1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange over the air question

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by lakebum431, Jul 17, 2005.

1. lakebum431

lakebum431 Icon

Jun 30, 2005
    I hope someone might have an idea on this one. I live in the Atlanta area and I'm trying to avoid putting up an outdoor antenna for Digital OTA reception. In the Atlanta area all but 1 (NBC) of the channels is UHF. So I bought a Zenith Silver Sensor (which is supposed to be a UHF only antenna but others in ATL are able to get the NBC station with it). So I hooked it up and have very good signal on all channels (all over 80 strength), except the NBC channel. I usually get 65-70 on NBC, but it cuts out often. So I bought a signal booster at Radio Shack. When I plug it up the NBC channel comes in great (almost a 100 signal). But, here is the problem, all of the other signal strengths are reduced and the Fox affiliate cuts out and I get the acquiring signal screen. Any ideas why this is happening or what I can do to fix this?

2. greywolf

greywolf DBSTalk Club Member

Jul 13, 2005
    The stronger signals are being overdriven by the amp. You could try a variable attenuator to see if you can find a setting where the stronger channels don't get overdriven but the weak channel is amplified enough. Probably the best bet though is a UHF/VHF combo antenna. The Radio Shack 15-1880 gets some good reports. Another option is to add a pair of rabbit ears for NBC and use UVSJ or UHF/VHF splitter joiner to combine the 2 antennas.

3. zephyr

zephyr Legend

Jun 25, 2005
    I agree. I tried an antenna amplifier and had the same issues, though not in the Atlanta area. There are some technical issues with combining antennas, but this inexpensive solution is worth a try.

There are websites that will map the distance and direction to the stations in your area. That will give you a hint as to how to proceed. Try http://titantv.com/ttv/AntennaSelector/start.aspx. It has mapping software. A unit built as a combined UHF/VHF indoor antenna may work, if transmitters are in the same direction. An attic antenna may be a good compromise.

Good luck!

4. greywolf

greywolf DBSTalk Club Member

Jul 13, 2005
    A UVSJ does have the usual technical issues of combining antennas. It keeps the UHF and VHF frequencies separate so is perfect for combining a VHF antenna with a UHF antenna.

5. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Moving to Broadcast HDTV Forum, as this is not directly 942 related.

6. lakebum431

lakebum431 Icon

Jun 30, 2005
    Sorry, Mark. I didn't mean to put this in the wrong place. I'm kinda new here.

7. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    No worries, lakebum! I just wanted your thread to be seen by the widest audience.