "no call" list because they have a pre-existing business relationship with you. My phone and credit card companies try to market extra stuff to me, too. I just decline or tell them I'm busy. That's that!

8. wamjdavis

wamjdavis Cool Member

Jun 20, 2004
    I get these legitimate but annoying phone calls from other services I have too. My problem is that I don't think this was a legitimate call they did not know what service I had already or really understand even the service packages Dish offers.
    All the call center personnel knew was my phone number, name, and that I was a Dish subscriber. I think it was a scam.

9. Oldford

Oldford Cool Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Hang up on them. They don't care and you shouldn't either.

Best regards from eastern Maine, Eric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.